Old Overclockers UK Comments

Reaction score
I have been using OcUK for years to order my parts and have been hanging arround in the forums for nearly as long, I have always got good service from them, prompt delivery and an excelent RMA procedure but I so rairly have to RMA anything from OcUK I havn't had much call for it.

In recent years they have been becomming more and more competative with their prices beeting dabs.com on a constant basis.

Basicly if you want a good delivery, good prices and excelent service you should look no further than OcUK.

Reaction score
Never been disappointed bu overclockers.co.uk. Excellent delivery, very reliable and they usually stock the best products from the best manufacturers. Prices are a bit higher than some others, but their service and next day delivery justify these. As an example, i ordered an item from them one lunchtime, and phoned a couple of hours later to see if i could add in another piece of kit that was probably worth around £5...they said no problem, pulled my half processed order, added the new item and got it to me the next day at no extra delivery charge. I can't remember ever phoning them and getting stuck in a queue, either!

Reaction score
OcUK Rule!

Fantastic company, been around for years, very competitive, stock only the best hardware and are normally always first to market with the latest and best hardware. :)

Reaction score
RETURNS DISCOURAGED = POLICY??

I ordered a hard drive from overclockers.co.uk. Very soon after placing the order they sent me an e-mail confirming the order. I noticed it was the wrong model. Within minutes I was on the phone to them confirming that the order had now in fact been cancelled and all was seemingly OK.

I ordered another HDD from another company and started to relax.

Next day the 'cancelled' one from Overclockers arrived! I e-mailed them to query it and had a nice reply from Alex Grecian saying it was too late to cancel, "send it back". I did that, in original box unopened, clearly marked etc. Paid £5.20 for the privilege.

Now today the box came back again "refused acceptance". I asked to speak to the Customer Service guy there who sent me the e-mail (Alex). The guy answering saying "Alex was busy" so I spoke to a manager, Dave Hutchison. Now this is where is gets strange. The manager seemed to know exactly what I was going to say about delivery refused etc.. as if this happens with them all the time. He also said the previous guy I spoke to had actually been the one I asked to speak to (Alex) and had pretended it wasn't !!

The manager didn't want to listen and quickly developed an attitude with me and said I needed a special number to send things back or they would refuse the box - which they hadn't given me in their mail (they had a week to give me a return number)

Now they want me to send it back AGAIN. Fat chance. When I mentioned leaving feedback he became a little upset.

So be aware that OVERCLOCKERS UK are over efficient when it comes to sending the wrong goods, but are positivelly cr*p at accepting them back. It makes me wonder whether their POLICY is not to accept or to discourage any any returns??

[Its too late but I looked on another site "romulus2.com" and every post mentions bad customer service]

Reaction score
Spoken to Overclockers and ordered a couple of times but rufuse to anymore. Nothing wrong with the products or prices at all, but the customer service is **** big style. Totally agree with the other review if you want to return something, prepare for a big struggle and dont be surprised if they want a 10 page essay on why your returning it lol
In summary, great if the products arrive on time and in good condition but if you have any problems you better start praying to the big PC tech in the sky cos he more likely to fix it for u!

Reaction score
Absolutely terrible, cowboy company

Absolutely terrible company to purchase and deal with. It was far from a pleasure in fact it was a nightmare.

3 DOA motherboards and they try to blame it on myself even though I build computers for a living!

Was promised a refund instead they returned the motherboards and charged a testing fee.

Sales/returns staff are rude and obnoxious.

Their forums are policed by power mad moderators how are intend in ruining the community spirit and banning you if you disagree.

Complete disaster of a company, would not recommend to any one for love nor money.

Reaction score
From looking at the ratings here it seems that Overclockers have deteriorated considerably over the last couple of years. I placed an order with them on Dec 27th, then when checking the order status a few days later discovered 1 item was out of stock. There is no way to access an open order & edit it, & as there was no indication on the website as to when stock was expected I emailed them to ask. No response.
Over the next couple of weeks I emailed the orders dept, sales dept, managing director... still no response. Then my credit card statement arrived & I discovered they had charged my card on the day of the order.
Finally almost a month after the order was placed I phoned them, and spoke to a rude, bored sounding sales guy who informed me that now a second item was also out of stock, & no they hadn't a clue when new stock was expected for either item.
When I asked why the in stock goods weren't allocated when the order was placed the reply was a grunt (sort of verbal shrug!) & why had my credit card been charged already? Another verbal shrug. I'm now waiting for the rest of the goods to arrive, and also for a refund on my card.
I will never EVER use Overclockers again.

