P4C800-E Deluxe and slow IDE?

j2

I installed XP Pro on my new PC (3.2GHz Northwood, 1GB PC3200RAM Dual
Channel and a 200 and a 120GB Drive hanging on the onboard normal IDE
controller).

First thing i did after install was to install the Version: 6.0.1.1002
Intel chipset INF utility. But it doesnt seem to "take".

If i look into Device Manager, i can see that Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA
Storage Controller is still version 5.1.0.1009? I tried step 9C in the
readme for the chipset inf util, but i do not get windows to accept my
unpacked files as a "valid" installation source (the OK-button is
greyed out).

Then funny thing is that drive access seem slow. 10 minutes to copy
2GB between the drives, system coming to a halt.

I have checked BIOS (Dated 10/14/04) and drives are at UDMA-5, with
32bit transfers enabled.

So, WHY is my system so much slower now then when i had a QDI-mobo
with 845-chipset, and a 2.4GHz CPU?

A EVEREST report of my system is available on
http://statler.mupp.net/Report.htm if anyone is interested.

sheer

j2 said:
[...]

Have you set the drives as master and slave correctly if on the one ide
channel. Make sure they are NOT set at cable select. Are you using an 80
ribbon cable and not a 40 for the hard drives?

I have the same board and I am running version 5.1.0.1007 of the 82801EB
Ultra ATA Storage Controller and seems fine.

Let us know how you go.

j2

sheer said:
Have you set the drives as master and slave correctly if on the one ide
channel. Make sure they are NOT set at cable select. Are you using an 80
ribbon cable and not a 40 for the hard drives?

Yep. Triple-checked both points.
I have the same board and I am running version 5.1.0.1007 of the 82801EB
Ultra ATA Storage Controller and seems fine.

Let us know how you go.

The strange thing is that i packed 4GB of pseudo-random-data (from
/dev/random on a *NIX-box) and packed it using "best" compression in
winrar. Unpacking the file makes my CPU-load rise no higher then 2-4%
and it takes an hour(!) to unpack the file.

sheer

j2 said:
"sheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Yep. Triple-checked both points.

The strange thing is that i packed 4GB of pseudo-random-data (from
/dev/random on a *NIX-box) and packed it using "best" compression in
winrar. Unpacking the file makes my CPU-load rise no higher then 2-4%
and it takes an hour(!) to unpack the file.

This is really strange. I just did a test on my system and I have exact same
problem. I tried moving a 1.5GB video file within an IDE drive and it is
telling me over 6 mins, but when I move it to one of my SATA drives it takes
less than 30sec!
I hope someone can tell us why because I never really have noticed it before
as I use my SATA drives for storage and an IDE for OS!

j2

sheer said:
This is really strange. I just did a test on my system and I have exact same
problem. I tried moving a 1.5GB video file within an IDE drive and it is
telling me over 6 mins, but when I move it to one of my SATA drives it takes
less than 30sec!
I hope someone can tell us why because I never really have noticed it before
as I use my SATA drives for storage and an IDE for OS!

Well, atleast i am not the only one then. Mega wierd..

How hard would it be (drivers and stuff) to transfer a system to SATA?
Would be fun to test.

John Blaustein

I don't know if the following helps with your research, but I did a test...

2 HDs:
WD SATA 120GB -- C: Windows XP Home
WD EIDE 120GB -- two partitions D: & E:

I created a 1.46GB ZIP file and copied it several ways:

C: > C: -- one folder to another: 1:45
C: > D: -- :39
D: > C: -- :45
D: > D: -- one folder to another: 1:20
D: > E: -- one partition to another: 2:40

System is P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C, 2GB RAM.

John

schnoopy

Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching enabled)

sheer

schnoopy said:
Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching enabled)

exact

Ok this has me stumped I must have a problem somewhere.
Here is my config;
ASUS P4C800E Deluxe
P4 2.8c overclocked to 3.07
ATI 9600 Pro AGP
M-Audio 7.1 Soundcard PCI
VisionPlus DVB-T PCI
1GB of Kingston Twin Ram
400w Zalman PSU
Pioneer A06 DVD-RW
Improved cooling for video (Antec) and cpu (Zalman)
XP Pro SP1 with all updates (will not install SP2)

HDDs
1 x 120GB Maxtor SATA (drive I)
1 x 160GB Seagate SATA (drive E)
1 x 60GB IBM(Hitachi) IDE (drive C) for OS
1 x mobile rack for a number of other IDE drives I have.

I have both the IDE 60GB drive (master) and the Mobile rack on the one IDE
channel and any drive placed in that is set as slave.

I have my DVD-RW on another channel set as master I think?

My SATAs are on the SATA channels.

I do not have any raid config and I thought everything was working fine.
According to the system I have Ultra DMA 5 on my drives except DVD of
course. Not sure which channels the SATAs use but the problem is definitely
with the IDE side as I just moved 1.5GB file within SATA and it is instant
no wait time at all, and from one SATA to the other only 30secs.

