Folder Path limited to 99 chars?

Terry Pinnell

I have a folder open called
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects\Collage
(and that is shown in the Address box)

But all that shows in the title is
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects

which is 99 characters.

Is this some limit I wasn't aware of until now?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Terry Pinnell said:
I have a folder open called
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects\Collage
(and that is shown in the Address box)

But all that shows in the title is
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects

which is 99 characters.

Is this some limit I wasn't aware of until now?

The limit is 260 characters, not 99. Your "VideoEffects" folder is probably
hidden. You can easily confirm this by creating a few test folders under the
Collage folder.

Terry Pinnell

why? said:
x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

I have a folder open called
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects\Collage
(and that is shown in the Address box)

What address box, Some version of windows explorer?
But all that shows in the title is

What title (bar), same Windows explorer? MSIE does the same chop in the
title bar. Maybe it's IE taking over non IE settings :)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects

which is 99 characters.

Get 96 cutoff for a 127 path, 95 for 128.
Is this some limit I wasn't aware of until now?

Yes, for Win Explorer.

Depends, there will be a hard limit on what fits, then only you know
your screen width, if explorer is maximised and what your selected fonts
settings are. [using Large Fonts, Tahoma 12 on 1280 x 1024, you can
change your fonts to see if it's different.]

You could have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com , you may well find
the settings for Window controls.

Me

Sorry, should have specified I'm using Windows XP Pro. And with a wide
screen (1920 x 1200) every Windows Explorer (or in my case, My
Computer) folder has lots of free space in the title bar.

BTW, it's odd, I cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
too, but can see neither that nor your reply in that group (using
Agent).

kthomsen1

I also have a problem with the Folder Path Limits, although I think it is
200+, and not a viewing problem, but that Windows Explorer has limits.

I end up adding a lot of searchable information into Folder Names for easy
Referencing (Jobs Histories / Information) going back 10-20 years.
And my Folder names just get too long and cumbersome.

There needs to be an improvement for searching. Personally I think a
merging of a database structure within Windows Explorer would help a lot.
(or adding Searchable Tags that are tied to a Folder, even a Text PopUp
Window when you hold your mouse over a Folder Name that you could type
information into which would be Searchable from an Explorer Search)
But Something is needed.
-- I know I can search for words inside the files in Folders, but that just
isn't realistic when dealing with so many files.

One of the Folders I am dealing with on the Company Network is __GB and has
750+ Folders with SubFolders in it.
I started a Properties on this Folder, and it is currently at
50GB / 120,000Files / 25,000Folders.... I don't want to leave it running for
an hour but anyway it is a lot of files.

Anybody know something that makes working with so many files easier?
I have been hoping Microsoft would throw in a new feature to handle growing
Demands. I haven't gone to vista yet, but haven't heard of an advancement
either.

Terry Pinnell

why? said:
x-post trimmed to 24hshd

You did, what's to say I did? Agent spots x-posts and tells me how many
groups, and a choice post to all or post to current.

I don't read wxp.gen so no point posting there :)

From my post headers,

From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Folder Path limited to 99 chars?

It appears to be there in this view,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/search?q=folder+path

See the top of the post , comment is -

x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

Me

Odd, I can't find the microsoft.public.windowsxp.general at all in
Agent.

Here's my reply to Pegasus, who had replied in that group to the
effect that the limit was 266, not 99:

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Terry Pinnell said:
Odd, I can't find the microsoft.public.windowsxp.general at all in
Agent.

Here's my reply to Pegasus, who had replied in that group to the
effect that the limit was 266, not 99:

---------
No hidden folders and length is plainly 99 as you see from this
example:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/terrypin999/FolderTitleSize-1.jpg

There seems to be a considerable degree of confusion about numbers in this
post. In your first post you mentioned a limit of 99 characters, yet the
picture you posted shows a path of 127 characters. In my reply I stated that
the maximum was 260 characters, which you swiftly transformed to 266
characters.

Anyway, the picture you posted tells us next to nothing. In particular it
contains no error message of any kind. Try this to bring some clarity into
this confusing issue by doing this:
- Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
- Type these commands:
dir /s /b "%AllUsersProfile%" 1>c:\test.txt 2>&1{Enter}
notepad c:\test.txt{Enter}
- Trim the rubbish you see on the screen and paste
the rest into your reply.

Terry Pinnell

Pegasus \(MVP\) said:
There seems to be a considerable degree of confusion about numbers in this
post.

Really? Apart from a couple of typos (266 not 260, and 94 not 99),
what has confused you?
In your first post you mentioned a limit of 99 characters,

in the TITLE.

"But all that shows in the title is
^^^^^
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS\VideoEffects
which is 99 characters."

(A recount shows the string to be even shorter, at 94 characters.)
yet the picture you posted shows a path of 127 characters.

in the PATH. Correctly shown in the ADDRESS box. Which is why I
included it in the screenshot.

So it's plain that you didn't read my original post properly.
In my reply I stated that
the maximum was 260 characters, which you swiftly transformed to 266
characters.

'Swiftly transformed' = typed 266 by mistake.
Anyway, the picture you posted tells us next to nothing.

Really? I think it clearly illustrates what I described. Namely a
TITLE that had truncated what should be a full path of 127 to 94
characters
In particular it contains no error message of any kind.

Why should it contain any error message?
Try this to bring some clarity into
this confusing issue by doing this:
- Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
- Type these commands:
dir /s /b "%AllUsersProfile%" 1>c:\test.txt 2>&1{Enter}
notepad c:\test.txt{Enter}
- Trim the rubbish you see on the screen and paste
the rest into your reply.

.... which would simply list the PATHS of my folders, many of them very
long. Nothing to do with the TITLES! Instead try this:
- re-reading the thread!

Monitor

While Pegasus obviously misunderstood the nature of your query, lecturing
him on his mistake is unlikely to get you much further. A reply such as "I
think you misunderstood the nature of my question" might encourage him to
spend a bit more time in helping you resolve this puzzling issue. I tested
your claim on my own machine but was unable to reproduce the phenomenon, so
it must be caused by something strange on your PC.