offensive & untrue

antioch

Craig
Surely you mean let the poster be the 'guinea-pig' not the 'judge' as you
put it.
How can a poster judge the merit of advice if he cannot be sure of the
source. If I was able to recognize the merit of any advice given, then I
would not have needed to ask the question in the first place.
That is why lots of us come here. It is certainly not to compound our
problems.
As I have said before, if YOU see a stupid or wrong bit of advice, then come
in with your answer - then the poster has a choice and can then make a
decision.
Don't just sit back and have a good laugh at the plight of the poor dumb
idiot given bad advice.
Hope your 'shrudge' gets better!
Antioch

Gregg Hill

Jackie,

He is not getting slammed for writing in lower-case, he is getting slammed
for his attitude in general. Look at his response to the suggestion that he
write properly. That is a completely childish response and shows his overall
poor attitude and disrespect for the newsgroups.

Note also his mention that he is doing this "from work and...will get in
serious trouble if found out." Even more evidence of his total lack of
respect for others. His employer is not paying him to play on the Internet.

Gregg Hill

Gregg Hill

People often **thank** people for....

I would guess from the context that the poster meant "thank" in that
sentence.

Gregg Hill

antioch

Pete
You have certainly stood up to a lot of stick tonight.
Being far down on the rung of IT knowledge, you must however appreciate the
position I am put in when I receive advice.
I do not think I have had the pleasure of any from yourself, but I have read
one or two of your responses.
Now, this is meant in the best interests of all, that I would suggest a
slight addition or two to your 'helps'. Some use similar in replies and I
for one do take notice.
Try not to be too dogmatic with the advice - try a preamble like 'you could
try this....'
'As an alternative.....' 'Try this site, you may get the answer here.....'
etc etc.
I think then, nobody could level any form of criticism against you.
Good luck
Antioch

antioch

Nicely put Vanguard
And if he does not take your advice, then let it be on his own head.
I wonder if he has his own computer at home?
As for using work time, he certainly would find it a cause for dismissal
where I work. I had to seek permission to monitor these newsgroups during
my rest periods - posting/replying was denied.
Rgds
Antioch

Antioch

That is NOT what I said and I do not laugh at people. This thread has
invited over 40 grown adults to come in and mostly Grandstand when all they
needed to do was ignore the thread or only answer once.
I have seen some Mature so-called Experts get very short with amateurs
that have come on here looking for a little assistance. They have been
treated rudely and very unprofessional by many of the very same who sit and
judge Pete.
I don't know Pete from Adam and I have offered advice on these boards
and I have recieved advice on these boards. I know of a couple of individuals
who do nothing more than all day long just cut and paste web addresses for
answers and yet they go unscathed. Judge not and ye shall not be judged.
You only need to reach a tenth birthday or so to have the common sense
even if you are totally computer illeterate to know that when you come to
Newsgroups and see masses of people in them and masses of topics that you
will have your EXPERTS but they will probably be camoflage by any and every
Johnny Come Lately.
I just can't beleive that people would actually find the time to write
short stories to Pete and preach to him about this and that and etiquette and
the such and then leave this thread and not practice what they preach.
I have offered help and if I see some bad info, I don't cut the poster
down, I post my insertion and let the initial poster sort it out, what else
can you do? You hope that the person asking the question has at least the
mentality to be able to use some real basic judgement. After all they found
their way onto the Internet and found the newsgroup and were able to sort
thru the tree to the topic that closely matches their needs, that I would
think would show that moisture would collect on glass if held under their
nose. So don't worry so much about the person asking the question, I have
done no less than 100 high level formats and re-installed no less than 6 giga
programs in my learning and if you think for a single second people who post
on these threads are immune from those types of fates, I guess I have fallen
asleep and woke up in some other demension. Shit happens and it eneeds to
happen in order for people to develope and proceed and prosper. It is all
about the learning curve. It does and it will happen. So lighten up and quit
taking newsgroups so serious, if you all want to take it serious, start your
own websites and control who will talk and who will not otherwise just do
your best not to be a dipshit.
you can lead a Bear far easier with Honey than you can with a whip.
There are many ways to correct someone but bashing is not on the list nor
degrading, nor insulting nor being rude or ganging up on someone, I thought I
was on the school playground for awhile, I was reading the first few posts
and thought what the Hell is going on here? It was like someone was trying to
put up a NO TRESPASSING sign.
If Pete bothers you ignore him or try to offer some help, if you really
want to be a helpful person, be helpful to everyone, Lead by example.

