Outlook Outlook 2003 - Multiple Emails Sent?

Reaction score
I have a co-worker who has sent myself and another co-worker an email with about 8mb of attachments. He is using Outlook 2003 SP3. The message was sent 3 days ago and everytime he opens his Outlook (which is set to send/receive upon opening) or the automatic send/receive goes off we receive the message again. I've checked and the task manager only shows outlook.exe once. He's archived his PST. Moved the sent messages (all of them) over to another folder. Deleted the sent message that appears to be the problem. We've also run the tool to check for stuck messages in the outbox folder (which there seems to be none). ANY help at this point is greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance!

~M.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Scans have been done to no avail. We're resetting the server timeout setting to longer in hopes this works. This happened when trying to send 2 emails with 8 mbs each and 1 email with 16 mbs. All within a short time of each other. When they "didn't send" (but in fact actually did) my co-worker deleted them from the outbox. Now he just sees the send/receive trying to send 2 emails that aren't there. Hoping the timeout server setting does the trick.

Reaction score
Nope, didn't fix the problem. I'm receiving the one email I keep getting now and his email says it's still trying to send 2 phantom emails. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Perhaps this is an issue with data throughput of Outlook. When trying to send an email with "large" attachments or a "large" total size of the attachments, there is a possibility that they can hang in the outbox.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm

Try that. However, when sending the emails, try them one at a time. I would also recommend checking with your ISP to see if there is a cap on the size of attachment that can be sent. Many ISPs will deny you the ability to send large attachments which can cause messages to stay in the outbox and cause this issue. Eventually, they fail or are returned with the indication that they could not be sent due to size.

Reaction score
Hi Surfer,

I really do appreciate your time and input on this. We had tried that tool but because he had already deleted the message from the outbox a few days back it doesn't find anything to remove. Same with the other alternatives on the page as there's nothing there to delete. I'm trying to figure out where on the computer outlook would be keeping the spooling of this phantom message that continues to send everytime his outlook goes through the send/receive process. So far no luck. Thanks again!

~M.

Reaction score
I accidentally hit the send/receive all folder on Microsoft outlook today. No clue what that does? Did I just send all my emails to everyone? Please help

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I accidentally hit the send/receive all folder on Microsoft outlook today. No clue what that does? Did I just send all my emails to everyone? Please help

Send/Receive is a function to send mail or receive mail that has not yet been through either function. Using the All feature performs this function with all email addresses associated with Outlook.

Ask a Question