Reaction score
poor service

Below is a copy of a mail I sent to the manager and can you believe that he didn't even deign to relpy:
I wish to make a complaint about your head of technical support. Last year I purchased around 1500 pounds worth of equipment. Amongst this equipment was a xaser case with a couple of faults. One of the faults was a faulty catch.

I would urge you to study the attatched emails. You will see from these that after contacting Dave Hutchinson I was told that spare parts were available and that a catch would be sent. It didn't arrive. When I asked again I was told "we are stripping one down for you". It didn't arrive. When I complained again I was informed "We will send one to you asap". It didn't arrive. When I complained again I was told that "It is on it's way to you already", however it did not arrive. One of the most diabolical aspects of this is that when I informed Dave I would complain to the managing director I was petulantly told that any complaints would only be forwarded to him anyway.

I think is an extremely poor way to conduct business. I have a small IT company and work in around Banks in Central London. Since this fiasco began I have vowed not to purchase overclockers products and as a result I have so far spent over 3000 pounds elsewhere. Moreover, I have dissuaded colleagues and friends from purchasing over 5000 pounds worth of goods from your site after they inquired as to my experiences.

I think this is a real shame as the web site and delivery services were otherwise excellent. When discussing this situation with friends I hear time and time again that overclockers tech support is not up to scratch and will instantly try and refer you to manufacturers directly. As a result they will make larger purchases elsewhere. Again I am sad that this has happened, all because your head of technical support could not be bothered to put a catch in the post.

Reaction score
Faulty Goods returned to overclockers

This is a warning for anyone who chooses to buy from Overclockers. If your goods have no faults when they are delivered your fine, its when you find you have a problem and need to send it back, that you really see what kind of firm you are dealing with. I purchased a powersupply from them, there was a fault with it, I was told to send it back with everything including oringinal packaging and plug. I had to email them to send me a replacement after waiting nearly a month to get my goods back. Unable to speak to anyone over the phone, the line constantly busy. When I receive my replacement I do get a powersupply, but this is not boxed in the manufacturers box, plus I do not receive it with the a plug. If you read the small print, had I not returned this item, as it was delivered, they have the right to not accept it. I Paid a lot money for this item, and I expected a new replacement. I do not know where this powersupply came from, if it was returned from another customer or had been hanging around, for all I know this could be my original powersupply which they may have repaired. If this is the case, they should have said so and not put the words replacement. I will never use this company again, as it is obvious that once your goods are delivered there is nocustomer care.

