Outlook outlook 2003 reply

Reaction score
Okay here's the deal:
I'm using outlook 2003 and have for a long time. suddently I'm not recieving reply's from others when they use the reply button. I've tried using my hotmail account to try to reply to my own email from outlook and in hotmail it is send but it doesn't show up in outlook. The problem is that every time people reply to one of my emails sent from outlook I don't recieve the reply and the sender can't see that there is a problem because it appears as sent in their program....
There is no problem recieving regular (non-replied) emails or sending... PLEASE help

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
How have you tested this? I would suggest configuring a throw away email account with one of the providers your recipients are using. EX: Gmail. That will allow you to see what is happening. Things like: outlook is simply not attaching your email address to the message. That could be due to default account settings. Tools>Accounts.

Its a start.

-Surfer

Reaction score
I've tested it with both g-mail and hotmail. Both seem fine, the correct adress is there and it is placed as sent in both mail-programs. Furthermore I've tried to delete the automatic adress in the reply and write it myself and the same thing happens. It looks as if it's sent and doesn't reach my outlook:-(

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Hrm.....

How about this. Configure Outlook to use Gmail. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13278

Set the gmail account to be default for sending mail so that Outlook will attach your gmail address to the message. At which point, perform the same tests. Send from outlook (using gmail as default) to your hotmail and back.

If you have the same problem with that configuration, perhaps you are having a program specific issue. Especially if you can Gmail to Hotmail and back using the respective sites and not via outlook.
*note: Outlook will download all messages from Gmail no matter how old, so if you have a lot in that particular inbox...it could take a while.

Also, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ave-sent/bad4f077-f9a7-42c8-8e9e-91fe3ab25688

While it doesn't directly apply to the specific application, couldn't hurt to check the name by which you are replied.
-Surfer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay did that and no problem could mail via outlook as gmail to hotmail and reply back. Tjecked the link but not sure how I'm supposed to do that in outlook 'the name by which I am replied'?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
To check the name that will show to users for reply: Tools>Accounts>double click the account in question. On the Change email account box, the first two should be NAME and EMAIL ADDRESS. This will be what people see when viewing an email from you.

Gmail via Outlook proves that Outlook is working. Reinstalling the program won't do anything but muck up your situation even more. The easiest would be to remove the offending account and re-configure it. Removing the account from the Tools>Accounts list won't remove any mail, but will remove the ability for the program to check/send mail from that account. Once you remove the account, I would ensure that the setting takes properly by shutting down Outlook and restarting your computer. Typically, this isn't anything that is necessary. What it will do is ensure that Outlook has saved the settings for that account no longer being available and it will ensure that Windows loads the system registry again. Once the machine is up, try to send mail. Again, not entirely necessary, but will prove to you that as the steps go on, the system still works and will give you a benchmark if something goes wrong during your troubleshooting.

Once you're all done with that, configure the offending email account again. Be sure to have your settings ABSOLUTELY correct. When the account is set up, try sending/replying again.

Reaction score
You are officially my new hero:blush:) It worked, I'm not sure why but who cares...Thank you sooo much

Ask a Question