Panasonic NV-DS5 & Firewire do not work

Reaction score
Hi..

I have a Panasonic NV-DS5 digital camcorder with a built-in Firewire port. When I plug it into my laptop's firewire port using 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable it just simply does not recognise it on Windows Xp Sp2. I have also tried plugging it into various other computers via firewire but I get the same result i.e. no connection between computer and camcorder.

Do I need a driver software for this camcorder (not available on Panasonic site)? I have read similar threads and have followed the instructions but still no joy! I have also tried uninstalling firewire drivers and reinstalling them. Please help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the first thing that springs to mind for me is - does the cable actually work? :)

Oh and welcome to the forum :wave:

Reaction score
That was a lightning fast reply! I am impressed. Actually I have tried with various cables also. Believe me, I am posting this after trying various things.

Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You are not alone, it can be a hit or miss with any PC ... welcome to computers. ;)

First, I would check yo have the Firewire port on the PC being recognised correctly ... see attachment.

You do not 'need' any software for XP, XP will have a generic driver. (like USB works, donnit?)

You could try ...
Turn off the PC & Camcorder
Shut down PC
Connect Camcorder to PC
Turn on Camcorder
Turn on PC

If you can use USB, then try that instead.

:user:

Attachments

• firewire.JPG
    firewire.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 845

Ask a Question