Password protecting Windows Mail

Is there a way to password protect the windows mail program so that when you
click the icon to open the program you will be prompted for a password. I
want to be able to allow others to use the computer and not be able to open
my mail I know that I can protect any new mail from coming in without a pass
word, but I don't want anyone seeing what I have already opened. What I am
trying to achieve is blocking people from opening the program at all. Just
like you were able to do in Outlook Express.

Dave

No, you can't pw protect WM.
You can create other Vista user accounts for them to use, and they can't get
to your data.

Thanks for your quick response. I have been fighting this for 3 days. I guess
Outlook Express does have one thing over Windows Mail.

Eddie

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

jehjeh said:
Thanks for your quick response. I have been fighting this for 3 days. I
guess
Outlook Express does have one thing over Windows Mail.

The OE password protection of identities is pretty much imaginary. It's
easy to import from another identity even if it's password protected.

I password protected my account, just like Express. Tools/Accounts/
mail/properties, then "server" tab where you type in what you want to show in
your subject line. No one can open mail unless they type my password.

Cal Bear '66

That's the password that allows you to access the server to access and download
your e-mail. It has NOTHING to do with someone reading your e-mail once it is
downloaded.

This is very much true. This is really not good if any body come and access
our Downloaded mails. It should have some security so no one can open the
Windows mail without entering passowrd.

I guess i have seen this features before in outlook or something but m not
sure in which version.

Please do any body can help me out with this problem?? may be there is
option and i couldnt find it.

Thanks...

Cal Bear '66

To provide this security, you will need to create separate password protected
Vista Log On user accounts for each user of the PC.

This is how you are protecting user profile not a user mail client.
Sorry to say, i have asked about to protect mail client not a user profile.

Please if any body do have more information that how to protect our mail
client like before entering password no one can see our downloaded mails.

Thank You.

Regards,
Huzefa Sultan

Huzefa Sultan(Kuwait) said:
This is how you are protecting user profile not a user mail client.
Sorry to say, i have asked about to protect mail client not a user
profile.

Please if any body do have more information that how to protect our mail
client like before entering password no one can see our downloaded mails.

That is the way to protect Windows Mail - by protecting the Windows User.

Rick Ross

Frank Saunders said:
"Huzefa Sultan(Kuwait)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

That is the way to protect Windows Mail - by protecting the Windows User.
if your purpose is to allow others "basic" use your computer but prefer they
didn't read your mail...I am trying this right now...
http://www.blumentals.net/protector/
if you try to run windows live mail you'll need a password...
sophisticated users can get around this I am sure but, at least as a
deterrent to the relatively uninitiated, this seems to work..

Gary VanderMolen

If you need protection for your email program, that implies you
are allowing an untrustworthy person to use your computer while
it is logged in to your Windows user profile. Suppose you could
protect your email program; that person would still have full access
to your Documents and Pictures folders. Also, a savvy person
would know that emails are simple text files, so even if the email
program is protected by a password, it doesn't protect the emails.
With Vista, Microsoft realized that it had to stop promoting fake
security ("Identities") so that users would rely on real security
(Windows user profiles).

Gary VanderMolen

Thank for your help! But I can not creat pass word for my window mail by
the way you said. Could you show me more??

Thanks so much!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

brink said:
Hi Fantasy,

I believe that Zookeeper means to uncheck the "Remember me" so that you
will have to enter the username and password for the email account.

In Windows Mail:
1. Click Tools - Accounts
2. Select your email account and click Properties
3. Click Servers tab.
4. Uncheck "Remember Me"
5. Click OK.

Shawn

Realistically that's no protection. Anyone can still read your mail by
opening the individual EML files.

MK

This is ridiculous.