Notepad

Larry Waibel

I want to get a basic text editor onto my target such as Notepad. When I
search for Notepad.exe it's only in the Windows Accessories. Bringing that
in brings in another 30MB, including Wordpad, Paint, and all sorts of junk.
Is there a way to just get the notepad primitive into my configuration? Or
is there another editor that might work? Thanks!

Lasse

Larry said:
I want to get a basic text editor onto my target such as Notepad. When I
search for Notepad.exe it's only in the Windows Accessories. Bringing that
in brings in another 30MB, including Wordpad, Paint, and all sorts of junk.
Is there a way to just get the notepad primitive into my configuration? Or
is there another editor that might work? Thanks!
I have a .bat file that I run after TD build.
It copies things like Notepad, TaskManager, Ping to the built image.
It also deletes files I don't want.
I find this a little bit easier to use and to document, than creating
components and clicking around in TD.
Why is everybody creating components when a simple .bat file can do the job.
Lasse

Larry Waibel

In this case, that'll probably work but I'd still like to see a component without
having to make my own. I'll feature request it.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Lasse,

Because you need to remember to start bat files for different projects, and it might happen that you are distracted and in hurry to
forget to do that and then you can loose hours figuring out why something do not work when it worked few moments ago.

Regards,
Slobodan

Larry Waibel

Here's the response I got:

Hi Larry. I am a Software Test Engineer with the Windows Embedded Team, and I received
a copy of your recent message regarding getting Notepad into your runtime without
bringing in the entire Windows Accessories component. An alternative to using the
Windows Accessories component would be to simply copy Notepad.exe into your runtime
image after you build it – you can use notepad.exe from your development environment (it
is located in the Windows folder).

You can also create a custom component that includes just the Notepad component. This
would also be a good way to account for all of Notepad’s dependencies. However, we do
not have any plans at this time to separate Notepad from the Windows Accessories
component.

Thank you for contacting us about this issue. =)

-- Matt Kellner

Windows Embedded Team

KM

And creating component on the files from XPe standard repository is even easier as it will not require any Repository to follow the
component's SLD.

Sometimes it may be a good idea just to have a set of primitive components in one SLD (the components that just bring files from XPE
standard Repository) along with one macro component with all other components from SLD listed as dependencies. If you set "Selector
Prototype Component" in the macro component's prototype field, it is going to be very easy to add/remove things like Notepad.exe in
any project through the macro component Setting.

(I guess such simple component could be created and added to XPe db by Microsoft)

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Konstantin,

This would be nice to have.

Regards,
Slobodan
PS: But my guess is that this is too simple option for MS to allocate time on making it happen.

IgorN

Larry,
I want to get a basic text editor onto my target such as Notepad. When I
search for Notepad.exe it's only in the Windows Accessories. Bringing that
in brings in another 30MB, including Wordpad, Paint, and all sorts of junk.
Is there a way to just get the notepad primitive into my configuration? Or
is there another editor that might work? Thanks!

I have just added 'Windows accessories' component to my project, opened
'Files' section and disabled the files I don't want.
Don't you think it will work? I haven't tested it yet, but I think it
should.

Igor

Larry Waibel

That might work; let me know if it does!

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:01:06 +0500
From: IgorN <IgorN@>
Subject: Re: Notepad
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

I have just added 'Windows accessories' component to my project, opened
'Files' section and disabled the files I don't want.
Don't you think it will work? I haven't tested it yet, but I think it
should.

Igor

Gary G. Little

You may not want to do this, but Superpad is an example that has better
editing than Notepad. Visual Studio provides the source and solution files
to build and install it.

KM

Larry, Igor,

Why wouldn't the disabling resources work?
Disabling file/registry/PnP resources is a very good known approach on XPe (search NG).

However, please keep in mind that you can not (*easy*) disable component dependencies. The Dependency Checker will always throw
errors (tasks) for you if you didn't bring all the dependencies of the included component.
Obviously, Windows Accessories component has much more dependencies that it is required for just Notepad. This is why creating a
separate component just for the Notepad is still better idea.

Larry Waibel

Thanks for the reply. For right now I can edit across the network to the
target or I can just copy notepad.exe over and use it. If I find it needs to
be there on the final system configuration, I'll just make our own component
for it.

IgorN

Konstantin,
Larry, Igor,

Why wouldn't the disabling resources work?
Disabling file/registry/PnP resources is a very good known approach on XPe (search NG).

However, please keep in mind that you can not (*easy*) disable component dependencies. The Dependency Checker will always throw
errors (tasks) for you if you didn't bring all the dependencies of the included component.
Obviously, Windows Accessories component has much more dependencies that it is required for just Notepad. This is why creating a
separate component just for the Notepad is still better idea.

You are damn right :) auto-dependency resolve brough up a whole bunch of
components, including all of the IE stuff.
So you can imagine what impact on the footprint it gave :)

Igor