[PL] pricelesswarehome.org W3C/accessibility thoughts

Adam Piggott

burnr

Hello all/Susan,

I've always been an advocate of clean, standards-compliant web sites
and having them accessible to all web users.

Looking at the plh.org site, the code looks pretty clean and organised
and I was wondering what sort of effort would be required to bring it
closer to HTML standards and make it open to a wider audience.

I'd be interested in helping out with this as I can code HTML and CSS
and think that we should be able to maintain a very similar layout and
style and keep it 100% standards-based. Could also offer an RSS feed
for updates!

What are the thoughts of those involved in maintaining the site and
anyone else who would be able to help if they had the chance?

Susan maintains the site all by herself. (a huge effort btw) I can't
speak for Susan, but I do know she is very interested in having PWH
available to as many as possible. I personally would love seeing an RSS
feed implemented and have many times thought of providing it, but time
limitations have kept me from it. Especially this time of year, Susan is
very busy and already spends an enormous amount of time trying to keep
the 2006 selection process straight. I'm pretty confident she would
agree she hasn't the time to mess with new implimentations such as RSS
and CSS.

I imagine she'll reply to your request and I'd be happy to work with
folks willing to provide some assistance with site improvements.

Susan Bugher

Adam said:
Hello all/Susan,

I've always been an advocate of clean, standards-compliant web sites and
having them accessible to all web users.

Looking at the plh.org site, the code looks pretty clean and organised and
I was wondering what sort of effort would be required to bring it closer to
HTML standards and make it open to a wider audience.

Hello Adam,

I don't validate the HTML code every time I upload new sets of pages -
something I do pretty much every day. The changing content does
introduce minor errors. If you've spotted something serious please advise.
I'd be interested in helping out with this as I can code HTML and CSS and
think that we should be able to maintain a very similar layout and style
and keep it 100% standards-based. Could also offer an RSS feed for updates!

Could you offer some specifics about the changes that are needed to make
the site open to a wider audience? I've not as familiar as I'd like to
be with accessibility guidelines. Advice would be most welcome.

What *kind* of information would an RSS feed furnish? I don't understand
how the "updates" concept relates to the Pricelessware/ACF web pages -
other than the version updates on the PL2005 pages.
What are the thoughts of those involved in maintaining the site and anyone
else who would be able to help if they had the chance?

Offers of help are always welcome. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware