outlook should let me move emails from sent to a specific folder

It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing. Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not true. The Rules Wizard has not changed and most certainly allows
messages to be moved, not just copied. Your rule is not constructed
correctly.

Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

In addition to what Russ said, make sure your rules end in "Stop Processing"
actions or else you might get duplication of items.

BillR [MVP]

Are you referring to the action on Sent items? For Sent items you can only
"move a copy" but moving acts on the Inbox.

Mark R Penn

How do I do that? For sent items (as requested by the OP), the option is
only to copy, not move. For a LONG time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
sent messages to my IMAP sent items folder, but OL insists on keeping a copy
in my local folders Sent Items folder too. The option is definitely only to
move a COPY when checking after sending.

OK, so I do see what's happening. The copy gets placed in the IMAP folder
correctly, but because I have a "Save a copy of sent" turned on, that
happens locally too. However I can't just turn it off, because there are
other accounts (POP3) where I DO want to keep a local copy, and it's a
global setting.

There are` other situations where I want specific sent mail moved, yet
always end up with two copies. For example:

Can I set up a rule that will keep defined sent mail with the original
message I'm replying to? OL has an option to keep all sent mail with the
original, but for some reason it only applies to folders OTHER THAN Inbox,
and it can't be targeted at specific messages using a rule. It seems to me
that to make any use of OL's conversation grouping, I need to have replies
kept with the original, or I only see half the conversation?

Mark

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
zalamander said:
It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

Yep I agree it would be nice to be able to move not copy. To get around it,
make one or more rules to move sent items, and then also make a rule to
delete all sent items. Make sure the rules are set to run in the correct
order!

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You need to clarify your post. About which mail transport are you inquiring?
IMAP is not like other mail transports. I have no experience with it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

zalamander said:
It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this
new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Mark R Penn

Yep, but then you are in danger of suffering OL's idiotic treatment of
rules it can't run:

Sensible behaviour: can't run a rule to move mail to the IMAP sent
folder, because no connection is available, so run the rule locally
(i.e. offline) and upload the message on the next sync, (even my PPC
mail app is capable of that!), and leave the rule itself intact.

Outlook behaviour: Do nothing (so my sent mail isn't stored anywhere),
but turn the rule off permanently! Why? Why act like a petulant child,
saying "if I can't play now, I'm not going to play at all"?

In fact, even working offline doesn't allow the above, even manual moves
- you'd think if I've told OL it has no connection, it'd be cute enough
to work locally, uploading the changes when I go back online, but no,
it's not.

If I didn't need OL's tasks and appointments integration with mail, this
and the lack of an automatic purge would be the issues that would send
me elsewhere.

Mark

Conversation: outlook should let me move emails from sent to a specific
folder
Subject: Re: outlook should let me move emails from sent to a specific
folder

Yep I agree it would be nice to be able to move not copy. To get around
it, make one or more rules to move sent items, and then also make a rule
to delete all sent items. Make sure the rules are set to run in the
correct order!

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

Mark R Penn

Well specifically IMAP in my case, as I said, but I'd also like to know how
in general I move, not copy, sent mail, as requested by the OP?

If the question needs to be related specifically to POP3: How do I create a
rule that takes certain specific e-mails, and moves them to a given folder,
without keeping a copy in the Sent Items folder, and yet leaves all other
sent mail alone?

Mark

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I avoid problems by creating a rule for 'after arrival' and then running it
on the sent folder daily or weekly - rather than messing with copying
messages on sending.

BTW - rather than using a delete rule, you can disable the option to save in
sent folder to avoid duplicates - but if the connection to the folder you
are moving it to isn't available, it will not run the rule or save a copy.
:(

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

BillR said:
Are you referring to the action on Sent items? For Sent items you can only
"move a copy" but moving acts on the Inbox.

09/10/2005

Mark R Penn

Thanks,

Is there any way to run that daily/weekly rule automatically?

Re turning off saving a copy in the sent folder, yes, except that that's a
global setting, and I DO want to keep some messages in there, just not all.

Cheers,

Mark

BillR said:
Are you referring to the action on Sent items? For Sent items you can only
"move a copy" but moving acts on the Inbox.

--
Bill Rodgers MVP
It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb74
4-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

09/10/2005

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

No - outlook doesn't automatically run rules later (but it's often requested
:)). It's a manual process or you can use a 3rd party addin. I use auto-mate
to run rules later, but not for this type of rule, so I don't know how well
it would work. I just do it manually when I remember.
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm#special has a list of known rules
replacements (mixed in with other tools).

you could make a rule for each account and set them to use the sent folder -
but it's probably safer to leave the global setting on.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Mark R Penn said:
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb74
4-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

09/10/2005

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

In your first post it was not clear you were talking about mail you are
sending, so I was referring to mail you are receiving. Diane has your
scenario covered the best way I know how.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark R Penn said:
[...]

With respect Russ, I don't think it could have been any clearer:

Original posters subject:

"outlook should let me move emails from SENT to a specific folder"

First paragraph of my first post:

"How do I do that? For SENT items (as requested by the OP), the option is
only to copy, not move. For a long time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
SENT messages to my IMAP SENT items folder, but OL insists on keeping a copy
in my local folders SENT Items folder too. The option is definitely only to
move a copy when checking after SENDING."

That's 5 references to sent in just 68 words!

Perhaps a case where speed reading actually slows things down, as we end up
going round in circles when it's not accurate? ;)

Mark

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Look at my first reply. 5 AM EST. Are you hitting on all 8 at 5 AM?
The title was unclear. The post said absolutely nothing about Sent mail.
Give me a break.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark R Penn said:
[...]

No, not at 5 am. But of course I don't get to see what time you post, as I
see my local time only (it was 11.01 am). I have to assume that you post
when you feel up to it.

Also, you assumed that I was the original poster, twice, and I wasn't.

Given the context in which the original poster posted (MS's suggestions
form), I think his post was 100% clear, and that your reply was abrupt ("Not
true...........Your rule is not constructed correctly.").

Like you say, give us a break - we're only asking questions.

Mark

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Will do. I am sorry for misinterpreting the post. I never confused you with
the original poster.
You'll notice I wasn't alone. Vince got tricked into to thinking the same
thing I did, and he's a whole hour ahead of me and a lot smarter. 99% of the
people who post about rules copying messages instead of moving them have
simply constructed the rule without including the "stop processing more
rules" command.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark R Penn said:
[...]

message It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the
actual mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything
confusing. Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find
this new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Mark R Penn