P2P with Win98SE

Reaction score
Hullo;
I could use some advice on Internet connection sharing, specifically in 98SE.

I have just set up a peer-to-peer between two PC's, with just a crossover cable (no hubs, etc.).
So far, I can share the drives (password protected) and folders, have even run some programs on PC#2 from PC#1. Both PC's see each other, in a workgroup, as sharenames, and sharename drives. I have also been succesful printing off of PC#2 (printer on PC#1).

I am still puzzled by results of ping tests, which give me a different error message on each PC when I ping the network card in the other computer.
I tried using Internet connection wizard to persuade the modem-less PC #2 to connect over a LAN, but nothing doing.
The ping test on PC#2 (pinging PC#1) tells me there is a hardware error, while the reverse situation tells me simply request timed out.

I made and tested the CAT5 crossover cable in a class, purchased the 2 PCI 10/100 NICS new. What should I check at this point? Would the problem be with the firewalls? (No messages from them.)(2 different firewalls, PC-Cillin on #2 and Sygate on #1. Both PC-Cillin A/V, ran Spybot, AdAware, and Registry 1st Aid on PC#2 from PC#1).

Help? :blush:

Reaction score
To determine if the Firewall is responsible jwhiz...
Switch off your firewalls on both PCs and Carry out your Ping tests again.. This should determine if your firewalls are interfering with the ping signal

(i have a feeling that your firewall built for stopping or blocking intrusions and scans could very well be effecting your Ping)....

Reaction score
Hullo spooky, here's what I've done since last message:

Looked at Sygate firewall on PC#1 - allowed pings to PC#2 when I first tested (Sygate asks you about every new packet exchange, whether you want to always allow, just this time, or never. I said yes, always).
still on PC#1 (today) - ping diagnostic (127.0.0.1) on own NIC - ok. ping on NIC IP - ok. ping on other PC#2 NIC IP - request timed out.

PC#2(today) - own NIC diagnostic and IP ok, other NIC, 'hardware error' (?)(!) - then went into to PC-Cillin firewall on PC#2, made sure that it was specifically allowing packets both ways with PC#1 NIC IP, and dropped safety setting to 'medium' (all settings block ports commonly wanked by Trojans).

REbooted both PC's, then tried for the tenth or so time to set up Internet connection on PC#2 with wizard, through LAN.

Still not connecting.

More thoughts?

I wondered if I should put the NIC IP of PC#1 on PC#2 gateway. Despite Networking class (on WIn 2000), still foggy on how to set up a gateway - know there should be one to connect outside local network i.e. to Internet - is this where my problem is? Should I set up any DNS/WINS/bindings? (PC-Cillin firewall able to resolve PC#1 name to IP address automatically, although I haven't specifically set up DNS or WINS). I have set both identical subnet masks to class C default (255.255.255.0).

Just a note-when we tried Win98 LANs and plain P2Ps in my PC hardware class, there were very few who got it working...didn't set up DNS or WINS, but did set up subnet masks and gateways, or at least looked at them! :(

Reaction score
Jwhiz... sorry mate i cant ponder over this to long its almost 3 in the morning here.... Wheres my bed!!

Try this link..
www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000469.htm

Look at the section Basic network with file and broadband modem sharing there is a win98 talk through that may help you set up your network and ICS .. Disable your Firewalls then set it up.... see if it works then re enable your firewalls

if you still have problems have a quick browse around that site... and if that dosent work please come back and let us know...... there are plenty of people here that will be able to help you

Ask a Question