HELP!

j2

schnoopy said:
Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching enabled)

Out of curiosity, since the Intel Application Accelerator doesnt
install sinc ei have nothing on my RAID-channels, is there another
util that lets me set the Acoustic-mode SMART property? I am not sure
if my drives are running "minimum acoustic output" or "max
performance". Even tho my values seem to slow for either case.

sheer

j2 said:
"schnoopy" <[email protected]> wrote in message enabled)

Out of curiosity, since the Intel Application Accelerator doesnt
install sinc ei have nothing on my RAID-channels, is there another
util that lets me set the Acoustic-mode SMART property? I am not sure
if my drives are running "minimum acoustic output" or "max
performance". Even tho my values seem to slow for either case.

Depends on the drive. IBM/Hitachi have a tool that does that.

j2

sheer said:
I do not have any raid config and I thought everything was working fine.
According to the system I have Ultra DMA 5 on my drives except DVD of
course. Not sure which channels the SATAs use but the problem is definitely
with the IDE side as I just moved 1.5GB file within SATA and it is instant
no wait time at all, and from one SATA to the other only 30secs.

Actually, i ponder if it is possible to log this as a case with ASUS
somehow.. Because _i_ cant figure it out.

I'll see if i can borrow a PATA->SATA converter and move my "storage"
drive to SATA and see what happens.

j2

*LOL* Even my external USB-drive is faster.

Unpacking the file while working on a USB-connected Barracuda-V 120GB
only takes 4 mins ;)

j2

sheer said:
Depends on the drive. IBM/Hitachi have a tool that does that.

Actually not quite true. It is a SMART-property, so any SMART tool
would do it, since the Intel PAT handels this for any drive connected
to their controller. But intel PAT doesnt install since i have nthing
on my RAID-controller. And the Non-RAID version just says
"incompatible hardware"

sheer

j2 said:
"sheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Actually not quite true. It is a SMART-property, so any SMART tool
would do it, since the Intel PAT handels this for any drive connected
to their controller. But intel PAT doesnt install since i have nthing
on my RAID-controller. And the Non-RAID version just says
"incompatible hardware"

I thought Intel PAT was a performance enhancement between the CPU and the
memory?
With the Hitachi Feature Tool I can change the acoustic level of a
Hitachi/IBM drive but it does not work with my Maxtor or my Seagate Sata's.

schnoopy

j2 said:
"schnoopy" <[email protected]> wrote in message enabled)

Out of curiosity, since the Intel Application Accelerator doesnt
install sinc ei have nothing on my RAID-channels, is there another
util that lets me set the Acoustic-mode SMART property? I am not sure
if my drives are running "minimum acoustic output" or "max
performance". Even tho my values seem to slow for either case.

maybe you should try using the raid version of intel AA? pure shot in the
dark....

j2

sheer said:
I thought Intel PAT was a performance enhancement between the CPU and the
memory?
With the Hitachi Feature Tool I can change the acoustic level of a
Hitachi/IBM drive but it does not work with my Maxtor or my Seagate Sata's.

My misstake, i wasnt really menaing "PAT" i was talking about the
Intel Application Accelerator, this program could set the parameters
of my IBM and WD and Seagate disks alike.

Oh, got an answer back from ASUS which was less-then-helpful. Or
rather, doenst look as if he read the whole case.

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Intel INF driver will improve the disk performance , i think .

i suggest you use HD-TACH3.0 to test the reading speed of disk ,

and use Sis sandra2004 file system benchmark to test writing speed .

for your 200GB disk ,the HD-TACH3.0 average reading speed should be
over 47MB/S

sheer

j2 said:
"sheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message Sata's.

My misstake, i wasnt really menaing "PAT" i was talking about the
Intel Application Accelerator, this program could set the parameters
of my IBM and WD and Seagate disks alike.

Oh, got an answer back from ASUS which was less-then-helpful. Or
rather, doenst look as if he read the whole case.

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Intel INF driver will improve the disk performance , i think .

i suggest you use HD-TACH3.0 to test the reading speed of disk ,

and use Sis sandra2004 file system benchmark to test writing speed .

for your 200GB disk ,the HD-TACH3.0 average reading speed should be
over 47MB/S

Snippet from Intel Site

Note: The Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with the Intel®
875P, 865G/P/PE, 852/855 GM/GME, 855MP, 848P, 815EM chipset, the Intel® 440
chipset family, or any earlier Intel chipsets. The Intel Application
Accelerator is also not compatible with any Intel® 900 series Express
Chipset families.

j2

schnoopy said:
maybe you should try using the raid version of intel AA? pure shot in the
dark....

(Might be a double post, since i got a 500 error)

I think i mentioned that you cant install that version of inte AA
since it only installs on systems which have disks connected to a
RAID-controller.

I tried something tho. I hooked a SATA disk to the SATA1 interface. I
did not partition it, no nothing. But lo and behold, my test file now
unpacks in about 4 minutes, which seems like a fair amount of time..
Since my 2.4GHz system does it in 6 mins.

My retailer was stumped, but said that they have never shipped any
system with PATA and the P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, as it is their high end
choise, and they only use SATA for that. As well as he guessed that
peopel refitting their systems with this mobo also used SATA. Since he
had never heard any complaints about this.