Outlook Outlook 2003 always tries to install

Reaction score
Hi,

New member here.

I've been asked to install Outlook 2003 (just the office suite, really) on a few workstations at my office. I've done this and the program works fine in an administrator account.

But in every other limited user account, which they must remain, Outlook.exe simply launches the Outlook installer. it attempts to decompress some files and then errors out because some .cab isn't available. It writes nothing to the Application or System event logs for reference.

I tried this even though there's nothing in the event log:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911682
Several of the permissions on the registry keys were not available for modification at all in a local administrator account. The "Allow" column was altogether blank. After making the suggested changes that were available, explorer.exe stopped loading after winlogon in ALL normal user accounts and I had to do a system restore from safe mode.

I've also tried using the .msi installation cleanup utility provided by Microsoft but that rendered the whole Office Suite useless and required system restore.

Can anyone please help me with this? Is it even possible to properly use Outlook 2003 on a limited user account? I'm about to cut my losses and install Thunderbird.

Thank you.

R

__
Windows XP
Panda
Browsing is locked
Intranet - Local Domain
Specs - Strong enough to run Windows XP

Reaction score
Solved

Problem solved.

I had to log in under the local restricted account and run the setup. When running, it asked for credentials to install. I entered my domain admin credentials and it installed just fine.

So... apparently... you can't install Outlook 2003 on an admin account on any XP machine and expect it to work correctly in a restricted account. That, to me, seems ridiculous. But at least it's working now.

Ask a Question