antioch

Hi Craig
May I take it that your diatribe was not completely directed at me. If not
then a reply to only my comments may have been more appropriate.
I have intertwined responses.

Craig A. said:
Antioch

That is NOT what I said and I do not laugh at people.

Didnt you say 'let the poster be the judge'
I suggested 'guinea-pig'
Or was it something else you say you 'did not say'?
This thread has invited over 40 grown adults to come in and mostly
Grandstand when >all they needed to do was ignore the thread or only
answer once.

Agree = mea culpa
I have seen some Mature so-called Experts get very short with amateurs
that have come on here looking for a little assistance. They have been
treated rudely and very unprofessional by many of the very same who sit
and
judge Pete

I too have seen such unprofessional behaviour.
I don't know Pete from Adam and I have offered advice on these boards
and I have recieved advice on these boards. I know of a couple of
individuals
who do nothing more than all day long just cut and paste web addresses for
answers and yet they go unscathed. Judge not and ye shall not be judged.

I guess I havnt been around long enough to spot them. They must exist I
suppose.
You only need to reach a tenth birthday or so to have the common sense
even if you are totally computer illeterate to know that when you come to
Newsgroups and see masses of people in them and masses of topics that you
will have your EXPERTS but they will probably be camoflage by any and
every
Johnny Come Lately.

Well I'm passed my tenth, and you do not spot them that quickly. Sorry but
a rather inane comment!
I just can't beleive that people would actually find the time to write
short stories to Pete >and preach to him about this and that and etiquette
and the such and then leave this >thread and not practice what they preach.

You will have to wait and see if they do that - they might - they might not.
I have offered help and if I see some bad info, I don't cut the poster
down, I post my insertion and let the initial poster sort it out, what
else
can you do? You hope that the person asking the question has at least the
mentality to be able to use some real basic judgement.

Like tossing a coin when you get different answers?
After all they found their way onto the Internet and found the newsgroup...

No I was lead here by the nose - Malke lead me and most thankful I was.

..... and were able to sort thru the tree to the topic that closely matches
their needs, that I would think would show that moisture would collect on
glass if held under their nose.

Ooops - lost you there. The sciences have never been my strongest subject.
So don't worry so much about the person asking the question,....

But I am selfish - I do worry if its me asking the question.
I have done no less than 100 high level formats and re-installed no less
than 6 giga
programs in my learning and if you think for a single second people who
post
on these threads are immune from those types of fates, I guess I have
fallen
asleep and woke up in some other demension.

I guess they and me are not immune to the fates etc
Shit happens and it eneeds to happen in order for people to develope and
proceed
and prosper. It is all about the learning curve. It does and it will
happen.

So true - one is supposed to learn by one's mistakes - I thought that was
why people come here - after they have buggered their system to learn - not
be given duff info.
So lighten up and quit taking newsgroups so serious,

I cannot help but take advice seriously. Cant you remember a time when you
knew nothing about computers and their problems? I bet you didnt take it
all in a light hearted way!
,,,,,,if you all want to take it serious, start your own websites and
control who will talk
and who will not otherwise just do your best not to be a dipshit.

The above I assume is directed at others.
you can lead a Bear far easier with Honey than you can with a whip.

Like a horse to water - so true.
There are many ways to correct someone but bashing is not on the list nor
degrading, nor insulting nor being rude or ganging up on someone, I
thought I
was on the school playground for awhile, I was reading the first few posts
and thought what the Hell is going on here? It was like someone was trying
put up a NO TRESPASSING sign.

