old film scanner - tamarack/jenoptik

Mike

Hello. I've got a cheap film scanner which I bought about 4 years ago.

Its a Tamarack FS 2400, aka JS Jenscan 21 (I think Jenoptik bought the
scanner from Tamarack, or the other way round. I've hardly used it as it's
always been highly temperamental and the quality has been poor.
Basically when I first got it it only worked on about 20% of occasions on a
Windows 98 system. Usually when I tried to acquire the scanner from an image
editing program or just open the program that came with it (Documan) the
program would usually hang and the the computer would crash with a Fatal
Exception when I tried to shut the non-responsive program down.
And when it did work the image quality was very poor, there was allot of
noise etc.
So it ended up not being used much then stored away. I got it because it
was the cheapest and film scanners are very pricey.

Anyway since then I've got a new computer running Windows XP and I thought I
might give the old scanner another go. But I have the same old problem has
occurred. Only now Tamarack have gone bust and they never produced a signed
XP driver for it. I've searched the web and downloaded some Win 2000 drivers
that claim they will work on XP. But again whenever I try and import the
scanner from photoshop etc it hangs. Only this time because I'm using XP is
doesn't bring down the operating system!
Is anyone familiar with this scanner and could they suggest how I might get
it to work? I have a set of negatives I'd like to scan but am put off buying
a proper film scanner by the steep price. It would be too expensive just for
a few photos.
Thanks.

Ralf R. Radermacher

Mike said:
Is anyone familiar with this scanner and could they suggest how I might get
it to work? I have a set of negatives I'd like to scan but am put off buying
a proper film scanner by the steep price.

The Jenoptic makes a great doorstop and there are plenty of decent Nikon
LS-30 available second-hand at very attractive prices.

Ralf

Mike

From: "Mike" (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:11:26 +0100

No promises this will work, but you might try going to

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&la
nguage=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

(start at adaptec dot com if you can't get the whole url to work)

You want to download and install the "WinXP ASPI layer" (or 2K if that's what
you're using) on your machine, then load the scanner driver. This should help
your image capture software find the scanner. You might find your CDROM/RW and
or DVDROM/RW burning software is affected by all this, especially if you're
still using the WinXP built-in burning software.
webpa