PL: Change the PL Slogan or Not - Vote Here

wald

I think this whole discussion is premature. If and when we have
actual Linux (or at least non-Microsoft) Pricelessware beyond a
few token items, then we should consider a change or even
multiple slogans.

The actual problem is, that most software for Linux is open source
software, so all these Linux programs are potential candidates for
the PL website. And believe me, that list is ENORMOUS.

Once you start adding specific Linux programs, PL will explode to
massive proportions and become unmaintainable.

On the other hand, I would still skip the "Windows" from the slogan.
Lots of programs that are on PL are cross-platform, and for sure
also run on Linux. Also, currently "Debian" is listed somewhere on
PL, and I would hardly call that Windows Freeware <g>

That's my reasoning, and that's why I have voted for "The best of
the best of Freeware as determined by the readers of
alt.comp.freeware" somewhere else in this thread.

Regards,
Wald

Mel

Garrett said:
It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that the
slogan of Pricelessware be changed from:

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

Could I suggest putting [PL] (I think this was the agreed tag for OT priceless threads)
in the thread title rather than PL: to make them consistently easy to filter.

Note that when replying certain newsreaders, ie OE will replace any two letters followed
by a colon with RE: rather than append RE: to the start :(

As for your poll, why not just drop the OS altogether, although I would
suggest pricelessware is the most popular freeware, not necessarily the best...

Jaime Littlebeaver

It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that the
slogan of Pricelessware be changed from:

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

to:

"The best of the best in Freeware for Windows©
(and other OS) as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

<snip>

Place your votes here people, keep the slogan the way it is, or change
it to the suggested one?

-Garrett

It has been mentioned by someone that the original concept was to have
different freeware newsgroups for different operating systems. A statement
has also been made to the effect that alt.comp.freeware is open to anyone
who wishes to discuss and share information about "freeware". Another
claim is that the PL is "a list of 'priceless' freeware that the
participants in alt.comp.freeware have determined to be the 'best of the
best' (my paraphrase).

It seems to this little papoose that the slogan should reflect this open
acceptance of "software that can be had by all without being required to
compensate anyone for said software".

In this spirit, I agree with those who have voted for "The best of the best
in Freeware as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware" thus
maintaining the open acceptance implied by the above concepts and not
excluding anyone because of their choice of operating systems.

Jaime Littlebeaver

Aaron

I vote retain.
I vote for this version. Who cares about other OSs anyway?!

It's a matter of accuracy. From obeversation the vast majority of the
people here are Windows people , looking for windows software. In fact
that's the default assumption I believe when someone asks for a solution
to his problem.

I seriously doubt we have enough feedback about other os freeware like
linux for us to claim accurately that the pricelessware list has the best
of best freeware for other Operating systems besides windows. Not without
being misleading anyway.

For example in the spam filter category, some of the most popular linux
spam filters like Spam assasin, Spamprobe etc are not mentioned. I really
doubt the voting preference here really accurately reflects what is
really the best freeware for all but Windows freeware.

I vote retain

Glenn

I confess I haven't read all of the couple dozen posts about this subject
but it has always been my experience that the only one who reads a "slogan"
is the one that wrote it.

On other words, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Glenn

Cousin Stanley

Garrett wrote ....
It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that the
slogan of Pricelessware be changed ....

Garrett ....

+1 for the OS-Agnostic version ....

"The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware."

Nuke the *W* word ....

Cousin Bill Gates gets more than his share
of free advertising as it is ....

Lenny Nero

Lenny said:
[...]
Everyone else,
I wish the other people who sit back and do not vote would do so, so
we won't get 'The majority voted this' quote when that is not true.

The reason why I have stopped lurking and going to put a bit more
input...

L.

Thank you Lenny. It would be nice to see how the real process works as
it does during the Fall PL Ware nominations and discussion. How did you
hear me under the noise of the black helicopters?

I am hoping to keep up with this group a bit better, not my usual week or
two behind.

An the helicopters bit is a long running joke, as they are not suposed too
make any noise :)

L.

Colin

It was also suggested to change it to "The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware." My vote is for this
suggestion.

So is mine.

Regards,
Colin

Garrett

Ben Cooper wrote:

[snip]
So, you go from one extreme to the other.

I'm sorry, asking for the group to vote on something is extreme?
First, you change things on
your site with no discussion or call for votes and now you demand
that any change be called for a vote.

Um, is this not what you yourself preached and argued recently? I'm
just going by what I was told by you and some others here, that changes
need to be approved by the members of this group.
Sorry, Garrett, but anyone interested is already following the other
threads. Besides, you've already conceded to Susan the duty of
conducting Pricelessware minutiae. Are you recanting?

The other thread is merely a discussion, this is a vote regarding what
was being discussed. I don't think there's anything wrong with this.

Susan is allowed to run the yearly voting for inclusions and removal of
programs in the pricelessware list. Are you trying to tell me that
only she can run the votes of everything else regarding the list? Hmm,
I don't think the group asked her to do this.

I'm sorry that you are not happy with me *asking* the group to vote on
this. The discussion was in a mislabeled thread anyway, and I did not
want the members of this group to miss out on something as important as
this.

-Garrett

Garrett

dszady said:
Garrett said:
It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that
the slogan of Pricelessware be changed from:

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

to:

"The best of the best in Freeware for Windows©
(and other OS) as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."
[...]
Place your votes here people, keep the slogan the way it is, or
change it to the suggested one?

-Garrett
Garrett,
Inadvertently, you have missed the other slogan which was brought up
in an earlier thread:

'The best of the best of Freeware as determined by the
readers of alt.comp.freeware'.

