Outlook XP (2002) startup error: "...requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater."

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Interoperability' started by cgladish@gmail.com, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Guest

    On a system running WinXP Pro w/ SP2 and Office XP. Attempts to open
    Outlook result in the error message:

    "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook
    Express 4.01 or greater. You can install Outlook Express by running
    IE5Setup.exe from the IE5 folder located on your CD or through Windows
    Update website."

    Outlook Express version 6 is installed and runs without error, though
    it is not used. The version of Outlook installed is Outlook XP.

    I have viewed and tried to follow the advice in several Microsoft
    support articles, to no avail, including, but not limited to:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320863
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;212991
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287683

    .... amongst others.

    All of these either are not do not solve the issue, or are not
    applicable.

    I have tried to run the IE5setup from the Office XP CD, but am not
    allowed to, as I already have IE6 installed. Outlook Express opens
    without problem. I have tried using Add/Remove Programs to re-install
    and reregister the OE componenst, but the problem persists. I have run
    Windows Update, just to make sure I am not missing anything, and
    everything's up to date. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the
    Office suite, but the problem persists. I believe I have exhausted the
    suggestions presented by MS's support site.
    Does anyone else have any more suggestions?

    , Dec 10, 2004

  2. Do these articles help?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287683/en-us
    OL2002: Error Message: "Outlook Express 4.01 Required" When You Start
    Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287686/en-us
    OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

    Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I], Jan 28, 2006

  3. tommikka

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Experienced the error 'Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater.' and all related knowledgebase solutions failed. This was subsequently fixed by the reversal of the instructions under knowledgebase 318378, by amending the registry entry IsInstalled from 0 to 1.

    Fixed with the opposite of the instructions at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]

    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001

    Changed IsInstalled to 1 from 0

    tommikka, Jun 16, 2007
  4. d3v1l

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Outlook startup error can be resolved

    Hi guys

    sorry i needed help on this topic today but microsoft doesnt really help much on this topic they wer leading to right direction but not the final answer. I resolved this by copying working outlook express reg key from another machine. If you need the reg key please email me (as i havent been able to upload to ftp server, no time!!lol). Thank you for all the help.

    d3v1l, Jan 23, 2008
  5. ronaldp423

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I need that registry key please

    Could you please send that registry key to me or have it sent by a forum admin - i would be very grateful.
    i have exhausted all other means of fixing this issue with Outlook 2002. The reg key you mention isn't in my registry.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ron

    ronaldp423, Feb 27, 2008
  6. grojguy

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am repairing an older system with Office XP, and ran into this issue.

    Thanks to tommikka's advice, as that helped me solve my problem.

    However, interestingly, I did not have any "IsInstalled" key at all in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}].

    So I took a wild guess and added the "IsInstalled" key with a value of "00 00 00 01", and Outlook fired right up without further ado.

    Go figure, the exact opposite solution... only with Microsoft!

    grojguy, Jan 20, 2011
  7. JMark

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2012