O2 Broadband

Reaction score
Okay as an update to the issue. BT have now said that they are capping my speeds to 14mb as they belive that speeds they are providing are to much for my line. This is something I inquired about right at the start of the problem they assured me that there was no need for this at all but have now decided to do this and have asked me to monitor this over the net 24hours.

Am I correct in thinking if I decide to move ISP's then the cap stays on the line?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol worthy reply from BT there.... The line should and can support up to 24mb's, Unless there is a fault on the line or with the equipment. its basically that simple.

I'd be wanting to know a lot more info and how they have come to that conclusion.

I assume the cap is BT capping you, so no the cap wouldn't affect another ISP I'd expect.

Out of interest, Did the BT engineers use the 'BT Hawk' (Blue box with an LCD Screen) on your line? They seem reluctant to use it, yet its often the quickest and easiest way to diagnose a fault. If its on the line that is.

Reaction score
V_R said:
lol worthy reply from BT there.... The line should and can support up to 24mb's, Unless there is a fault on the line or with the equipment. its basically that simple.

I'd be wanting to know a lot more info and how they have come to that conclusion.

I assume the cap is BT capping you, so no the cap wouldn't affect another ISP I'd expect.

Out of interest, Did the BT engineers use the 'BT Hawk' (Blue box with an LCD Screen) on your line? They seem reluctant to use it, yet its often the quickest and easiest way to diagnose a fault. If its on the line that is.

Hi V_R

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I think each engineer that came out used it and said the line was fine. And were not sure what the issue is.

BT have said that if this does not fix the issue then they will look at the Lift and Shift again.

I have also requested all my account notes from BT as there seems to be confusions over what was said on the phone regarding the issue and what the notes say. BT have responded saying they want me to pay £10 for them.

Here is a new line stat

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 04:04:11
Downstream 14,336 Kbps
Upstream 888 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.3 dB / 13.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.3 dB / 10.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 28.7 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 186 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 66 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 386 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 50 / 0

Am I correct in thinking that faulty equipment in the exchange could be causing the errors showing on the connection? BT have said that it all looks ok at the exchange. Also am I correct in thinking that there are different line cards / ports for different speeds?

Speed test just performed below.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12946 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14335 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 12000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.47:23.52:58.01 (SBE:NBE:pBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just to update this thread.

I've now requested my MAC code from BT which they have refused to provide it and said that they are busy at the moment with other cases and said that I need to call back tomorrow and they will issue it then.

I have given them almost 3months now to resolve this issue and to date they have not. So I am likely to be going with o2 going by the positive reviews on this forum. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Just to update this thread.

I've now requested my MAC code from BT which they have refused to provide it and said that they are busy at the moment with other cases and said that I need to call back tomorrow and they will issue it then.

That to me speaks volumes about BT's attitude. I've hated BT for quite some time now for many reasons. Yes, I know hate isn't a good emotion to harbour but that's honestly how I feel.

Any firm that won't release a MAC number willingly has issues. I had the same experience with Orange, the mobile phone network some time ago.

Somebody from BT phoned me up today, trying to sell me something. I told him to go forth and multiply and hung up. Oh, I'm bad, very bad :D

Good luck Wiz...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah crap i forgot about his thread, soz Wizz.

Cant believe they said that, it takes like 10 seconds to issuea MAC code..... :rolleyes:

By law they have 5 days max to give it you BTW, andyou have 30 days to use it, just dont cancel your old service. ;)

Regarding your earlier post, You will always see errors on the line, no matter what, and just FYI FEC ( Forward Error Correction) errors are only seen on an interleaved line. High numbers are not uncommon. Yous is quite low, probs due to the sigh SNR.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies V_R and Flops.

BT called this morning with my MAC code. I have now gone and ordered the O2 Premium Broadband service which is £10 a month and works out £10 cheaper than BT.

How long did it take for people on here to get connected to O2 broadband O2 are quoting 2weeks?

Ask a Question