Windows XP PCI.SYS corrupt error message on system bootup

Reaction score
I am getting the following error when I boot up the PC:

"Pci.sys Is Missing or Corrupt"

This error started happening after I swapped out an old PCI modem and replaced it with a Wireless PCI card. I didn't do anything else in Windows to cause this, it happened from the moment I started up the PC after putting in the wireless card.

I have a Windows XP and have tried using it to boot to the recovery screen but this is not working either. There are two CD-ROMs on the PC and I have tried both. After turning the PC on it gets to the screen that says "Press any key to boot from the CD". I have seen the link on support.microsoft.com about this, but there are no other alternatives other than booting with a recovery disk.

After hitting a key it goes for about 5 dots, stops and then comes back with the same PCI.sys corrupt error message.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You could try taking the card out and reinserting it, then reinstall the driver for the card...

Reaction score
Well I got past that error which was simple enough. The wireless keyboard wasn't being recognized (even though it was to get to the BIOS). I used a PS2 keyboard to get t o the boot menu.

Then I got the following error:
An unexpected error has occurred. (536821760) occurred at line 1768 in D:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c.

This was a RAM problem, so I reseated one of the memory sticks in a different DIMM slot. I got passed this message and was then able to copy the pci.sys file off the cd to the windows directory!

Everything's working now!

Ask a Question