[PL] PL2006 - Final selection

Susan Bugher

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php

In special cases programs may be placed on a Ware Ballot to determine if
the program's ware description is acceptable to newsgroup participants.
The Ware ballot is used only to determine elegibility.. A two-thirds
majority in favor of acceptance is required for a program to be eligible
for the Pricelessware List.

I plan to post a Ware Ballot tomorrow. A draft of the ballot is below.
Comments? Suggested revisions?

Susan

*************************

PL WARE BALLOT: DAEMON Tools

VOTING (1 week): November 18 - November 24, 2005

This ballot is to determine if DAEMON Tools should be removed from
PL2005 and NOT selected for PL2006. A two-thirds majority in favor of
acceptance is required for the program to remain on/ be eligible for the
Pricelessware List.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php

"There are NO Adware/Spyware programs on the Pricelessware List."

The latest version of DAEMON Tools includes something they describe as
Adware. Installation of the program is optional (opt-out). See:

http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/notes.html

There's been some discussion about the "DAEMON Tools Searchbar" in their
forum (including some accusations that it is Spyware):

http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/f33-daemon-tools-searchbar.html

To vote on this ballot:

LEAVE THE STATEMENT YOU AGREE WITH.
Remove the statement you do NOT agree with.

DAEMON Tools:
is eligible for the Pricelessware List.
is NOT eligible for the Pricelessware List.

******************************

Vegard Krog Petersen

[...]

I don't dare test it...
But:
- ADWARE INCLUDED - you can, however, UNCHECK that ADWARE at installation!

This text should perhaps be in the Ware Ballott?

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Steven Burn

Susan Bugher said:
[...]

Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Vegard Krog Petersen

Steven, you jumped the gun, we were not supposed to vote yet :) :) :)

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
I don't dare test it...
But:

This text should perhaps be in the Ware Ballott?

I did say "Installation of the program is optional (opt-out)." Guess it
would be MUCH clearer if I said "Installation of the Adware is optional
(opt-out)." I will revise. . .

BTW - the actual ballot will be posted in a new "Ware Ballot" thread.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher said:
All the people that use this app must be on vacation. I had hoped that
by now someone would have posted enough information about the
installation and behavior of the Adware that's bundled with the app so
we could have a semi-intelligent ;) discussion.

IMO we should have a discussion first and then proceed to a vote if that
seems indicated. Today WAS supposed to be the day the final PL was
posted. I'm going to defer that till we get this sorted out.

Susan

It has been mentioned in a couple of threads, but not in connection with the
PW issue, and not with enough info on what actually happens when you install
it to permit discussion - unless it's in todays posts, of course.

Mike

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher said:
[...]

Another option to consider - can we point to the "Last Adware-Free version?"

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher

Another option to consider - can we point to the "Last Adware-Free version?"

Great suggestion! :) DAEMON Tools archives earlier versions so
availability of the file should not be a problem.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

Download: DAEMON Tools 3.47

Thanks Mike. I'll scratch the ware ballot and revise the program
descriptions.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Fitzsimons

Mike Bourke wrote:
Great suggestion! :) DAEMON Tools archives earlier versions so
availability of the file should not be a problem.

Download: DAEMON Tools 3.47
Thanks Mike. I'll scratch the ware ballot and revise the program
descriptions.

IMO what you should do is add to that "There is a later no cost
version available but it has *optional* adware. During installation
you can choose not to have it and the program still works normally."

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Bjorn Abelli

It has been mentioned in a couple of threads, but not in
connection with the PW issue, and not with enough info on
what actually happens when you install it to permit
discussion - unless it's in todays posts, of course.

As noone else seem to really have tried it, I made the attempt to install
v4.

Well, here's what happened on my Windows XP Pro:

After an initial startup of the installation, it asks me to reboot to
complete the installation. When it was up again, and I was to log in to my
machine...

Blue Screen Of Death!

Not anything I've been used to since I installed XP...

I managed to read from the dump what had happened, went to failsafe mode and
uninstalled the Novell Client from my machine, as it obviously conflicts
with Daemon Tools (I'm not in the need of NW right now).

After that, I rebooted, and the installation guide of Daemon appeared.

It's *not* obvious at installation that it will install Adware, as the
Adware component is called "Daemon Tool bar" without any mention of Adware.
It's easy to miss, especially if you're not warned and instructed on the
issue beforehand.

I think the best solution is what already have been suggested in this thread
somewhere, to let the last adware-free version remain on the list.

// Bjorn A

BTW. The conflict with Novell Client seems to be known by the authors, as I
went to their forum after installation, and there was a note on that issue.