Yep, so did I - and I am no more proud of myself than you are of yourself
for joining in the virago type discussion. But I dont think poor Pete is
the first????
If Pete bothers you ignore him or try to offer some help, if you really
want to be a helpful person, be helpful to everyone, Lead by example.

No Pete does not bother me despite what has been said about him. You may
agree, it has been rather pathetic.
I have no axe to grind about his grammar, poetry, syntax or rhetoric. I
have offered him help as well. Its in my nature to do so having spent many
years in public service. I know of no other way in life. I must be leading
by example then.
I trust this clarifies my position - well it should a 10 year old, though
sadly not my granddaughter. After reading all this she would say 'Whatever'
Rgds
Antioch
I have forgotten so much of what I never knew!

Talahasee

dear people

i have been posting for a while now and people have thanked me for my
help, but i have now been told to stay away and that i do more harm than
good, i feel this is unjust to say the least, i thought it was a good thing
to try and help people and i dont think that i have put anybodys pc at risk,
as you will see below i have been slated for helping people, please let me
know your feelings on this..

Pete:

Don't worry about it. Give the best advice you can; also
realize several things:
1. Your advice, however good or bad, likely will not be the
only advice posted on the topic.
Some will post better advice,
some may post the SAME advice.
Some will add to your advice.
Some will say, "well, you might think so, but I haven't
found that to be helpful. I'd try THIS instead."
2.Some will ONLY say that you are full of s* and no one
should listen to you.
3. Some will ONLY post that 'Pete's advice sounds like the
way to go.
4. And sometimes you will find that your advice was the ONLY
reply.

Do the best you can. Period.
Try to avoid telling the person "toss the g* d* thing out
the window and buy a REAL PC."
(I have personally been tempted to do that)
Try to avoid saying, "damned if *I* know." I did that ONCE,
and had my head given to me as a belated Christmas present.

Above all, try to develop a thicker skin.

Realize that some ( u no who) seem to live ONLY to put
others down. Give them that tiny pleasure. It is likely the
only thrill they get all year.

And if-- as I have found as a non-tekkie-- that I have NO
CLUE, don't say anything.

I have OPENLY admitted that I am a non-tekkie, but that I
have found that too many problems that people worry about
for DAYS can most easily (and most quickly) be resolved with
a fdisk/format/reinstall.

And then some have argued "you don't need to fdisk first."

What a DUMN, non-productive comment!

I got the fdisking from COMMON SENSE, and then a systems
ENGINEER asked me to justify it-- and agreed.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Talahasee

Malke is one of the best informed on this group, and that is not just for
Windows but in all areas. You were lucky it wasn't one or two other MVPs who
responded (no names no pack-drill!)

He may be well-informed. He could be nicer.

And as I told Pete, in most cases, there will be multiple
read all the posts and printed out the better ones before
they DO ANYTHING.

I have used Malke's advice more than once; and thanked him.
When he stuffed his fist down my throat sideways, he got my
#13 boot up his ass.

Such childish put-downs are unnecessary.

If my less than groveling reply means no further help from
Malke, he could grow up.

Childish verbal abuse calls for a nasty reply.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Talahasee

Bring It ON!!!! try your best and it still wont be good enough!!!!

Pete, stop!

Take two deep breaths!

Relax.

Refocus.

Do you learn to stand up and walk tall from a rock or a
worm?

You do not.

Do not allow the misbehavior of others to control you.

Do the best you can, and to hell with those who want to
throw rocks.

Just settle down!

Think about it! No one in here who you don't allow to "get
to you", can get to you.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Malke is not a he ;-)

#13 boot up his ass.

Such childish put-downs are unnecessary.

If my less than groveling reply means no further help from
Malke, he could grow up.

Childish verbal abuse calls for a nasty reply.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Talahasee

Look, since you quoted me - your first time ever quoting properly, I
might add and you've dropped that good practice in *this* post - I'll
respond.

