One node MSCS cluster

Frank Grison

I have a server running Windows 2003 with just a systemdisk (C:).

I would like to create a 'one node MSCS cluster' on this server.
This is no problem but ... you cannot create a 'physical disk
resource', since there are no shared disks available.

Is there a way to 'trick' the system and use the only disk as a shared
disk ?

David Morgan

Sorry bud. Won't work. Seperate disk required, by design.

Now in 2003 you CAN create a local quorum on a single local drive, even IDE
by building an MNS cluster (Majority Node Set). Just configure a local
quorum cluster when you install or you can turn a multinode shared buss
cluster into an MNS cluster by changing the location of the quorum
resource. With MSN you can have multinode clusters that has no shared
storage. At present they are only good for things like file servers and can
be useful in training or you could use it for getting the benefit of
administrative shares. In an MNS cluster the cluster service doesn't take
on the responsibility of managing failovers for applications. In MNS
applications have to be written specifically to manage their own failovers
and the location and integrity of shared data.

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.