Outlook Express 6 Issues

G

In the last several weeks my Outlook Express 6 app stops responding when downloading my e-mail (mostly spam). I have to restart it several times until all e-mail is downloaded. I've also noticed that once I clear out all the spam from my inbox the number of messages that Outlook Express indicates is in my Inbox is completely wrong, i.e., it says I have 80 unread messages when I actually have 4-5. This just started recently...so I'm thinking it is either an application issue or some new virus. Anyone seen this

Thanks
Ed

G

Gerry Cornell

Ed

How are you compacting?

Check whether the option to "Compact messages in background" in Tools, Options, Maintenance has been selected. It should be deselected as the use of this option invariably leads to folder corruption and causes slow performance.

Regular compacting is essential if you use Outlook Express. Doing it Offline ( you do not have to disconnect ) helps eliminate the potential for folder corruption. In practice I find placing the cursor on Outlook Express and selecting File, Folder, Compact All the best way to compact all folders. I do not advocate using the compacting options in Tools, Options, Maintenance. If you want to compact a single mail folder use File, Folder, Compact. For a single newsgroup right click on the newsgroup name in the Folder List, and select Properties, Local File, Compact.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.