A. Regarding your posting "style":

This is Usenet and certain conventions have grown up over the years, not
just because of politeness (although that is good) but because Usenet
posts are archived and when you post incorrectly - like not quoting -
you break the thread and make it difficult for others to follow. There
are real, valid reasons for Usenet conventions.

Think of your behavior on Usenet as if you were visiting a foreign
country. You can take the time to learn about that country's customs
and try to respect them, or you can be a total a**h*le and ignore them.
If you choose the latter way, don't expect the natives to be nice to
you.

So, again - here are links to help you learn about Usenet.

I have not read the previous posts on this topic, but I'll
say here and now, THIS was a nice reply!

And if I have heretofore said anything that inflamed or
maligned Malke, let me herewith apologize.

We all have bad days! I've had 'em; I'm sure Malke's had
'em.

I give my best advice, always; I also preface my advice by
pointing out that I've learned what I've learned over 25
years by EXPERIENCE, and that I am NOT technically oriented.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Bruce Chambers

pete said:
dear people

i have been posting for a while now and people have thanked me for my
help, but i have now been told to stay away and that i do more harm than
good, i feel this is unjust to say the least, i thought it was a good thing
to try and help people and i dont think that i have put anybodys pc at risk,
as you will see below i have been slated for helping people, please let me
know your feelings on this..

as posted by Malke

"But you *aren't* helping anyone. You don't quote properly and you give
ridiculous answers that at best are useless and at worst could cause
some real damage to the OP. If you were really a "nice guy" you'd
change your ways or find another venue in which to "help" people."

Malke is one of the most polite, tactful, and technically competent
people posting here. If she's come to that assessment of your posts,
then I can only conclude that you've posted a great deal of extremely
harmful "advice" with great regularity.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

Bruce Chambers

pete said:
Thank you all for your kind words!!!!, two things i would like to add, i am
using a web interface as im doing this from work and i only have this to use
(our it dept is strict) and will get in serious trouble if found out, this is
another reason for me not using lovely writing, i am trying to do it as quick
as possible so i dont get caught, and i cant write that quick so it has to be
like this, i know that i will probably get another telling off for this but
at least someone is on my side, thanks jon ;-)

Admitting that you're stealing from your employer by reading newsgroups
and posting here is no way to endear yourself to anyone. We now know
that you lack integrity, as well as basic English skills and technical
knowledge. This means that nothing you post can be trusted.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

thanks to all those that responded, Yes, i do this at work and i have
explained god knows how may times that i have to write quick as its in work
time, hence the bad grammar etc!!!!

But i work in a telesales office, if the phone doesnt ring then i look at
the posts and respond, if the phone rings then i stop what im doing and
answer it.

I will keep posting away, so all of you with your nose's in the air......See
Ya

P.s I notice that still not one person has given an example of what i said
that could damage OS not even Malke who everybody Keeps Sucking up to, if you
cant give an example then just leave well alone and get on with you own
postings.

Pete

Michael Stevens

In
pete said:
thanks to all those that responded, Yes, i do this at work and i have
explained god knows how may times that i have to write quick as its
in work time, hence the bad grammar etc!!!!

But i work in a telesales office, if the phone doesnt ring then i
look at the posts and respond, if the phone rings then i stop what im
doing and answer it.

I will keep posting away, so all of you with your nose's in the
air......See Ya

P.s I notice that still not one person has given an example of what
i said that could damage OS not even Malke who everybody Keeps
Sucking up to, if you cant give an example then just leave well alone
and get on with you own postings.

