Pc Overhaul

Reaction score
Hi there, hope this gets in the right forum...already wrote it once but lost connection and it booted mt out:mad:

Am looking to overhaul my PC. Wondered if people could recommend board, CPU and RAM?

System doesnt need to do much except the the following...

Handle webcam livechat with no probs,
DVI output
or AGP Support for Geforce 6800 which has DVI on it.
Enough PCI slots to allow TV Card and Wireless card
o/b sound
Some graphics processing but nothing out of the ordinary photo stuff

Have mostly used ASUS before but currently on an aging soltek board.

Not bothered either way with AMD or Intel.

I think i'm on DDR2 at the moment but will probably buy new and fit 2GB.

Not looking to break the bank on this one....budget to mid range is about all i want to pay.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
WB:wave:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

No point keeping an AGP card, you can't get a new motherboard with an AGP slot anyway.

£200 all in.

AMD Dualcore, 2GB RAM, Mobo & 8800GT.

Thats on OCUK.

Attachments

• ocuk.JPG
    ocuk.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Cheers for the help :thumb: and thanks for checking it out....thought AGP might be pushing it:nod: and that 8800 is better than what i've got

Thanks again.
WB

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You're welcome mate, you might wanna check that you have sufficient power and connectors on your PSU if you are gonna go with the 8800GT.

Reaction score
Hi WF

Checked my PSU....it's 300W peak load, it currently powers the 6800 ok but will it be enough?

I went with your 2nd option from Aria but added a few things so when it arrives it should look like this...

MSI K9AG Mobo
GeIL 2Gb ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.80Ghz
XFX Geforce 9500GT 256mb
320Gb Western Digital SATA
2 x NEC SATA DVDRW
125Mb Belkin wireless PCI adaptor
5mb Phlips webcam SPC1000NC

all that for a little over £300:)

Carried over the current set up DVBT PCI Card

Looking at this i'm wondering if going upto a 400W+ PSU is a good idea?

Regards
WB

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You should be alright mate, but its gonna be really close.

Yeah one of the Xilence PSU from Aria is fine, i quite like them, cheap, very quiet and it does the job, about £26 for a 480 i think.

Try it anyway, it will probably work.

Reaction score
WF, Abarbarian...

Thanks. Guess there's little point in burning the PSU out, or worse.

I'm really impressed with the Aria site (although it's a bit like the argos book of dreams, wishlists aplenty!!), they've been great on customer service and they're definitely cheaper than anything in my area. First time i've really bought anything apart from DVD's over the net so all in all a good experience.

Have found this forum to be really friendly and useful. I've kinda made it a habit to check in at least once a day now.

take it easy
wb:wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
wobblybob said:
WF, Abarbarian...

Thanks. Guess there's little point in burning the PSU out, or worse.

I'm really impressed with the Aria site (although it's a bit like the argos book of dreams, wishlists aplenty!!), they've been great on customer service and they're definitely cheaper than anything in my area. First time i've really bought anything apart from DVD's over the net so all in all a good experience.

Have found this forum to be really friendly and useful. I've kinda made it a habit to check in at least once a day now.

take it easy
wb:wave:

You might like to take a look at our crunching team. We are always looking for new members to help out. Why not have a look at the crunching section of the site.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question