Outlook 2007 Reading Pane Problem -- Help!

Reaction score
I'm running Vista Business with Outlook 2007 (latest update installed).

After about a week of operation of the newly updated Outlook 2007, I suddenly found that whenever I tried to view an e-mail message by double clicking on it, or by opening the reading pane, Outlook stopped operating. It produced an error message and shut down.

(I think the problem began to happen right after I re-booted after receiving the regular Microsoft Vista updates on this past Wednesday. There were five of them (Vista updates) that were installed upon rebooting. This factor may be unrelated to the problem.)

The continuing failure to view an e-mail happens with any message (and I've tried hundreds by now) so the problem isn't related to a specific, badly behaving e-mail message.

All other functions of Outlook continue to operate normally. E-mail comes in and goes out. I can compose messages normally. I can move messages to various folders. Rules and alerts work. Archiving works.

I can also reply and forward e-mail normally. In fact, this is now the only way I can read my e-mail. I 'reply' to it and then read it in the newly opened message! Obviously, this is extremely awkward.

I have now disabled all Outlook add-ins except for the indexer.

Starting Outlook in SAFE mode doesn't make any difference.

There are more details I can provide if anyone can try to help me.

I've taken many, many more steps over the past week and can outline them. I won't list them here so as to keep my problem statement brief.

Thank you very much for any advice anyone can offer. This problem is ruining my enjoyment of e-mail!

Patrick in Australia

Ask a Question