Old Overclockers UK Comments

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I have ordered thousands of pounds worth of equipment from OCUK and they have ALL come before 10am the next day via Amtrack courier. I have never had to send anything back and tech support are always willing to answer any questions you may have regarding anything.

If you don't have any problem with your hardware, then you will of course have no problem with their support.

I'm currently trying to get a refund for an item returned well within the cooling off period through my credit card company.

You guys may want to drop a line there:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/computers.shtml

Reaction score
Poor service yet again...

VERY POOR SERVICE. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SUPPLIER UNLESS YOU WISH TO NEVER RETURN GOODS

Currently embroiled in trying to replace faulty memory and being fobbed off at every turn.

Points here:
• Memory is the crucial recommended memory for the board.
• I’ve built the PC fine with other memory
• I’ve tested the memory using CD booted Memtest-86 (and the other “good” memory)
• I’ve had the board returned to SCAN for testing (cost me £20+) as I thought it was faulty board.

Basically there’s no reason why it’s not faulty memory.

So…

Tried to contact OC. Get engaged, ringing out (5 mins+) or just plain cut off on either number.
There’s no email address, so I have to use the web form to fill in an online request…

At first I got an RMA number, so memory was returned. Two weeks later I get the same memory back in the post – no word to whether it’s good or bad.

Think, well, maybe they’ve used the same packaging and replaced the DIMMS.

So I use the memory test software again, and it’s failed in exactly the same place. Ho hum.

Try to contact OC, and this where the fun has started…

No luck on the phone.

Here are the two replies I’ve had so far:

Dear Andrew,

I have just read the testing results for the memory and the memory was
found not to be faulty. If you are getting memtest errors and we are
not that sounds to me like you have compatibility issues with you
motherboard or your motherboard is at fault. We cannot replace items that we
deem not to be faulty.

Regards,

Gavin Newcombe

Dear Andrew,

We will have tested the memory in memtest also. However if errors are
occurring then generally it is attributed to memory. However there may
be faulty DIMMS, or memory bus's or the memory controller on the CPU
could be faulty, a memory error in a program is not necessarily the
memory. We test the memory with known working items, which eliminates all
other possibilities so we can be sure that the memory is not faulty.

Regards,

James Teague

The thing is, I’ve tested the memory on differing kit. It’s the memory, there’s no doubt about it, why not admit it…

VERY POOR SERVICE. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SUPPLIER UNLESS YOU WISH TO NEVER RETURN GOODS

Reaction score
lousy customer service as well

tried to order one of this weeks special offers, had it on website rang in, agent said offer had ended, popinted out i had it on screen, was asked to refresh, lo and behold it had gone whilst i was phoning and they wouldn't honour the offer.

emailed a number of web notes no joy.

they haven't got a clue what customer service is.

dave

Reaction score
`OCUK forums and Overclockers retail shop not related!'

Or are they ???

By name, yes they are. By host and domain registration, yes they are. However, ask thier staff via the phone at Stoke and no, they are not. With the exeption of one Mark Proudfoot (aka Spie) who apparently isn't able to speak to a lowly customer on the telephone anyway.

Why this opening paragraph ? Right, cue a slightly long winded but relevant explanation.
I have a good friend who has used OCUK forums for a few years and has been a regular customer for longer of the shop in Stoke. I used to be a Scan customer and will now be returning to Scan following a brief stay on the OCUK forums. Of all things, quite innocently I posted to a thread about three weeks ago, marked as a Friday night joke thread. Ok my joke had some four letter word for feces disguised by the use of stars in place of letters. I duly got a suspension of my account notice through my email which said that I would b suspended for 48 hours. Fair enough, I thought I could handle that. My freind and I laughed about it a little bit, naturally enough.

However a couple of mitigating circumstances lead me down other roads of thought as to how `caring' they OCUK really are (or are not as the case may be). Another very highly esteemed friend of mine who I used to see quite frequently got himself severely injured through electrocution and landed in hospital with a minimum four month stay. Two threads sprouted on the OCUK forums about him and I had previously registered a forum account a few months previously so thought I should join in and voice support for our friend. Three weeks ago was when this was going on, and about that time is when I made the joke post. I earned what was described in a notification email to me was a 48 hour suspension.

Well, a week went by and nothing had been done to rectify my account. Two messages over the weekend revealed no answer or response. Two weeks later, a further message to admins asking very politely what was happening earned no answer. Three weeks later, this evening I am still suspended and unable to make any comment in the OCUK thread about my friends condition noether to his daughter who has an OCUK account, nor to his son who also I believe has an OCUK account. I mentioned the fact that I wished to track activity in the aforementioned threads in each message to admins about my suspension as well. Also on the second week I telephoned Overclockers and spoke to `Chris', who stated that Overclockers have little bearing or relationship with OCUK forums, aside from Mark Proudfoot who apparently was unavailable at that time and would remain unavailable in terms of discussing the OCUK forum.

All things considered, and, given the original situation as it stood (that I had `merely' been suspended for 48 hours) it transpires that basically the shop are accepting no responsibility for thier forum despite the opposite being true of the forum itself as being a sales prop for the shops operation, sales and marketing. This is a conclusion I have come to and I may be wrong (I still hold out hope that I am), however I have stated the siatuation on the phone with regard to my elecrocuted friend now three times at least via message to the forum admins and nothing has been done, not have they seen fit to honour me with a reply (even to say bog off or something would be better then nothing).

