Personal Firewall / Router

M.Siler

I'm in need of replacing my Linksys BEFSR41 as it has developed a bad port.
I'm wondering if there is a personal firewall / router product that does
with the Linksys does but provides a bit more than NAT? Any suggestions?

Malke

M.Siler said:
I'm in need of replacing my Linksys BEFSR41 as it has developed a bad
port. I'm wondering if there is a personal firewall / router product
that does
with the Linksys does but provides a bit more than NAT? Any
suggestions?

A client has a Netgear router - his was the wireless version. It was
*very* nice, with lots of options.

Malke

Rajiv Sharma

You can either buy Linksys VPN/firewall router or you can buy Netgear
VPN/Firewall Router.

Bobby Sledge

Look at the new Buffalo lineup...their 54G router outperforms any others I
have tried, including Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link.

Bobby

patricko

Curiosity as to why you say Linksys does not have a true SPI

| I agree. The Netgear ProSafe line are true SPI firewalls unlike the
Linksys. ---
| Steve
|
| http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=140&view= --
Certified SPI
| firewall for around $80.
|
| | > I vote - Netgear VPN Firewall(router). Lots of goodies...

| > port.
| > > I'm wondering if there is a personal firewall / router product that
does
| > > with the Linksys does but provides a bit more than NAT? Any
suggestions?

Steven L Umbach

I know there have been problems with the Linksys implementation to the point
that they even "pulled" it from their updates for a while. Another problem I
have with my Linksys is that if I wanted to port foward to a vpn though it
it would not work unless SPI was disabled. I never had a problem with my
Netgear in that regard and you do not even have the option to disable SPI
like in the Linksys. Maybe I should have said it is not near as good an
implementaion of SPI. It may work fine if you do not need to port forward,
but I prefer the Netgear implementation. --- Steve

http://www.hansenonline.net/Networking/linksysFW.html

Steven L Umbach

Yes it can. You can allow certain ip address full access, and other
addresses no or partial access. You can download and read the full manual
from their website, as you can from most manufactures of these
vices. --- Steve