Outlook 2003 - Slow to attach files...

S

Scott McDonald

Even small files, like 10K, it takes a long time to do this on a few machines here. These machines are all the same spec, same software etc, yet on a few it takes forever to attach a file in outlook, on others it takes a second or two, but nothing as significant as others. Anyone know why this would occur? I set the mail format up on the problem machines to not use word and set them to html, they still do it.

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

Working with a POP/IMAP mailbox or Exchange? If Exchange, is Outlook 2003 running in cached or traditional mode?

Even small files, like 10K, it takes a long time to do this on a few machines here. These machines are all the same spec, same software etc, yet on a few it takes forever to attach a file in outlook, on others it takes a second or two, but nothing as significant as others. Anyone know why this would occur? I set the mail format up on the problem machines to not use word and set them to html, they still do it.

??? Thanks!

S

Scott McDonald

Exchange and cached mode.

--
Scott
Working with a POP/IMAP mailbox or Exchange? If Exchange, is Outlook 2003 running in cached or traditional mode?

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

Does the site use an antivirus product that integrates with Outlook? Does the site exclude scanning OST files? (Might also consider defragging the drive since Outlook 2003 lives out of that OST in cached mode.)

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

S

Scott McDonald

I disabled the antivirus and removed the setting for cache mode just to see and it still happens. I'm out of ideas...

--
Scott
Does the site use an antivirus product that integrates with Outlook? Does the site exclude scanning OST files? (Might also consider defragging the drive since Outlook 2003 lives out of that OST in cached mode.)

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

What else is installed that integrates with Outlook?

I disabled the antivirus and removed the setting for cache mode just to see and it still happens. I'm out of ideas...

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

S

Scott McDonald

McAfee virus scan enterprise edition 8.0 - but again, tried uninstalling that & disabling the email portion of the scan to no avail, but the McAfee framework service which essentially monitors systems with McAfee stayed installed and I couldn't disable it without making significant server side changes...But again though, it just monitors the AV program which was no longer installed, still happened.

Nothing else integrates in with outlook at all.

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

What is the operating system and is there anything in the event logs to indicate a problem with the hardware? (e.g. bad blocks on hard drive, plug and play manager issues on startup, .etc)

FWIW, I use Symantec Corp Edition at the desktop and 10K files attach in 2 secs when in cached mode.

McAfee virus scan enterprise edition 8.0 - but again, tried uninstalling that & disabling the email portion of the scan to no avail, but the McAfee framework service which essentially monitors systems with McAfee stayed installed and I couldn't disable it without making significant server side changes...But again though, it just monitors the AV program which was no longer installed, still happened.

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

S

Scott McDonald

admittedely we use to have symantec and it wasn't a problem (that I knew of) then...but when McAfee is uninstall it does it too...Win2K SP4 and WinXP Pro SP2

I

--
Scott
What is the operating system and is there anything in the event logs to indicate a problem with the hardware? (e.g. bad blocks on hard drive, plug and play manager issues on startup, .etc)

FWIW, I use Symantec Corp Edition at the desktop and 10K files attach in 2 secs when in cached mode.

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

can't get a duplication and it still sounds like there is a driver/application installed that is working with file calls in real-time. (which is what av does.)

admittedely we use to have symantec and it wasn't a problem (that I knew of) then...but when McAfee is uninstall it does it too...Win2K SP4 and WinXP Pro SP2

I

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

N

neo [mvp outlook]

actually now that i think of this, do you have anything installed that integrates with outlook and can automatically zip files?

can't get a duplication and it still sounds like there is a driver/application installed that is working with file calls in real-time. (which is what av does.)

I

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

S

Scott McDonald

nothing of the sort...The systems are all either WinXP Pro or Win2K Pro (SP2 & SP4) with Office 2003 Pro and Mcafee system scan, VNC and Messenger (SIP), that's it. There's nothing else on these systems.

--
Scott
actually now that i think of this, do you have anything installed that integrates with outlook and can automatically zip files?

I

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

--
Scott

??? Thanks!

Ask a Question