There are only two choices?

Everyone else,
I wish the other people who sit back and do not vote would do so, so
we won't get 'The majority voted this' quote when that is not true.

I am sure there are people who aren't going to vote on anything for
fear of incurring the wrath of the already polarized factions of the
group. Be heard. Vote. Have an opinion. These are group projects.
The questions the Webmasters ask are for your benefit. Not to start
another fight, I hope.

It's up to Susan and Garrett to agree on procedures. It's up to
us(and the WMs) to have an opinion.

The reason I brought this up, is because everyone is suppose to have a
say in these things. If I hadn't brought this to properly labeled
thread, everyone might have missed the so-called discussion of it in
another thread.

Sorry if I missed alternatives to the slogan. If it was missed, we all
can surely bring it up again once this one is over. I don't have any
issues with it.

-Garrett

Garrett

Cousin Stanley wrote:

Cousin Stanley! Long time no see! Glad to see you're still around.
Garrett wrote ....

Garrett ....

+1 for the OS-Agnostic version ....

"The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware."

Nuke the W word ....

Cousin Bill Gates gets more than his share
of free advertising as it is ....

ROFLMAO! I can understand that! :)

-Garrett

Garrett

Mel wrote:

[snip]
Could I suggest putting [PL] (I think this was the agreed tag for OT
priceless threads) in the thread title rather than PL: to make them
consistently easy to filter.

Sorry about that. I did know this but overlooked it. I will try to
keep with that more properly.

-Garrett

Garrett

MLC said:
dszady_, giovedì 19/ago/2004:
Garrett said:
It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that the >> slogan of Pricelessware be changed from:

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

to:

"The best of the best in Freeware for Windows©
(and other OS) as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."
[...]

I would prefer 'The best of the best of Freeware as determined by
the readers of alt.comp.freeware'.

Me too, and ISTM that at last this was the choice for those who
proposed to change, then I can't understand why here we should vote
for a previous abandoned choice.
But given the two choices above I would go for the latter.

I don't. Why here has not been considered the choice 'The best of the
best of Freeware as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware' ?

Hey, once this is done, we can do this again to decided on that also.
There's nothing wrong with us doing this you know. So once this is
over, if you and a few others who have brought this up don't start a
vote on this, I'll do it for you. At least get it going. The reason
the above two were set on this one, is because they were the two
choices originally involved in another thread.

-Garrett

Garrett

REM said:
I replied to another thread before this one.

I vote to change, if this is the only option.

Rather, if viable, I vote that you stay with Win freeware, because
you are maintaining the site and prefer to stay focused on Windows,
and the new site change the slogan and include other operating
systems.

Does anyone agree with the dual solution?

I do apologize if you misunderstood this.. This isn't about any web
site, it's about the list itself. THis has nothing to do with me
personally, but the list itself and the group at least getting a chance
to actually make a decision on this kind of thing. Had I know brought
this up, most of this group would have known that there was something
going on with regards to the slogan, since it was in a thread that was
not titled with a subject line that would have allowed the members of
this group to know that the slogan was being discussed for change.

-Garrett

cu

Garrett wrote ....

Garrett ....

+1 for the OS-Agnostic version ....

"The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware."

Nuke the *W* word ....

Cousin Bill Gates gets more than his share
of free advertising as it is ....
I vote "Yes" to change, and yes to this =
"The best of the best in Freeware as determined by the readers of
alt.comp.freeware".

Allen.

OhnO the Clown

<snip>

I vote "Yes" to a change,
and prefer this =
"The best of the Freeware as determined by the readers of
alt.comp.freeware".

OhnO the Clown

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Omar=A9?=

Garrett said:
It has been suggested in a topic that was not titled properly, that the
slogan of Pricelessware be changed from:

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

to:

"The best of the best in Freeware for Windows©
(and other OS) as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

Let's not bury this important thing like the site move, let us allow
all the users here have the opportunity to voice their opinion on this.
After all, it should be determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware,
and not just a small handful of people who have a problem with being
open with voting on things like this

Place your votes here people, keep the slogan the way it is, or change
it to the suggested one?

-Garrett

I like 'The best of the best of Freeware as determined by the
readers of alt.comp.freeware'.
So I vote for it.
Omar
--
"When I am right, No one remembers
When I am wrong, No one forgets"

The Home of Pricelessware 2004
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "Aaron" <[email protected]>
* Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:06:13 -0500 GMT
* Subj: Re: Change the PL Slogan or Not - Vote Here

A>I seriously doubt we have enough feedback about other os freeware
A>like linux for us to claim accurately that the pricelessware list
A>has the best of best freeware for other Operating systems besides
A>windows. Not without being misleading anyway.

A>For example in the spam filter category, some of the most popular
A>linux spam filters like Spam assasin, Spamprobe etc are not
A>mentioned. I really doubt the voting preference here really
A>accurately reflects what is really the best freeware for all but
A>Windows freeware.

A>I vote retain

A voice of reason from the wilderness. I agree for this reason among
others. Retain the present slogan.

Nicolaas Hawkins

I replied to another thread before this one.

I vote to change, if this is the only option.

Rather, if viable, I vote that you stay with Win freeware, because you are
maintaining the site and prefer to stay focused on Windows, and the new site
change the slogan and include other operating systems.

Does anyone agree with the dual solution?

I, for one, do NOT agree - is is simply another method (intentional or not
- I will not speculate) of driving a wedge between the two "factions" when
we should all be here for a common purpose, working for unification
and not division.