Oh Laptop Why Wont U Start?

Reaction score
Hi, i wonder if any one can help me please? i have an old but faithfull toshiba satellite 1000 laptop running xp home. i went to turn it on last week and the power lights came on and the fan started (like it would normally do) but no h/d or monitor activity it doesnt even get to the bios screen it just sits there with the 3 power leds lit! I know of 7 other people who have had a similar problem on their laptops or towers the computers did the same periodically then eventually wouldnt start at all. but with persistant turning on and off over 3 / 4 days they came back to life gradually (unfortunately mine wont). Is there some kind of virus or worm or something going around or a prob with xp? My laptop doesnt even go on the net and anything i put into it is scanned first. Am getting a bit worried now as my tower has started 2 do the same thing every now and then but always restarts. Im 1 pc down already cant handle losing a 2nd. Am desperate to try sort it out as i need it for work. Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm afraid AGE gets the better of all of us ... including machinery. :(

With a PC, it is easier to replace dead components ... laptops, well, can't even use it as a planter. :blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had an old Toshiba laptop do the exact same - in the end I had to chuck it. Like Techy says, best to remove and reinsert the battery as well as trying anything else you can think of. Does your screen stay completely black and no beeps?

Reaction score
thanks for your replies guys i tried reinserting battery (as in the main battery) made no difference seems to be gettin power by mains and battery ok no beeps and completely blank screen (like screens not coming out of standby) had thought maybe id strip it down and take the battery off the board (or is that what you wanted me to do?)and see if it clears cmos thats about all i can think of. dont spose any of you know where i can pick up replacement boards at a good price? thanks again

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could try looking around eBay for bits, but you could also end up buying the same problem again. I have seen that very problem on various laptops, (mostly viao & dell though) and its usually terminal... I trust you hit the reset button? (as opposed to digging about inside for the cmos battery) most laptops have one (a tiny hole somwhere) check the manual to find it. Finally, house insurance may cover it if it fell off the table :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Jaguar ... how can suggest such a thing? Fallin off the table and 'claming' off your household insurance, I'm disgusted ... everyone knows it has to fall down the stairs. :eek:

Don't be a stranger, pop in from time to time. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Jaguar ... how can suggest such a thing? Fallin off the table and 'claming' off your household insurance, I'm disgusted ... everyone knows it has to fall down the stairs. :eek:

Don't be a stranger, pop in from time to time. ;)

Or out the window..... Or the dog ate it...... or (this one is true) I drove over it in my car..... :D

Me? a stranger nah... you know better... :cool:

Ask a Question