Pete

Keep posting away and improve your posting presense. If you think your posts
are helpfull and want to make the best of your information make them user
friendly by using proper posting conventions. Use and post with the best
grammar and punctuation so anyone accessing the newsgroups from any language
using translation conversion will have a better understanding of what your
reply says. Peer support newsgroups are very different from text messanging
to a friend that understands your text messinging shortcuts. You cannot
assume anyone understands your discription described by a single word that
means the same to everyone. Like if I described you as a fun loving person
and someone that enjoys a very gay life, without saying you are a
hetrosexual with a penchant for adventure. Most people would assume you were
"gay" or homosexual, that is why how you post is so important. If you really
want to help; make sure your post is easily understood and always qualify
the post by saying it is tried and tested, or an untried or expermential
solution.
So far, I see your posts as very confusing even when the content is correct
and useful. Why would you want to make it more difficult than you could
make it to understand by ignoring basic punctuation?
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

Jon

pete said:
[...]

She's already stated that she's mistaken you for someone else, which is
probably as close to an apology / exoneration, as you're gonna get.

So it's probably time to move on, shake hands, kiss and make up,
send each other flowers, post each other messages of peace and love, invite
one another round for 'Windows XP' dinners,......

Alternatively call out the zombie armies and let the battles commmence.

Actually, if the phones aren't ringing enough, you could always tell your
boss to consider selling ringside tickets for that. It could well prove to
be a winner :)

Hey, look on the bright side. You've started a thread with, thus far, 54
messages.
So you must have struck a few chords in the hearts of many a poster. Good on
ya.

Jon

LOL ;-0 thanks for that Jon, Like you said enough is enough but i will leave
with just one last parting shot over the bows!!!, a posting from the other
day.....the first line being the reply from the poster to myself, This is
what makes it all worthwile and nobody should forget that.

Thanks - That's brilliant - and so quick a reply
TTFN

pete said:
you are looking in the wrong place,open a windows, then goto tools, folder
options, then view, then look for the option "show hidden files and folders"
there is also another one saying hide operating files, be careful with this
one as you may delete important files here, hope this helps pete ;-)

Once again I have come in here and thought I was on some school Playground.
I can NOT believe that over 50 Full Grown adults who many will never practice
what they preach can come in here and Grandstand and bash, and name call and
what have you.
I have said I have gotten some damn good advice here and I have read some
terrible advice and I have watched many of this so-called EXPERTS do their
Parrot talk whereas all they do is cut and paste and in many cases it is
irrrevelant to the subject.
Yes! let the original poster beware, for Christ's sake they had enough
intelligence to be able to connect to the Internet, find the Newsgroups, and
then find the subject close to their question, I mean at Ten years old people
should have enough common sense to know that if you go to a site where there
are masses of people talking on masses of subjects that the REAL EXPERTS are
probably Camoflage amongst the Grandstanders.
Pete has done NOTHIN that everyone in here isn't guilty of, you all
would like to think you onlygive GOOD advice but for the most part the person
following your info doesn't know any better and either do you. So you
continue tothink you reallyhelped someone. Many of you do and many of you,
day after day give bad advice.
I have High Level Re-formatted my computer no less tha 10 giga times
over the years and I have installed my OS and Software many many giga times
as well and if any of you think that people who come here are totally immune
form it, you are all looney. Shit happens and it will happen and it is all
about learning. People GIVING the advice are learning and the people who are
recieving are learning.
If you all want to pick and choose who can and will give adice, then
start your own boards and select who you want. Otherwise post what you feel
is the proper advice and move on, stop this childish Grandstanding and name
calling.
I have read many messages from many of you self proclaimed EXperts that
have been Rude, false, sarcastic and very unprofessional, so if you all want
to be Professionals, then start by acting the part first, the rest will fall
in place.
57 postings of down grading, name calling, grandstanding, bashing and
what have you does not give a very good image to the new comers. many of you
really try to be correct and threads such as this one is doing everyone a
diservice.
Pete you try to do your best and that is all anyone can ever ask for.
The rest of you, well try LEADING by EXAMPLE.

Good Luck to all and keep these boards Professional. Enough of this
clicking and seperating people from each other. No one knows anyone here
other than from their posts and I could be a very large breasted woman with
Blonde hair and a wart on the end of my nose and you wouldn't know it.