Odd folder in "All Users"

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by George, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. George

    George Guest

    On one PC here, there's an odd folder under "All Users" called DRM, and I
    wondered if another user might recognize this and if it's something
    temporary that could be deleted. It seems like most apps don't put folders
    directrly under "All Users". The folder is at...

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM <----
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites

    Within ...\DRM\... theres a file called "migration.log" that contains:

    DRMMIGRATION: Migration begining.
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\DRM\drmv2.lic
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\DRM\drmv2.sst
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\DRM\drmv2.lic
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening new license store.
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\DRM\drmv2.sst
    DRMMIGRATION: Opening new secure store.
    DRMMIGRATION: Migration ending.

    Thanks

    George, Jan 12, 2005

  2. George

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    Microsofts "Digital Rights Management"?? As part of the controls that will
    be, or that are, implemented so as to safely allow the downloads of legally
    purchased MP3 songs. May be part of Windows Media Player 9/10.

    Yves Leclerc, Jan 12, 2005

  3. George

    TDP Guest

    If it helps I have this folder and I am sure its something to do with the
    licensing of your copy of windows, there are no file extensions ".tmp" so I
    think it would not be wise to delete this folder or its contents "If in
    doubt leave it alone" is my motto!! Hope this helps,TDP.

    TDP, Jan 12, 2005
  4. George

    Bart Marks Guest

    "George" <> wrote in

    > On one PC here, there's an odd folder under "All Users" called DRM,
    > and I wondered if another user might recognize this and if it's
    > something temporary that could be deleted. It seems like most apps
    > don't put folders directrly under "All Users". The folder is at...
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM <----
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites
    >
    > Within ...\DRM\... theres a file called "migration.log" that contains:
    >
    > DRMMIGRATION: Migration begining.
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\DRM\drmv2.lic
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\DRM\drmv2.sst
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\DRM\drmv2.lic
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening new license store.
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening legacy store C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\DRM\drmv2.sst
    > DRMMIGRATION: Opening new secure store.
    > DRMMIGRATION: Migration ending.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello George.

    I'm not connected with Microsoft - only a lurker in some of the relevant
    groups - and an occassional poster if I need assistance with a problem;
    therefore, I'll parse my suggestion in the form of telling you how I handle
    this type of [problem][situation][occurance].

    First, I determine if the incidence is unique to one PC (all mine are XP-
    SP2).

    Then, I pull up the properties, and check the dates against my logs for any
    similarities, bells, flags, or whistles.

    Then, if nothing says "Don't," I navigate to that file/folder, create a
    text file similarily named as the file or folder, but with the txt
    extension, and which includes the date (F5) and the path (copied and pasted
    from the address bar). Then I RAR or ZIP the file or folder, along with
    the text file, then I cut the archived file to an "Isolate" folder on
    [another partition][CD][floppy][ZIP][HDD] and then go back and delete [with
    extreme prejudice] the uninvited visitor(s).

    Sometimes, ole' Madam Windows will just throw a fit, and not allow this to
    happen, or will insist on keeping one of the lesser-included files, or will
    inform me that another process is using one of the files... Well, this
    certainly facilitates my investigations. Sometimes I put 'em all back
    where I found 'em; sometimes I rename the [folder][file][files] and then
    delete them; and sometimes I reboot and then come back after them with an
    obsessed dedication.

    Now, it's just a matter of wait-and-see if some program complains that it
    can't find the archived file/folder. Taa daa! And most times, I kill that
    program too, because I don't want back-doors swinging without my consent!
    But sometimes, I just whisper an apology, and put it all back where I found
    it, because I kinda like that association.

    In any case, I have all XPpro-SP2 boxes and notebooks, and none of them
    have the folder you mention in any of the accounts.

    So, there's my "system" once I've found an intruder.

    Oh, yeah: also, sometimes I may just isolate a filename, or folder name and
    run a registry search (via Start > Run > regedit) on it before I take any
    final action. (I routinely use an old freeware program "RegCleaner v4.3
    build 780" to monitor registry changes, and sometimes it will provide a
    clue as to what is going on with these type of folders and files. Once set
    up on a stable system - and regularly patrolled for changes - it definately
    monitors most critical changes to your registry involving software, both
    the invited kind and the uninvited ones as well. There are many programs
    available which serve this function, some of which are free and quite good.
    Google sees all; Google knows all.)

    Sounds like you may have either bought, or tried-out an on-line media
    store. I removed Windows Media Player 10 in favor of my much preferred
    Wmp9, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, unless you have
    dabbled into the world of Microsoft's ventures with buying, labeling and
    tracking media... "Homey don't play that."

    Anyway, it doesn't seem critical, and if you follow a strategy of being
    able to "put it back like you found it" you have many options available to
    you.

    Best regards.

    Bart Marks, Jan 12, 2005
  5. George

    George Guest

    Thanks, here's more info

    Thank you... great clues, ideas, and suggestions... all of which helped in
    doing some more research, and it looks very likely the DRM folder IS
    connected to Win Media Player. But there's still a mystery...

    There are five files in the DRM folder

    drmstore.hds 1/5/05
    drmv2.lic 7/1/03
    drmv2.sst 7/1/03
    migration.log 1/5/05
    v2ks.bla 1/5/05
    v2ks.sec 1/5/05

    The 7/1/03 date might be irrelevant, but seems like that was about the time
    the PC was bought.

    The 1/5/05 is relevant...a search for all files of this date showed up lots
    of Win Media Player things, and I think I upgraded from WinMP9 to WinMP10
    that day. Thereafter, I worked with some playlists at some point, but
    unsure when.

    None of these files (other than migration.log) shows much intelible text
    when opened in Word, although one shows "Root entry" and another has
    "global.secstate".

    The mystery is...
    Another PC in the office which also has WinMP10 upgrade doesn't have the DRM
    folder at all.

    Anyway, it looks like it won't hurt to leave it in, but out of curosity
    would like to know what it is... I *think* it just arrived recently. And,
    it would be nice to clean out any extraneous stuff if it's just leftovers.

    Thanks for any additional ideas, etc.

    Regards

    George, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Re: Thanks, here's more info

    Digital Rights Management Version2, the drmv2.sst file is Microsoft Serialized Certificate Store, the drmv2.lic is a license file. Here is a link to information about it: http://modular.fas.harvard.edu/edu/Fall2001/124/ecc/ms-drm.htm. Leave the file alone.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff

    =?iso-8859-1?B?uyBtcnRlZSCr?=, Jan 13, 2005
  7. Re: Thanks, here's more info

    Also open "help & support" type "drmv2" read the KB article.

    =?iso-8859-1?B?uyBtcnRlZSCr?=, Jan 13, 2005