Reaction score
Small claims court involved

14th December 2003
I ordered enough components to make a computer including an Abit AN7, TwinMOS 2x512MB PC3200 dual channel kit. When I ordered it online everything was showing in stock and I paid for next day delivery.
15th – 17th December 2003
No order confirmation on the 15th and on phoning was told the power supply was out of stock but was coming in tomorrow. 16th no power supply yet, told tomorrow again. By the 17th it was still not in stock but they had already debited my Visa card so I paid an extra £26 for next model up.
18th December 2003
Everything arrives and is all new and sealed. When I connected all the components together and installed Windows XP the system would crash with various blue screen errors that all indicated a problem with the memory. The memory is sold to run at 200MHz (400MHz DDR) but the only way to get the system to run stable is to run the memory at 166MHz (333MHz DDR).
29th December 2003
I reported the above fault to Overclockers UK by email.
31st December 2003
I received an email from them with an attachment of a RMA form for me to fill out and return. It stated that any goods returned to them without and RMA number would be refused at the point of delivery. £20+VAT charge if they deem it not faulty.
5th January 2004
I completed the form and faxed it to them and sent an email to say that I had done so.
7th January 2004
I phoned Overclockers UK for the next several days to try and get the RMA number but they kept saying "It'll be processed in the next two days" each time.
12th January 2004
I sent an email pointing out what their obligations were and including links to the relevant information on the Trading Standards website. I gave them two days to respond before I would take the matter further with Trading Standards and the small claims court.
13th January 2004
I received the RMA number.
14th January 2004
The TwinMOS memory was packaged in the 'minimum of 2 inches of bubble wrap' that the RMA form states and put in to a box and sent back via Royal Mail special delivery service at my expense.
19th January 2004
I receive an email from Overclockers UK to say the item had been received.
22nd January 2004
I receive an email to say the item is about to be sent back.
23rd January 2004
I receive the memory back in just a thin jiffy bag. The test report they included stated a "mem test fail" and that the memory was replaced. When reconnected to the computer the same problem happens and the memory only runs at 333MHz DDR.
27th January 2004
I sent Overclockers UK an email stating that I had the same problem and requesting advice on what to do next.
30th January 2004
I received no response and the support telephone number is either engaged or is never answered and the sales line refuses to deal with the problem. I sent another copy of the email stating that no response had been received.
10th February 2004
With still no response and the same problem with the telephone support I sent another email stating that if no reply was received I would contact Trading Standards. This email I also copied the sales managers and the director, Mr Proudfoot.
11th February 2004
No response was received so I sent a detailed email to Trading Standards.
13th February 2004
Trading Standards returned my email advising that I send a ‘Time of the essence’ letter with a deadline of 7 days and then proceed to the small claims court if no reply received.
1st March 2004
When I got the small claims court forms I found out there was an easier way to claim using the government site www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. I used this instead which cost £30 and meant I didn’t need to fill out forms in triplicate. Fee was added to amount Overclockers owed me. They had until the 20th March to respond to the court. By this time their website had a warning not to buy the TwinMOS RAM for use on an N-Force board like the AN7 they had sold me.
23rd March 2004
No response received so asked court for default judgement. They ruled in my favour and Overclockers were ordered to pay me £142.50 which was the £30 plus the £112.50 for the faulty RAM.
27th March 2004
I received a cheque from Mr Proudfoot for the full amount. If they had failed to do so then another £50 would have sent in the bailiffs to recover £192.50 for me by seizing goods if they didn't pay up.

Lessons I learned.

1)Never to buy anything further from Overclockers.co.uk. I now use Overclock.co.uk who have been great so far.

2)The small claims court is very easy to use now for amounts under £5000. I didn’t even need to step foot in the court and did everything online. You can track the progress and their helpline is fantastic.

3)Don’t feel intimidated by companies giving you the brush off. Remember the full force of the law is on your side.

I hope Overclockers UK learnt a valuable lesson and start taking their customers seriously once they have taken their money.

Reaction score
Re: Overclockers UK

Dreadful, dreadful customer service!

I received an email from Overclockers UK regarding an order that I didn't place. When I contacted the company to check my credit card wasn't being used fraudulently, I was stunned by their utter lack of interest: "If there's a problem, phone the police". These people are utterly shameless. Their "Customer Service Manager" couldn't even manage an apology for what turned out to be a mix-up. Simple courtesy costs nothing, but this lot can't even be bothered with the basics. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

djc

Reaction score

I was encouraged to read the posting about taking OCUK to court as it seems I'll be following the same route fairly soon. A similar story, I bought core components for a new system (in fact pretty much everything bar the HD) from OC. System was so unstable that I couldn't even load an OS, though all the parts should have been compatible, so sent the mobo back. This was found faulty and replaced without problems, and at that stage I was satisfied with their customer service.

Don't know for sure if the replacement mobo was up to scratch as I had an improved but still unstable system. I sourced a replacement mobo elsewhere, still unstable. Got a replacement CPU. Now I had a stable system, and CPU swapping showed that's where the problem lay. All I needed to do was get that replaced and I'd have the guts of a backup system ready to deploy. More money than I'd planned to spend but I had some ideas about a PVR machine so knew I'd find a use for it.

Got an RMA from OC, send the CPU back Special Delivery. After a couple of weeks asked about progress, got told they were running a backlog. After a couple more weeks chased them up again. Now they claimed they'd never received it back. Not too impressed - they could have checked first time - but as requested got proof of delivery from the PO and sent it to them. Despite this they still claim they don't have it.

Whilst it's possible the PO might have lost an SD package the odds aren't high, and that they'd go one step further and fake a POD seems very unlikely, but nevertheless I wrote to OCUK (recorded delivery, wonder if they'll claim they didn't get that either) saying that if they could send me convincing evidence that it hadn't been received by them I'd try claiming under the PO insurance. Otherwise I'd pursue my claim with them via the Small Claims Court. The fact that they haven't bothered to reply to this letter just about sums their attitude up.

