    this, can 2007 do this?

    Rather than have a table referencing a second sub table

    Pat

    Patrick Stubbin, Jun 3, 2010

  2. Am 03.06.2010 01:09, schrieb Patrick Stubbin:
    > Many eyars ago I used a database language called "PICK", this enabled you to
    > have a field with multiples entries in one record of a table. I read
    > somewehre that Access 2007 had this capability, I cant find areference to
    > this, can 2007 do this?
    >
    > Rather than have a table referencing a second sub table
    >
    > Pat

    Hi,

    in Access 2007 it´s posible to do so.
    Create a table and add a new field as a combobox. Then you can choose:
    Allow multiple entry yes/no.

    Regards
    Jörn

    Jörn Bosse, Jun 3, 2010

  3. Using the ACCDB form of databases, it is possible to define a multi-value
    field. However, you will find it a "royal pain" when you want to use it
    later in queries. That is why most of the experienced relational database
    developers I know will suggest that you do what you then describe: a table
    with a linked related table. Believe me, it will save you grief in the long
    run.

    Many are convinced that this capability was added only to be able to support
    existing data in SharePoint Lists.

    --
    Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
    Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

    "Patrick Stubbin" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Access Developer, Jun 3, 2010
  4. Patrick Stubbin

    Jeff Boyce Guest

    Patrick

    I'm with Larry ... yes, you can, but WHY?!

    Sticking more than one fact in one field means locating the one fact among
    many in the field just got that much more difficult!

    Far easier to use related tables ... and you seem to be describing a
    one-to-many relationship. One record in your (main) table could have zero,
    one, or many related records in a second table.

    Good luck!

    Regards

    Jeff Boyce
    Microsoft Access MVP