OneCare cleaned up

I just clean installed, and only loaded up three non MS programs: clickie,
Foxit reader and ISObuster and ran Live OneCare which found 'PWS:Win32/Dump'.
I wonder if the many XP users who use these programs have found the same with
them? <Bl**dy freeware!!>

db

with the exception of Microsoft,
third party freeware usually has a catch 22.
I just clean installed, and only loaded up three non MS programs: clickie,
Foxit reader and ISObuster and ran Live OneCare which found 'PWS:Win32/Dump'.
I wonder if the many XP users who use these programs have found the same with
them? <Bl**dy freeware!!>

Nightowl

There are also many excellent, perfectly reputable and innocent freeware
apps and utilities, e.g. AdAware, Spybot, Unlocker, ERUNT,
ProcessExplorer, Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, PC Inspector File
Recovery, CCLeaner, ShellExView, K9 spam filter, etc. And those are just
some I use :)

db

There is a lot you need to learn....

And simply stating "False" to those
things you think that you know, but
really do not understand, is not very
helpful.

I omitted microsoft from the argument.
But since your brought it up, you
really do not understand the purpose of WGA.....

Galen Somerville

Speaking of growing up, why don't you?
Nobody here likes HTML in newsgroups.

Galen

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
grow up....

db said:
with the exception of Microsoft,
third party freeware usually has a catch 22.

Please do not post in HTML.

Thank you.

Alias

db

i use a microsoft web base newsreader
to respond to issues with microsoft
products posted on microsoft newsgroups
at microsoft servers

i don't care about your limitations, likes
or dislikes.

- db

db said:
There is a lot you need to learn....

There is a lot *everyone* needs to learn.
And simply stating "False" to those
things you think that you know, but
really do not understand, is not very
helpful.

What you said -- and snipped -- was false. Some freeware have blue
meanies, some don't.
I omitted microsoft from the argument.
But since your brought it up, you
really do not understand the purpose of WGA.....

Really? Then please explain its purpose and how it benefits the end user
if you can (you can't).

Oh, and learn how to post properly on Usenet while you're at it.

Alias

db

i use a microsoft web base newsreader
to respond to issues with microsoft
products posted on microsoft newsgroups
at microsoft servers

i don't care about your limitations, likes
or dislikes.

Alias said:
grow up....

Be a grown up and learn how to post properly on Usenet.

Alias

Alias

db said:
i use a microsoft web base newsreader
to respond to issues with microsoft
products posted on microsoft newsgroups
at microsoft servers

i don't care about your limitations, likes
or dislikes.

- db

No, you MISuse the software. Posting in HTML is improper Usenet posting
and makes you look foolish. The fact that you won't stop reveals your
immaturity.

Alias

Alias

db said:
i use a microsoft web base newsreader
to respond to issues with microsoft
products posted on microsoft newsgroups
at microsoft servers

That doesn't excuse your posting improperly on Usenet.
i don't care about your limitations, likes
or dislikes.

How nice. Are you like this with everyone you meet?

Alias

HeyBub

Alias said:
Really? Then please explain its purpose and how it benefits the end
user if you can (you can't).

I can.

It discourages and prevents theft. That keeps the price down for all of us.

By insisting on a genuine MS product, the chances of imbedded nastiness is
eliminated. Some of this imbedded malware can hurt millions - such as
trojans that propagate spam.

I'm an end-user. I'm also a MS stockholder. Keeping dividends up obviously
benefits me.

That's three.

db

i respond to the o.p. to be helpful and
supportive.

it is not my intent to insult, contradict,
debate or discuss viewpoints with other
respondants even if i disagree with them.

if you have a better solution then provide
it to the o.p. instead of hijacking the thread
or stalking the newsgroup with an alias .

you see it's easier to attack someone
else when you can not provide
wisdom for a possible solution for
the "subject at hand"

i suggest that you back off from
the alienating tone you have
chosen.

I would rather see
how smart you can be
rather than seeing how much
of a smart a** you know
how to be...

- db

Alias said:
There is a lot you need to learn....

There is a lot *everyone* needs to learn.
And simply stating "False" to those
things you think that you know, but
really do not understand, is not very
helpful.

What you said -- and snipped -- was false. Some freeware have blue
meanies, some don't.
I omitted microsoft from the argument.
But since your brought it up, you
really do not understand the purpose of WGA.....

Really? Then please explain its purpose and how it benefits the end user
if you can (you can't).

Oh, and learn how to post properly on Usenet while you're at it.

Alias

db

as far as i understand it to be
the Usenet is not under anyones control.

where is your validation....?
Alias said:
i use a microsoft web base newsreader
to respond to issues with microsoft
products posted on microsoft newsgroups
at microsoft servers

That doesn't excuse your posting improperly on Usenet.
i don't care about your limitations, likes
or dislikes.

How nice. Are you like this with everyone you meet?

Alias

GHalleck

HeyBub said:
I can.

It discourages and prevents theft. That keeps the price down for all of us.

By insisting on a genuine MS product, the chances of imbedded nastiness is
eliminated. Some of this imbedded malware can hurt millions - such as
trojans that propagate spam.

I'm an end-user. I'm also a MS stockholder. Keeping dividends up obviously
benefits me.

That's three.

As any statistician will write, WPA, upon which WGA depends, has a very
serious flaw. There are no unique identifiers associated with WPA such
that one can definitively prove that a product being activated is truly
genuine or not. For all of the MS products that require WPA, perhaps a
few dozen or so have the same identifier in the WPA database in any given
120-day period and this generates the false-positive reports. It would
have been better to have MS assign unique activation numbers to each
legitimate product key issued and use this method to police illegitimate
activity. And don't tell me what MS's own SQL or even its Office Access
applications cannot accomplish this job. I have nothing against product
registration and activation, simultaneously. It also legitimizes the
user for support and this covers the budgetary considerations for lower
pricing...something which a haphazard WPA/WGA/WGA(N) system cannot do.

Nor does WGA eliminate the potential of malware infestation since it
may well have discouraged the offended, legitimate users from going
to the Windows Update site, even when critical updates are supposed
to be downloaded without harassment. My business has picked up due to
increased calls to do more offline updates than the user doing it by
themselves. (DST-patching, for example, has been good to me.)

Finally, I'd keep a close eye on MS stock. I'd sell mine if it were not
for the capital gains tax that I would have to pay in liquidating. And
true, dividends might not last forever.

Alias

HeyBub said:
I can.

It discourages and prevents theft.

False. It encourages people to check out alternatives like Linux.
That keeps the price down for all of us.

The price of Windows has gone up. False again.
By insisting on a genuine MS product, the chances of imbedded nastiness is
eliminated.

False.

Some of this imbedded malware can hurt millions - such as
trojans that propagate spam.

WGA is not an anti virus or anti malware program. False again.
I'm an end-user. I'm also a MS stockholder. Keeping dividends up obviously
benefits me.

False again. Sell short if you're smart.
That's three.

No, that's NONE.

Alias

Alias