Whether this is just incompetence or a deliberate policy of ignoring complaints and hoping that the customer gives up I'll leave for others to judge. Suffice it to say I won't be doing any further business with them.

Reaction score

I have ordered thousands of pounds worth of equipment from OCUK and they have ALL come before 10am the next day via Amtrack courier. I have never had to send anything back and tech support are always willing to answer any questions you may have regarding anything.

Reaction score

I just recieved an incorrect item from OcUK, once I managed to get thorugh they provided me with an RMA with no argument - however, the person on the phone was... short to say the least.

Reaction score

I bought an expensive 6800GT that broke down a month later. No responce from e-mail, fax, or phone calls. I would never shop with them again. Dreadfull customer services. £300 gone.

Reaction score

Received an external disk drive from overclockers with a loose part rattling round inside. Could not raise their customer support by phone (always engaged). Finally received a RMA after contacting them by email. Had to pay for return and finally received a replacement 10 days later.

I started dealing with this company 4 years ago when a faulty item was collected and replaced in 48 hours. Regrettably this is no longer the case.

Reaction score

well where do i start.....i first brought a msi mobo nforce 2 of oc in 2003, the mobo was faulty which i took back to oc and they replaced without question, the mobo worked fine for 2 weeks then the south bridge chip blew, took it back and with slight argument they replaced it got it home and much to my suprise it didnt even post!

Overclockers then refused to give me a refund but with 2 hours in the shop arguinig with the manager i managed to get a different mbo extra cost (leadtek k7ncr18d pro 2) which i now have had for just over 1 year without any problems hurray!!

to give oc the benifet of doubt i in 2004 september i brought a shapphire 9800 pro gfx card for 150 quid, well chuffed.....NOT! the card didnt work so i took it back an they relaced it the new card worked fine 4 weeks later it stopped working so i took it back again, they tested the card whilst i was there and told me the card was fine so i took the card back home and it didnt work + i put my old gfx card back into my computer and it worked fine, i explained this to the manager at overclockers when i went back and he refused to give me a replacement card or refund me so i kicked up a huge fuss the actuall card haad got r360 core which only xt cards have and all the compnents on the card were not as a 9800 pro should be it was the same card as a 9800 xt with amasment the manager said too me you are not suppose to know this so i basically told the guy that i work in computers and if he did not either give me a replacement card which was a actuall 9800 pro or a refund i would report this with proof to stading standards.

I couldnt belive wot happend he instantly appologised to me and gave me a new gfx card which was a r350 core 9800 pro and told me that if the card ever goe's down he wouldnt give me a refund or a replacement at all so i took the ard home and thankfully it worked fine and has done since, but i did also repart overclockers uk to trading standards about the refub gfx cards and mobos that they sell and they know oc very well i would strongly advise any body who wishes to use oc uk to dont bother i myself hadf the advantage of living only a few miles for the crap hole so i really do feel sorry for the people who live abroard hope thyis post has been of some value too people as the rest of the post's.

Reaction score

I used Overclockers Uk a couple of years ago, they were competitive, quick and precise in delivery of my order and a reasonable trouble free and pleasant online purchasing experience. However, it seems that recently they have become a little more Overclocker.sUk

Reaction score
Overclockers UK - worst of the worst

I only wish I had read this forum before embarking on one of the worst experiences of any online purchasing.

Effectively, they sent me faulty goods are are now denying they have received them back even though they organised the collection themsleves. Due to the impossibility of obtaining any degree of communication with this appauling excuse for a company I did a little digging of my own.

Overclockers Uk is the trading name of a company called Esnet Limited. Esnet Limited only has one Director and his name is a Mr Mark Proudfoot.

Officially He doesnt own any shares in the company though.

The shareholder is a company called Futuremax Technology Limited and guess who owns Futuremax Technology Limited?? Mark and Claire Proudfoot own 50% of the shares and a company called Promicro Limited owns the other 50%.

Now I know what you're thinking - Who owns Promicro Limited? Mark and Claire Proudfoot do.

So Overclockers Uk is nothing more than a trading name for a little web of companies that are all owned by Mark and Claire Proudfoot. Due to the fact they have my money and will not refund it until they can find the parcel that the courier has confirmed he gave to them, I telephoned the Inland Revenue this afternoon and asked them if they have appointed an insolvency practitioner as I believe the reason for the non return of my cash is that overclockers may not be able to pay.

I shall keep you posted, but the chap at the IR was most interested.

Ask a Question