Outlook Express slow, Internet Explorer form input slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by pcbuilder98, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    The following is a solution to problems I was having with Outlook Express 6
    and Internet Explorer 6.

    Problems:
    Long delay before form fields would accept input in Internet Explorer 6.
    Long delay when starting Outlook Express 6.
    Long delay before splash screen appears in Outlook Express 6.
    Long delay before inbox appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    Long delay before dial up dialog appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    Long delay when opening messages the first time after starting Outlook
    Express 6.

    Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs" tab
    of the Taskbar properties.

    Complete solution to all the above problems:
    Restored registry from the day before the problems with Internet Explorer 6
    and Outlook Express 6 occurred.

    Before I found the above fix I tried every solution suggested at the
    Microsoft web site and every suggestion I could find in search engines. It
    took six hours of continuous work for me to arrive at a final and complete
    solution to the problems I was having with Outlook Express 6 and Internet
    Explorer 6.
    Signed,
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 26, 2007

  2. pcbuilder98

    PA Bear Guest

    Windows version?

    > Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    > Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs"
    > tab
    > of the Taskbar properties.

    Huh? Perhaps you meanTaskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Classic start menu
    [I assume] > Customize > To remove records of recently accessed documents...
    > Clear?

    Inside Outlook Express - Errors, Bugs and Problems - Performance Problems:
    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/performance.htm

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

    PA Bear, Nov 26, 2007

  3. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "PA Bear" <> wrote in message
    > Windows version?

    Windows 98SE

    > > Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    > > Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs"
    > > tab
    > > of the Taskbar properties.

    > Huh? Perhaps you meanTaskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Classic start

    menu
    > [I assume] > Customize > To remove records of recently accessed

    documents...
    > > Clear?

    Yes. I always use the classic interface. I tried all the fixes suggested at
    your excellent web site before I arrived at my final solution. Sadly for me
    none of them worked.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 26, 2007
  4. pcbuilder98

    PA Bear Guest

    Sounds like the following would have addressed the problem:

    1. Delete Temporary Internet Files, accepting the option to delete all
    offline content;

    2. Compacting all OE folders;

    3. Running Disk Cleanup; and then (for good measure)

    4. Run a Defrag session.

    Win98-specific General OE Caveats:

    - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    - Disable Background Compacting and frequently perform a manual compact of
    all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

    - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

    PS: http://www.insideoe.com/ is not my website; it belongs to longtime MVP
    Tom Koch.

    PA Bear, Nov 26, 2007
  5. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "PA Bear" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds like the following would have addressed the problem:
    >
    > 1. Delete Temporary Internet Files, accepting the option to delete all
    > offline content;
    >
    > 2. Compacting all OE folders;
    >
    > 3. Running Disk Cleanup; and then (for good measure)
    >
    > 4. Run a Defrag session.
    >
    > Win98-specific General OE Caveats:
    >
    > - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > - Disable Background Compacting and frequently perform a manual compact of
    > all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
    >
    > - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

    I tried all of those proedures before I arrived at my final solution. None
    of them worked. I wish they had.

    > PS: http://www.insideoe.com/ is not my website; it belongs to longtime MVP
    > Tom Koch.

    My mistake.

    pcbuilder98, Nov 26, 2007
  6. pcbuilder98 wrote:

    > Problems:
    > Long delay before form fields would accept input in Internet Explorer 6.
    > Long delay when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > Long delay before splash screen appears in Outlook Express 6.
    > Long delay before inbox appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > Long delay before dial up dialog appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > Long delay when opening messages the first time after starting Outlook
    > Express 6.

    > Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    > Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs" tab
    > of the Taskbar properties.

    > Complete solution to all the above problems:
    > Restored registry from the day before the problems with Internet Explorer 6
    > and Outlook Express 6 occurred.

