Outlook.pst file) on it even though it was created months ago. After I
deleted it, Outlook (version 2002) now gives me an error message that it
can’t find that file. Why is Outlook looking for that file and why cant I
delete it? Thanks!

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You never delete an Outlook data file until have disconnected it from the
profile. Your profile is now corrupt so if you want to be rid of the error
messages you'll have to create a new profile.

D

diamond[at]flash[dot]net

Phil vK wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 10:1
I archived a file a few months ago and evidently did something wrong. The
PST created when I archived is very small and I suppose empty. The problem is that the file always has today's date (as in the same date as the Outlook.pst file) on it even though it was created months ago. After I deleted it, Outlook (version 2002) now gives me an error message that it can't find that file. Why is Outlook looking for that file and why cant I delete it? Thanks

Short answer: you cannot delete something that doesn't exist.

There is a workaround, though. It's a bit awkward, but it works.

1. Send yourself 3-4 test email messages that you can later throw away.

2. After they are received, create a sub-folder in your Inbox and move these messages to it.

3. Click on "archive" and select only that folder to archive.

4. The archive dialogue window will pop up, allowing you to choose which PST file to send these messages to. Carefully re-create the filename that you had from a month ago. You must be precise with the name & location of this 'new' archive PST you're creating.

5. Execute the archiving, and send these few emails to the new PST which has the same name & location as your former PST.

6. The archiving process should bring this PST into view, at the bottom of your folder list.

7. Once the archiving is complete, right-click on the archive PST folder and select "close" as your option.

8. Never, ever again open that file. :)

P

Phil vK

Thank you Kevin!!

diamond[at]flash[dot]net said:
Phil vK wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 10:10
I archived a file a few months ago and evidently did something wrong. The
PST created when I archived is very small and I suppose empty. The problem is that the file always has today's date (as in the same date as the Outlook.pst file) on it even though it was created months ago. After I deleted it, Outlook (version 2002) now gives me an error message that it can't find that file. Why is Outlook looking for that file and why cant I delete it? Thanks!

Short answer: you cannot delete something that doesn't exist.

There is a workaround, though. It's a bit awkward, but it works.

1. Send yourself 3-4 test email messages that you can later throw away.

2. After they are received, create a sub-folder in your Inbox and move these messages to it.

3. Click on "archive" and select only that folder to archive.

4. The archive dialogue window will pop up, allowing you to choose which PST file to send these messages to. Carefully re-create the filename that you had from a month ago. You must be precise with the name & location of this 'new' archive PST you're creating.

5. Execute the archiving, and send these few emails to the new PST which has the same name & location as your former PST.

6. The archiving process should bring this PST into view, at the bottom of your folder list.

7. Once the archiving is complete, right-click on the archive PST folder and select "close" as your option.

8. Never, ever again open that file. :)

Ask a Question