For those *still* interested in trying out v4, I suggest that you read
through their "bug-forum" first, to check whether there are other issues,
which can occur with other programs.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/f14-daemon-tools-bug-report.html

Bjorn Abelli

It's *not* obvious at installation that it will install
Adware, as the Adware component is called "Daemon Tool bar"
without any mention of Adware. It's easy to miss, especially
if you're not warned and instructed on the issue beforehand.

My fingers slipped, so I missed a word, that would
be "Daemon Tools Search Bar"...
I think the best solution is what already have been suggested
in this thread somewhere, to let the last adware-free version
remain on the list.

// Bjorn A

Mike Bourke

John Fitzsimons said:
version?"

IMO what you should do is add to that "There is a later no cost
version available but it has *optional* adware. During installation
you can choose not to have it and the program still works normally."

Regards, John.

Adding John's suggested comments with a second link would resolve the issue
to everyone's satisfaction, I think.

Mike

Susan Bugher

IMO what you should do is add to that "There is a later no cost
version available but it has *optional* adware. During installation
you can choose not to have it and the program still works normally."

Have you tested the latest version?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bjorn Abelli

John Fitzsimons wrote:

Have you tested the latest version?

I posted a short description of my experience of installing v4 somewhere
else in this thread. Maybe it hasn't showed up yet, but my suspicions were
confirmed. IMHO I think that the list should *not* promote v4, as the
"unchecking" of the Adware easily can be missed. I agree to the suggestion
to have v3.47 listed.

If there would be an addition in text about the v4 version, I think it
rather should be more explicit, like:

"There is a later no cost version available but it have
*optional* adware. During installation you can choose
not to have it by unchecking "Daemon Tools Search Bar"
and the program still works normally."

....or something.

There are also some issues with incompatibilities with other drivers, that
the user may already have installed, e.g. the Novell Client, which I had to
uninstall to make Daemon Tools v4 work.

// Bjorn A

Susan Bugher

Bjorn said:

My fingers slipped, so I missed a word, that would
be "Daemon Tools Search Bar"...

Hi Bjorn,

Yup - the vote was for an Adware-free version of the app - since that
version of DAEMON Tools is still available for download there's no need
to remove the program from PL2005 and PL2006. :)

Thank you very much for testing the installation. It's a pity they don't
explain the nature of the "Daemon Tools Search Bar" clearly during the
installation process - especially since it's OPT-OUT. It's sounds like a
lot of innocents are in for an unpleasant surprise. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Bjorn said:
"Susan Bugher" wrote...
I posted a short description of my experience of installing v4 somewhere
else in this thread. Maybe it hasn't showed up yet, but my suspicions were
confirmed. IMHO I think that the list should *not* promote v4, as the
"unchecking" of the Adware easily can be missed. I agree to the suggestion
to have v3.47 listed.

Saw that, thanks again. :) :) :)
If there would be an addition in text about the v4 version, I think it
rather should be more explicit, like:
...or something.

The "or something" will probably be along these lines:

NOTE: Later versions are bundled with Adware. You must UNCHECK the
installation of the "Daemon Tools Search Bar" to avoid installation of
the Adware.
There are also some issues with incompatibilities with other drivers, that
the user may already have installed, e.g. the Novell Client, which I had to
uninstall to make Daemon Tools v4 work.

IMO information/warnings about incompatibilities are usually best
omitted from the PL pages. They often require more expertise than we
have available here and may change as new versions come out. KISS. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bjorn Abelli

NOTE: Later versions are bundled with Adware. You must UNCHECK the
installation of the "Daemon Tools Search Bar" to avoid installation of the
Adware.

Yes, much more to the point. :)
IMO information/warnings about incompatibilities are usually best omitted
from the PL pages. They often require more expertise than we have
available here and may change as new versions come out. KISS. . . ;)

Well, I didn't mean that part to be in the PL info either, more of
information to the readers of this newsgroups. :)

Cheerio.

// Bjorn A

John Fitzsimons

Have you tested the latest version?

Not yet, BUT if I can choose to install it without the adware I will
probably try it out sometime in the future.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

The "or something" will probably be along these lines:
NOTE: Later versions are bundled with Adware. You must UNCHECK the
installation of the "Daemon Tools Search Bar" to avoid installation of
the Adware.

Why not a combination of yours, and Bjorn's ?

NOTE: There is a later no cost version available, bundled with
*optional* Adware. During installation you must UNCHECK the
installation of the "Daemon Tools Search Bar" to avoid it. If you
do this then the program still works normally."