Oh the irony!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
According to the posters and the looped video which is displayed on a monitor in our local health centre, one is now encouraged to cough or sneeze either into the crook of an arm, or to use a tissue. Never - it says - use a hand.

So, isn't it a shame when a doctor doesn't observe the hygienic niceties? This morning, we were treated to the sight of a female doctor, sneezing into her hand - twice - then using her fingers to "wipe" her nose! Ugh! Just behind her chair, was a wash hand basin with hot and cold taps, but seemingly, hand washing must also have been a new concept for her, because she didn't make use of them. Again.... ugh!

That happened just seconds before she happily placed her s****y hands on the door handles to leave her room and then the handles of the nurse's room, further along the corridor.... Nice.

And they wonder why infections are spread....!

Sorry guys, probably not the most appropriate post in a forum such as this... but it annoyed me so much, that steam is still rising from my ears! :mad:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Horrendous. :( You would expect better in a doctor's surgery.

In public loos I now never touch the door handles or even the loo handle. I always use a tissue and dispose of it, No good washing your hands and then touching a door handle that might not be clean.

If I'm really stuck and don't have a tissue I will operate the handle using part of it that I feel is the least likely to be touched by others. Then remember to wash as soon as I can.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
So, isn't it a shame when a doctor doesn't observe the hygienic niceties?

I have regular blood tests and the other day just as the nurse was about to stick a needle in my arm I asked if she was going to put gloves on. She said " Staff have regular blood tests for various viruses etc " I said " Thats not the point, how often do the 20 people before me get tested for various viruses etc ? " She put gloves on. When I left I filled in a complaint with the practice manager and apparently mine isn't the first complaint either.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If I'm really stuck and don't have a tissue I will operate the handle using part of it that I feel is the least likely to be touched by others. Then remember to wash as soon as I can.
You are most definitely not alone in doing that @nivrip - in fact, just recently when we had some tradesmen carrying-out a house repair, I became aware that they were not washing their hands after using the loo. After they left, I disinfected the handles and surfaces they had been in contact with. :nod:
I said " Thats not the point, how often do the 20 people before me get tested for various viruses etc ? " She put gloves on.
Good answer @EvanDavis - it seems to me that when talk about AIDS was at its height in the News, medical staff were conscientiously reaching for their surgical gloves, masks, etc., before laying a finger on a patient. Now, however, they have grown lax again. They are once again giving injections, taking blood, etc., bare-handed. I now feel inclined to give them a "reminder" just as you did, next time this happens. It's a two-way thing, as you so correctly pointed-out to the nurse who was about to treat you. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Didn't you say anything to her?
This was the first time we had ever encountered her, so we were actually a bit surprised by her supercilious attitude and unhygienic personal habits.

It was one of those slightly awkward situations, because we were trying to sort out some treatment options for the nasty ulcer beneath my husband's foot. Strong antibiotics - which had been prescribed by another of the partners, just as a precaution - were disagreeing badly with him. But instead of listening intelligently, to establish exactly what has been happening, she behaved a bit like the smirky school bully. Apparently, "shock" treatment is what she felt was needed: "Which is better, medication which disagrees with you, or an amputated foot!" Yeah, stress out the patients, that's a really good tactic! Lovely woman!

Had she so much as attempted to examine the foot though, we would, of course, have objected and stopped her. (I think that kind of thing was a bit beneath her anyway, being a "job for the nurse to dress it properly!" Lol I think she was expecting to find that I'd stuck a corn-plaster over it or something equally dumb! (I'm not a medic, but have experience of dressing ulcers, from when hubby had some problems a few years back.)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... remember, in a supermarket, to wash your hands before handling loose fresh fruit & vegetables, and after.

Hygiene? :lol:

You go to the toilet, you turn the tap on, wash your hands, turn the tap off ... err, haven't you just re soiled your hands? ... and did you get redressed before washing?

TC ... she wouldn't have lasted 2mins with me. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I always carry Anitbacterial gel about with me. Just a little one. Ya know what kids are like :wall:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your husband's foot @Taffycat! I hope he sees some improvement soon.

That's terrible about the bad hygiene practices, I can understand why you were so frustrated by it. I think a lot of doctors' surgeries nowadays have feedback cards - you should make the most of them :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your husband's foot @Taffycat! I hope he sees some improvement soon.

That's terrible about the bad hygiene practices, I can understand why you were so frustrated by it. I think a lot of doctors' surgeries nowadays have feedback cards - you should make the most of them :)
Thank you Becky :)

To be honest, I have been thinking about submitting a complaint, but kind of envisage them all "closing ranks" and paddling in denial (lol, sorry, terrible pun.)

Actually, this week just keeps getting worse... This morning, I had a podiatry appointment, but found that the driver's door on the car would not close! Just keeps bouncing off the latch. (We have literally only had it for about 5 days or so, so a bit unexpected to have this happen.)

We had a word with the garage, who told us to ring the RAC... apparently, the RAC are "very busy" today, so first they told us they would be here within 1.5 hours... but now, they say it will be by 4 pm! Great. One appointment missed; another due tomorrow; two cats are due for vet appointments this week - and a few other plans have also gone completely awry. Aarrghhh...! :lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh crikey! It never rains but it pours :rolleyes: Hope they manage to sort it out today!

Ask a Question