    > Before I found the above fix I tried every solution suggested at the
    > Microsoft web site and every suggestion I could find in search engines. It
    > took six hours of continuous work for me to arrive at a final and complete
    > solution to the problems I was having with Outlook Express 6 and Internet
    > Explorer 6.

    IMHO this problem was caused by damaged "Protected Storage System
    Provider" registry key. That's where IE & OE saves passwords and some
    other data. I've met this issue some time ago especially using Windows
    98/98SE. When it's not possible to restore registry from backup deleting
    IE & OE sub keys from Protected Storage System Provider is the cure.
    Disadvantage is that all saved passwords are deleted too. :(

    --
    Regards
    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk, Nov 26, 2007
  7. pcbuilder98

    Mike C Guest

    I too am experiencing problems with OE6... it starts to load then the screen
    goes blank and Task Manager says it is not responding. After about 1 minute
    it runs properly and loads... any suggestions? It just started. I compact
    the folders regularly, I keep my Inbox clean, I defrag nightly and run
    Windows Defender nightly.

    Any other suggestions?

    Mike C, Nov 26, 2007
  8. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "Mike C" <> wrote in message
    > "pcbuilder98" wrote:
    > > The following is a solution to problems I was having with Outlook

    Express 6
    > > and Internet Explorer 6.
    > >
    > > Problems:
    > > Long delay before form fields would accept input in Internet Explorer 6.
    > > Long delay when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before splash screen appears in Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before inbox appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before dial up dialog appears when starting Outlook Express

    6.
    > > Long delay when opening messages the first time after starting Outlook
    > > Express 6.
    > >
    > > Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    > > Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs"

    tab
    > > of the Taskbar properties.
    > >
    > > Complete solution to all the above problems:
    > > Restored registry from the day before the problems with Internet

    Explorer 6
    > > and Outlook Express 6 occurred.
    > >
    > > Before I found the above fix I tried every solution suggested at the
    > > Microsoft web site and every suggestion I could find in search engines.

    It
    > > took six hours of continuous work for me to arrive at a final and

    complete
    > > solution to the problems I was having with Outlook Express 6 and

    Internet
    > > Explorer 6.
    > > Signed,
    > > pcbuilder98
    > >

    > I too am experiencing problems with OE6... it starts to load then the

    screen
    > goes blank and Task Manager says it is not responding. After about 1

    minute
    > it runs properly and loads... any suggestions? It just started. I

    compact
    > the folders regularly, I keep my Inbox clean, I defrag nightly and run
    > Windows Defender nightly.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    Please post at bottom. Thank you.

    If you know what day the problem started then you can restore the registery
    from the day before (or any other registry backup prior to the start of the
    problem).

    I don't know if you have a backup routine of any kind but I backup my
    personal files regularly to CD-RW and DVD+RW now that I have my new drive. I
    never have less than three backups on hand.

    Before each backup I run a batch file that copies all my system files which
    includes the registry. If I had a problem with the registry that went
    unnoticed for more than five days without my noticing it (nearly impossible)
    I could as a last resort use an older backup to restore it.

    If none of the above are possible for you then you might try a registry
    repair / cleaner of some kind. It's also possible to retrieve a clean
    registry off the Windows install disk. You would then have to reinstall all
    of your other software and reconfigure many of your settings. Both of these
    suggestions may be long shots at best.

    I like OE and IE but they are just too difficult to repair. Moving my mail
    and settings to the new computer I just built was nearly impossible. After
    looking for two solid weeks I just today found a freeware program that made
    the move fairly painless. If you're interested it's available here:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/default.aspx Some email clients have the
    option to import mail and settings from OE but first had to move those
    things into OE on my new computer.

    I am currently evaluating all other email clients and browsers and I will
    soon quit using IE and OE permanently. I hope you find a solution for your
    problem.
    Good Luck,
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 27, 2007
  9. pcbuilder98

    Mike C Guest

    Thanx pcbuilder. I wish I KNEW what date it started... I use Acronis True
    Image to back up my entire hard drive and it runs every Friday... if I was to
    restore using Acronis (I've NEVER had any luck restoring with Windows
    Restore) I'm afraid the latest backup contains whatever errors that are
    causing my problem to begin with. I use Acronis Registry Booster as well and
    it keeps my registry clean & defragmented.

