New PC...maybe???

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a PC for goin to uni, I do alot of programmeing, gaming, 3D modeling, and the odd bit video edditing.

Basicaly so far I've found this for a £1 under 1300 which is "Xtreme X9450 GTX Pro" from mesh with a fewbells and whistles added added. I wanted to see what people thought of spec price etc

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Defaul...CTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=368857
everything in red i added or upgraded

Intel 2 Quad Q9550 Quad 2.83GHz,12MB Cache,1333MHz
Aluminium ATX Tower + 550W PSU
PCI-Express Mainboard - SLi nForce 750i SLi
8GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (4 x 2GB) upgrade from 4gb
2x 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
Blu-ray ROM Player Dual layer DVD Writer 24 x CD Writer
Super Format 20x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
2x 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV Out
24" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers DVI, 4ms
Digital / Analogue TV Tuner PCI Card
DVI to HDMI converter cable
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound
Logitech S220 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
Multi-format Memory Card Reader (ATX)

Basically at the moment i feel that i should probably go for a bigger psu what do you think?(£150 for the 1000w)
any other thoughts welcome

macca

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Buy Mesh and die.

You have been warned :)

If you're serious, ask about alternatives.

Google Mesh. Go on.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you are gonna build your own then shop around, look at Aria, Ebuyer, Scan but avoid mesh like the plague,

That seems alot for the money, but you can see that they don't know what they doing

550Watt Power Supply running a 9550 Quad, 2 x 9600GT and 2 x 500GB HDD, plus DVD and Fans that is gonna struggle.

Did a quick build on Aria for £1300 you could get,

Antec 900 Case
OCZ 800Watt PSU
Intel QX9450
ASUS P5E X38 Motherboard
8GB Patriot Viper RAM @ 1066Mhz
Bluray ROM
Pinnacle TV Tuner
ATI 4870 which will smash 2 x 9600GT
ASUS 22 Widescreen Monitor

And the icing on the cake

A 300GB WD Velociraptor 10000rpm and a 750GB for storage.

That was £1250.

That would absolutely kick anyones ass.

JUST DON'T GIVE MESH YOUR MONEY!!!!

Reaction score
so mesh is NOT the way to go then. Understood:thumb: ok so I've been away and fiddled about on aria using waynos_face's build as a guide line, bascially i've come up with this

Antec 900 ultimate gamer case
OCZ 800w psu
Asus P5E x38 chipset
2 x patriot 4GB PC2-8500 C5 viper(2x2GB)
Intel Q9450 2.66GHz
Asus GTX 260 896MB
2x500gb sata2 7200rpm
pinnacle digital tv tuner
52 in 1 card reader
terratec aureon 7.1 pci sound card
ergonomic keyboard
razer mouse
24" iiyama wide screen tft-2ms
+vista premium 64bit

for £1337
anygood?

also how easy will this be to sling together and get up and running, as a first time build?

thanks

macca:)

Reaction score
macca400 said:
so mesh is NOT the way to go then. Understood:thumb: ok so I've been away and fiddled about on aria using waynos_face's build as a guide line, bascially i've come up with this

Antec 900 ultimate gamer case
OCZ 800w psu
Asus P5E x38 chipset
2 x patriot 4GB PC2-8500 C5 viper(2x2GB)
Intel Q9450 2.66GHz
Asus GTX 260 896MB
2x500gb sata2 7200rpm
pinnacle digital tv tuner
52 in 1 card reader
terratec aureon 7.1 pci sound card
ergonomic keyboard
razer mouse
24" iiyama wide screen tft-2ms
+vista premium 64bit

for £1337
anygood?

also how easy will this be to sling together and get up and running, as a first time build?

thanks

macca:)

There goes the student loan out the window..Shop around a bit more, you might get the price down a bit..As for how easy..If you have got this far, then not to difficult i'd say..

Reaction score
yeah thats the student loan and some. I have other funds but i belieive buying computer components with sports bursaries is frowned upon ;)

Reaction score
macca400 said:
yeah thats the student loan and some. I have other funds but i belieive buying computer components with sports bursaries is frowned upon ;)

If I remember correctly I had spent my grants before Ihad even got them...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Looks like a great build mate, will be easy to biuld, have a look for a guide on the web, plus if you read the manuals you get with the motherboard and processor then you are laughing.

See if any of the bits you are after are on the super specials.

The ASUS P5E only supports ATI cards.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Looks like a great build mate, will be easy to biuld, have a look for a guide on the web, plus if you read the manuals you get with the motherboard and processor then you are laughing.

See if any of the bits you are after are on the super specials.

The ASUS P5E only supports ATI cards.

Not wanting to sounds daft,(but i relise that i am) but how do i tell which motherboards support which graphcs cards?

Reaction score
macca400 said:
Not wanting to sounds daft,(but i relise that i am) but how do i tell which motherboards support which graphcs cards?

Erm how do you put it..? Oh yeah cause most manufacturers tell you what they support...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you look at the specs it will say whether it supports SLI whichis nvidia or Crossfire which is ATI.

If it has an Nforce chipset then its Nvidia and if its an Intel Chipset it will normally support both.

AMG chipset is ATI.

Reaction score
M8... that's 1 powerfull setup.

However..... everyone forgets the majority of bottlenecking occures on data transfer/access.
To truely make that ideal for video stuff etc..... try adding a RAID controller that does RAID 5 via hardware (data of 2 drives span over 3, it's a cross of mirroring and stripping) and another drive. This also gives you redundancy so no data loss..... unless the whole system dies (extremely unlikely).

It's what I'd recommend to anyone that has a fairly good spec and wants more speed.
I over halfed my startup time and everything is sooo much faster :D

Reaction score
swapped the mother board for a Asus P5N32-E SLI NF680i

Been doing some more shopping around got it down to £1266.50 which i think is not to shabby. I'm getting it from a few sites so iv got £35 p&p which i think is reasonable. so I reckon im pretty much set:)

Reaction score
Just to say that i've now bult my computer and its up and running, its a little temprementle at the moment as i can't get driver updates or such like as I've lost the istallation disk for my adsl modem, so no internet for me for 4-5 working days. The pc is'nt fine tunned (actualy tuned or tweaked atall) yet but it does make GRAW2 look pertty nifty all on high at 1920x1200, and iv not seen the proccessor or gpu running any higher that 51 degrees

Reaction score
Why don't you use another computer to download the Modem drivers to a USB device then install them that way..No need to wait 4 or 5 days..

Reaction score
I had started doing that but, to tell the truth i was just too lazy and too tired to find everything i needed and then use my flash pen to copy it to the new comp.:D yes i know its not very taxxing but I've not had much time to actualy do much with the computer:mad: as I've been working 6-9 most days, and will be for the next few days so i probably wouldn't get it done before the disk for titnternet comes anyway.

Ask a Question