The way I see it is that the forum is a yardstick against which I now judge the entire Overclockers operation as a retail outlet of computing goods. They do not appear to be caring in the slightest, nor particularly considerate of the individual needs of forum members, and therefore I assume nor customers. I have shopped with OC before but have no intention of spending a single penny with them again due to this treatment.

I would never reccommend Overclockers to anyone ever again, however good thier price strategy might apparently be. It is no use to progress of society and business when the disillusionment of a client falls on deaf ears.

Stay well away from Overclockers and it's mafia inspired forum setup. Or, at the very least go and take a good loook around the forums before committing your business expenses to them, or your hard earned money. You will see just how imho they are purporting themselves to be a greater asset and entity over and above maintaining the fine service they used to provide, which is now seemingly almost non existant and disconnected.

A far from happy place and one very very far from happy EX customer.

Reaction score
Message header should heave read:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mox3d said:
Message header should heave read:
Header sorted.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been lucky with this supplier as well, had a faulty 6800GT graphics card turned around in three days and the people I spoke to on the phone were very helpful. I even had the return postage fee credited to my credit card without asking.

But there's no smoke without fire I guess and I sometimes wonder...

As for the Forums, I've looked at them, wasn't that impressed so did not join.

Reaction score
Make of his story what you will, but it is my experience, and I feel I must share it :) You only find out how good a company is when things go wrong. Faulty hardware is a fact of life, but if you get a replacement or a refund with the minimum of fuss then you can ask for no more. However, with this company, getting ANY sort of after sales help is like getting blood from a stone. I spent £370 on a top of the line liquid cooled graphics card. It arrived no problem, however, when I installed the card 2 things became apparent. 1st - the card had a fault as it displayed artifacts during heavy 3d rendering. 2nd - the quoted speeds of the gpu and memory were incorrect. I reported this by email as my phone calls ranged from disconnected, to evasive, to rude. I then drove through to their store and eventually (2 hours) someone took the card away to be tested. Now, even though the card was running at the incorrect speed, they would not agree that they were at fault, claiming I should contact Sapphire myself !. Secondly, regarding the fault, they said they tested it and didn't find any fault (they wouldn't show me it running though). I created a stink as is my way, but the manager would not budge. I was sent home with my faulty and "not as advertised" goods. Now regarding their "testing" proceedure - anyone who knows about the current high end set of Ati graphics cards knows that they run at 2 speeds, a slower speed for normal 2d mode, then they shift up to full speed when entering 3d. Now what OCUK do is to make sure that the critical service that "ups" the speed when 3d mode is detected, is not running, thereby keeping to the slower 2d speeds all the time. Now this is why the faults don't show up ! Companies get away with this kind of thing because of the cost and hassle of taking them to court is usually too much, and the few times it happens they can absorb the cost of any judgement against them. I cannot stress enough, NEVER buy from this company. This experience was very stressful and costly for me, and a simple google search will find many similar stories of this retailer.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its only three guys got banned, and they were banned long after that thread going by their profiles, but i do agree the OCUK forum mods dont like people slating their website. But to be fair that is understandable i suppose.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
well after reading 2 pages i gave up on the forum..what a load of tosh...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
V_R said:
Its only three guys got banned, and they were banned long after that thread going by their profiles, but i do agree the OCUK forum mods don't like people slating their website. But to be fair that is understandable i suppose.
They were slating the service they received by OCUK primarily, the website aspect comes about by the looks of it because they were commenting on the forum banning/removing threads when they criticise the company.

I suppose if you run the company and the site they you are entitled to do what you want, but I think they would come over far better dealing with the problems rather than stifling them.

That being said, I have only had 1 problem in the past with them relating to faulty RAM - those that remember the thread will note it did take a bit of persistence to get it dealt with properly - although they did come good in the end.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Only after being pointed in the direction of your thread Ady....

Reaction score
Customer service - or not

Hi,
have been using Overclockers UK in the past and now wanted some information on a laptop before buying it. A simple question regarding the addressable memory on a 4GB unit with Vista.
I was very surprised with the answer "contact the manufacturer" and the attitude of the service manager Anthony.
below is the email echange.
I will indeed go to where it is cheaper and perhaps a person that cares to answer the question.

-p
Dear Per Norrgren,

Thank you for the web note.
Then go where it is £20 cheaper.
Regards
Anthony
Customer Services Manager
---------------------
In reply to
---------------------
Hi,
You used to be overclockers and know all there was to know about the PCs and components you sold....
You were the authority on PCs and much admired.
Do you seriously not know how much of the memory is addressable under Vista in this machine you are selling?
You are the people selling this machine and you ought to know what you are selling or not?
Explain why I should then not just buy it £20 cheaper from one of the mass outlets that employ monkeys that do not have a clue about PCs?
Per Norrgren

-----Original Message-----
Dear Per Norrgren,
Thank you for the web note. I would recomend contacting Samsung for support in this matter. If it does not have 64bit already installed then you would need to purchase a copy of it.
Regards,
Anthony Evans
---------------------
In reply to
---------------------
Hi,
I am intersted in the LT-049-SA laptop. I note that it comes with 4GB of RAM. How much is addressable/usable of that?
How much is it to have a version of 64bit Vista installed that can make use of all the 4GB of RAM?
thanks and regards
Per Norrgren

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Ha, thats quite amusing.

Have only just started using OCUK really and not had any problems, i guess they are doing well enough not to need your business.

Buy it from somewhere else mate, just make sure its not PCWorld or Comet.

Ask a Question