Growing old....
Reaction score
Please Welcome Fred B

Please Welcome

Fred B

to
:thumb: The PCReview Crew II! :thumb:

happywave.gif

Fred is pitching his tent in the beer garden of the Tavern and camping with us for a while to help our push into the Top 100 :cool:

For those who don't know him - he is the highest producer for HomeBrewers at WCG, and if you read their team thread you will also see he posts some pretty tasty recipes
nod.gif

Hopefully he will also allow us to sample some of his homebrew at the Tavern Bar ;)

:thumb: Welcome Fred - and thank you for lending a hand :thumb:

Reaction score
thanks for helping fred b

A big welcome to Fred:wave:

Home Brewing, hmmm Beer. Used to make my own homebrew, stopped after a 20 litre bucket of beer exploded in the airing cubboard:blush: May be you did not need to know that?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Welcome Fred! :D

Feel free to stay as long as you like! :)

Here is a temporary banner for you. :thumb:

4s0.png

http://sig.sx.am/4s0.png[/img[color=Red]}[/color]

:cool:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
mucks trying on best Welsh accent ...

Hello Camper

welcome Fred B to The PCReview Crew II crunchers

:D
A Scot trying to imitate the Welsh language:) now theres a novelty:lol:init jock:wave:
Croeso at yr e Pcreview Ciwed Fred!:thumb: [Hi] to you lot:p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Love the Welsh language guys - just a shame Fred's American :lol:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Hiya fred :wave: Soz I'm late, I don't tend to get online much on the weekends & I was feeling thick yesturday so missed this thread altogether :blush:

Welcome & good to have you here, hope the tavern's beer is up to your standard :D

Reaction score
Thanks all!

feckit said:
A big welcome to Fred:wave:

Home Brewing, hmmm Beer. Used to make my own homebrew, stopped after a 20 litre bucket of beer exploded in the airing cubboard:blush: May be you did not need to know that?

Firstly, thanks to all for making me feel welcome, it's a true pleasure to be here.

I also must admit that my first attempt at a brew (a blueberry ale) overstepped its bounds a bit. Fortunately, I was in the kitchen next to the case (using Grolsch-style ceramic caps with rubber gaskets) when it started making a truly unusual noise - the gasket giving way. Needless to say, it found its way quickly into the backyard. Since then, I am very careful in measuring the referment sugar (I only brew cider, cyser, mead, melomel, etc - no more beers, they're too easy to buy in the store.)

Cheers
FB
(still unpacking the homemade booze from the last move)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hi Fred.
happywave.gif

Blueberry that stains,that could have been very messy! :(

While your here have a beer at the Tavern. We are just celebrating Englands win tonight against Hungary! :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Great to see you over here Fred
happywave.gif
- and thanks again for giving us a helping hand :cool:

Looks like home brewing can be dangerous then, and not just the drinking of it :eek:
If you pop along to the pub, perhaps we can sample a bit of your cider
eatdrink007.gif

:D

Reaction score
Yes, enfin, un poquito

Adywebb said:
Love the Welsh language guys - just a shame Fred's American :lol:

American by adoption, at any rate. I have enough trouble with Celtic words - Welsh is beyond my capacity.

Si quieren hablar Espanol, ou bien si vous preferez le Francais, the please help yourselves! (and forgive the lack of accents, my US keyboard won't do them and I don't type enough other languages to have learned the magic combinations)

Reaction score
Hmm home brew

Hmmm home brew, may we need to start a new thread "the rough guide to brewing" Oh, dont make cider living near cider country it's in ample supply:rolleyes: And my mate Exmoor brews it how it should be done;) :D

Glad you enjoy it here Fred B:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Fred B said:
American by adoption, at any rate. I have enough trouble with Celtic words - Welsh is beyond my capacity.

Si quieren hablar Espanol, ou bien si vous preferez le Francais, the please help yourselves! (and forgive the lack of accents, my US keyboard won't do them and I don't type enough other languages to have learned the magic combinations)
No problem - I struggle with English :D

*ok ok you lot - no need to all start agreeing :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Lucky souls, to live so close to apple trees!

There is a patch of apples about 250km away, and during harvest, I pick up as many liters of unpasteurized juice as I can. One particular mill has just the right combination of natural yeasts so I don't need to add my own, just keep it cold and let it get happy. The rest of the year, I make do with pasteurized from another, larger producer.

Victory over Hungary? Well done England! Pints all around!

Cheers
FB

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Must admit I do love REAL cider - and Somerset is a joy to visit to sample some top stuff :nod:

You sure have to travel a long way to get your apple juice Fred - but it sounds like its worth it - what sort of ABV does it come out like?

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You sure have to travel a long way to get your apple juice Fred - but it sounds like its worth it - what sort of ABV does it come out like?

The advantage of all that desert sun is that fruit comes out very sweet (and I sometimes toss in a handful of corn sugar if I use yeast conditioners, just to get it started), so I've started with 1.160 SGs, and ended up just above 5% with a sweet cider. The one time I made a champagne yeast cider, I got almost 6% ABV. I've been letting some age past 6 years, and as soon as I find it, I'm going to try some. The last time I had a taste (about 2 years ago?) it was "ghosting" - how to describe - the apple flavor was almost transparent, leaving a difficult to describe complex of apple sub-flavors with a hint of yeast sourness - really quite different, but I'm curious to see where it goes.

I'm also waiting for the 10 year anniversary of my first melomel (raspberry) to open it back up and test the results. Only 1 1/2 more years to wait!

My favorite, however, is a cyser (apple mead) which I make sparkling, and extra sweet (3KG honey per 25 liters). I use a desert honey (mixed wildflowers and mesquite) which is darker than most, not as sweet as orange or clover, and I find blends with apples quite well. Best to drink it very cold, and slowly.

Cheers
FB

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm...... Now I'm thirsty! That mead sounds fantastic!

Quite tempted to give it a go now.

Never tried home brewing before. Mostly thought of it in terms of beer & *whispers* I don't like beer But don't tell ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question