I did an upgrade from win me to win xp . rather than a complete
reformat. now I got problems...
I may have to start all over again and do a clean reformat. has anyone
out there done this...

my nor ton system works software is not compatible with the new Win
XP that I upgraded to.
I need to un instal Norton system works completely but win xp seems
to have deleted my uninstall file for norton, and the change/remove
feature on win xp will not delete the files..

also my Norton anti virus program is not compatable... got to buy a
new one now along with some other software I had on Win me...
jj

S

Steve Shattuck

my norton systemworks software is not compatible with the new Win
XP that I upgraded to.

The first thing you want to do is make sure that is true. What version of
SystemWorks are you using? Norton SystemWorks, since version 2000 has had a
seperate compatible version on the install CD, that does work well with XP.

XP didn't do that, some user did. Go to Symantec's web site and get
SYSCLEAN and run it. Then delete all folders for Norton.

Again, since NAV is included in SystemWorks, make sure that you need to buy
a new version, and if you do, I recommend getting a previous XP-compatible
version of SystemWorks on eBay rather than the current version which
includes activation, ala XP, that's a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

T

t.cruise

Many people who should, don't use the Upgrade Advisor on the Windows XP Upgrade CD. Had
you done that, you would not have this problem. It seems at this point the best thing to
do would be to do a clean install of the Windows XP Upgrade. Boot your system with the
Upgrade CD in your drive (making sure that you've gone into your System Setup (BIOS) and
changing the first boot device/drive to the CD ROM drive, saving changes and exit). When
you boot with the Upgrade CD opt for a New Install. (you will lose all data on your
drive, so if you can, save what you want to removable media) You might be asked for proof
of upgrade eligibility. If that happens, swap your old Windows 98 CD and give the path in
the dialog box. After that CD has been scanned, and you're okayed for upgrade, swap back
the Windows XP CD and continue with the setup. Do not configure activate or go on the
internet until you set up your connection and enable the native Windows XP firewall,
especially if you have a DSL or Cable modem connection.

You will probably have to download and install Windows XP compatible drivers for your
display adapter and sound card, and perhaps some other hardware/peripherals. If you
purchased a brand named system, they will be available at the web site of the PC maker.
Otherwise go to the web site of the maker of the specific hardware (e.g. if it's a Sound
Blaster Live card, you'd go to their web site). If you can't use your version of Norton,
and can't afford to purchase other antivirus software, go to:

http://www.grisoft.com

and download and install the FREE version of AVG Antivirus. I've used it for a couple of
years and haven't had any problems. You might also want to go to:

http://www.zonelabs.com

and download and install the FREE version of the Zone Alarm firewall (not the TRIAL
VERSION, the FREE version).

OR, you could ignore the above, go to the Symantec site, and see if there's an uninstall
cleanup utility for your Norton product, assuming that there's nothing else wrong with
your system.

Personally I recommend Clean Install upgrades of operating systems. There's less of a
chance of problems down the road. Since you didn't use the Upgrade Advisor, there might
be more wrong with your system than you know.

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

As you upgraded, did you select the option to backup the existing system? If
so, then the option to uninstall WindowsXP should exist in the Control
Panel/Add & Remove. Do this, then uninstall the Norton software (and
anything else that is incompatible) before you upgrade again.

Instead of wasting more money on Norton, try AVG (free for personal use from
www.grisoft.com)

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

T

t.cruise

Now if only more people knew that, and also knew that one of the ways that Symantec/Norton
beta tests its software is by releasing it too soon, and then dealing with the bugs that
end users find. Also, if they knew how much trash Norton leaves when it's uninstalled,
they would use FREE (which does NOT mean less effective) antivirus programs and FREE
firewalls. I've been using the FREE version of AVG Antivirus and the FREE version of the
Zone Alarm firewall ever since I first got Windows XP, and have never had a problem.

The two things the that first turned me off to Symantec/Norton were:

1. The first Norton news groups were abruptly discontinued after Symantec bought Norton.
Symantec/Norton tech support was bad, and I used to get my Norton fixes from those groups,
the same way I get my XP fixes here. BTW, the end uses who frequented those news groups
begged Symantec not to discontinue them. Symantec gave the news groups a short reprieve,
and then discontinued them anyway.

2. When Symantec bought Norton and decided to be the first antivirus program to charge a
subscription fee, for the now inferior bloated newer versions. The original Norton
Antivirus wasn't a system resource hog. It did one thing, and did it well, without
useless plug-ins, or an unnecessary resource hogging GUI. An Office plug-in is not needed
when you have auto-protect enabled. Plus, the Office plug-in caused many problems for
many people when it was introduced. I realize it was a ploy to get novices to buy the
newer versions, by duping them into thinking that they needed the newer features. I guess
Mr. Norton took pride in offering a good, simple, product for a reasonable price. When
Symantec bought it, the product changed (and not for the good). Aggressive marketing for
upgrading to a newer version with more bloated features started, and buggy releases with
unclean uninstalls went hand in hand with inferior tech support.

Someone posted here in 2003 that they were having a problem with Norton Internet Security
2004. The response was: (paraphrased) Not only is it a mistake to purchase a
Symantec/Norton product that's dated a year in advance, it's also a mistake to buy any
Symantec/Norton product until it's been selling retail for at least 6 months. By that
time, the end users can find the bugs, and Symantec will by then have addressed them,
hopefully.

Ok, sorry for the Norton/'Symantec rant. It's just that too many of my clients have been
burned by Norton/Symantec problems during the past few years.

Anyway, I recommend the FREE versions of AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall. That
advice should cut down on the number flames that I'll get for my Symantec/Norton rant.

P

Plato

t.cruise said:
Ok, sorry for the Norton/'Symantec rant. It's just that too many of my clients have
been burned by Norton/Symantec problems during the past few years.

Good info

A

Alex Nichol

J. said:
my nor ton system works software is not compatible with the new Win
XP that I upgraded to.

You *ought* to have checked advice first, which would have pointed out
that you *must* uninstall these things first. You might get the
uninstall back by doing an uninstall of Windows back to ME, but I
understand there are directions for a manual uninstall of Norton on the
Symantec site.

And you can get an AV that is every bit as effective and much less
intrusive for free at www.grisoft.com; or an excellent one on a years
free trial followed by a much smaller subscription. For that one see
www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

Ask a Question