    I've been threatening myself for about a month now - that it's time for a
    complete format & reload... it'll take me a coupla days to get everything
    loaded back on... maybe over the holidays.

    Thanx for the link - I'll check it out. I also tried Outlook (it comes with
    Office) and it also fails to respond when I first open it up. This is a real
    puzzler. I'm usually prety good at troubleshooting stuff like this but I'm
    scratching my head...

    Mike C, Nov 27, 2007
  10. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "Mike C" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Image to back up my entire hard drive and it runs every Friday... if I was

    > restore using Acronis (I've NEVER had any luck restoring with Windows
    > Restore) I'm afraid the latest backup contains whatever errors that are
    > causing my problem to begin with. I use Acronis Registry Booster as well

    and
    > it keeps my registry clean & defragmented.
    >
    > I've been threatening myself for about a month now - that it's time for a
    > complete format & reload... it'll take me a coupla days to get everything
    > loaded back on... maybe over the holidays.
    >
    > Thanx for the link - I'll check it out. I also tried Outlook (it comes

    with
    > Office) and it also fails to respond when I first open it up. This is a

    real
    > puzzler. I'm usually prety good at troubleshooting stuff like this but

    A couple of last points:
    I would only use a registry cleaner as a last resort. I find they're just as
    likely to be harmful as beneficial. Window checks and repairs the registry
    every 24 hours. It isn't perfect but I haven't know it to be harmful either.
    It's also possible to set Scanreg (98, ME) to retain more than five registry
    backups: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183603
    No need to worry about filling your drive with backups either. Every time a
    new registry backup is made the oldest is deleted.

    XP isn't as good. You'll have to rely on the Automated System Recovery:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818903
    Or do a manual registry restoration:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

    Every so often I will remove one complete backup from my backup sets and put
    it aside. I may keep this backup for a few months or even longer depending
    on my whim. Then if for some reason I find something is missing or corrupted
    in my current backup sets I have the possibility that it may still exist on
    a backup from some months or even years ago. I have one backup set that's
    five years old. I will probably retain it permanently.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 27, 2007
  11. pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" <> wrote in message
    > pcbuilder98 wrote:
    >
    > > Problems:
    > > Long delay before form fields would accept input in Internet Explorer 6.
    > > Long delay when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before splash screen appears in Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before inbox appears when starting Outlook Express 6.
    > > Long delay before dial up dialog appears when starting Outlook Express

    6.
    > > Long delay when opening messages the first time after starting Outlook
    > > Express 6.

    > > Action taken by me just before problems appeared:
    > > Clicked the "Clear" button for "Documents" in the "Start Menu Programs"

    tab
    > > of the Taskbar properties.

    > > Complete solution to all the above problems:
    > > Restored registry from the day before the problems with Internet

    Explorer 6
    > > and Outlook Express 6 occurred.

    > > Before I found the above fix I tried every solution suggested at the
    > > Microsoft web site and every suggestion I could find in search engines.

    It
    > > took six hours of continuous work for me to arrive at a final and

    complete
    > > solution to the problems I was having with Outlook Express 6 and

    Internet
    > > Explorer 6.

    > IMHO this problem was caused by damaged "Protected Storage System
    > Provider" registry key. That's where IE & OE saves passwords and some
    > other data. I've met this issue some time ago especially using Windows
    > 98/98SE. When it's not possible to restore registry from backup deleting
    > IE & OE sub keys from Protected Storage System Provider is the cure.
    > Disadvantage is that all saved passwords are deleted too. :(
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

    I followed this procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q271510/
    It did not help. But it might possibly help Mike C.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 28, 2007