Offline Folder - GPO - Help ! :-)

Hello,

We are deploying at an enterprise level around 600 WXP Pro SP2 laptops.
Each user's home directory targets a network share that is identified as M:\
for everyone.

Is there anys mean to lock, through GPO, the use of "Make Available
Offline..." menu item only on the M:\ drive so that users won't be able to
synchronize other network folders ?

I know that it can be done when configuring the shares options but that's
not the target my IS/IT board wants to reach.

By the way, another question : what the default local size limit (in Gb)
dedicated to Offline Folder ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Xho

Eric Ortiz \(MCSE, CCEA, CCNA\)

I believe what you are looking for can be found in both the User Config
& Computer Config portions of the GPO ( Computer/User Config -> Admin
Templates -> Network -> Offline Files):

"Prohibit user configuration of offline files" - Prevents users from
enabling, disabling, or changing the configuration of Offline Files.

"Prohibit 'make available offline' for these files and folders" - This
policy setting allows you to manage a list of files or folders for which
you wish to prohibit the 'Make Available Offline' option.

There's no limit on the number of files in the offline cache, and no
limit on the total size of a folder that's "made available offline".
There is a 2GB limit on the total size of the CSC (client side cache).

Hope this helps.

Thks,

Eric J. Ortiz
Fusion Consulting Services, Inc.