Non-responsive Internet Explorer 6.0

Greetings

New to forums. I am not sure if this problem has already been discussed. I
didn't find it on the first 5 pages. If so, I apologize for the rehash.
Please don't flame me too badly.

The problem is with IE 6.0. I need help on this one, for I can't figure it
out myself. Here is the problem in a nut shell ....

My friend is having a problem with her computer where she works. She is
running Windows XP Pro. She has been having problems getting on the net using
IExplorer 6.0 which is the only browser they use where she works. When she
clicks the icon on the toolbar tray or the desktop icon, nothing happens. The
curser shows an hour glass next to it for a few seconds and then it
disappears. But no window opens up. When the task manager is brought up, it
shows iexporer.exe in the "processes" window, but not in the "programs
running" window. when clicked again, the same thing happens. It shows in the
"processes," but not "programs running" windows. Now, every once in awhile
after clicking the icons several times, an IE window will open up and we are
able to get online. And then surfing is easy through that window. No delays
at all. Also, through her "Outlook" box, she is able to send and receive her
emails. So connection is not a problem. I also pinged the NIC card and it is
working fine. She did have a virus "imgurla.exe" that Norton 2005
quarantined. But nothing else unusual. I tried reinstalling IE from the XP
Pro disc, but that doesn't seem to help the situation either.

I have no idea what to try and I have read a few threads but nothing that
exactly pertains to this type of problem. I have read threads about changing
the registry keys, and I am not looking forward to that until I have a sure
fire plan to correct the problem. That is why I am asking in here how to
resolve the problem. Any help would be very appreciated. A link to fix it, or
if anyone knows how, would be fantastic

Thanks

Jan Il

Hi Bulvie :)

Your desktop Icon may have become corrupted. Try the following and see if
it helps. If the new Icon opens IE, then delete the original one on your
desktop. If not, then you may have other issues.

Go to Windows Explorer>Program Files>Internet Explorer
Scroll down to IEXPLORE.EXE
Double click it and see if IE opens without problems
If so, then highlight the file and then click the right mouse button
Select Send To and select Desktop (create shortcut) from the list
Then click the new Icon and see if this will open the IE
If it does, then delete the old one.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

"Bulvie - the viking" <Bulvie - the viking @discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
[...]

iexplorer.exe is malware. The real Microsoft executable is iexplore.exe
First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack and you may
not be able to connect to the Internet. Before you try to remove spyware,
download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2
stacks (all Windows versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Jan and Frank.

Jan - I tried that and it didn't work. Thanks but I think you're right, it's
a bigger issue. If you have any other suggestions, I welcome them. I tried to
delete iexplore.exe from the folder, but everytime I did and clicked refresh
it would reappear.

Frank - it was my fault it actually is iexplore.exe and not
"iexplore(r).exe". Sorry for that. What I find odd is, there are four other
computers in my friends office and when I hit task manager, IE comes up in
all capitals "IEXPLORE.EXE" but on my friend's computer, it's all in lower
case lettering. "iexplore.exe" I find that odd.

Should I delete the entire Inernet Explorer folder, which holds IEXPLORE.EXE
and reinstall it from the XP Pro disc?

Thanks Jan and Frank

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Bulvie - the viking said:
Hi Jan and Frank.

Jan - I tried that and it didn't work. Thanks but I think you're
right, it's a bigger issue. If you have any other suggestions, I
welcome them. I tried to delete iexplore.exe from the folder, but
everytime I did and clicked refresh it would reappear.

Frank - it was my fault it actually is iexplore.exe and not
"iexplore(r).exe". Sorry for that. What I find odd is, there are four
other computers in my friends office and when I hit task manager, IE
comes up in all capitals "IEXPLORE.EXE" but on my friend's computer,
it's all in lower case lettering. "iexplore.exe" I find that odd.

Should I delete the entire Inernet Explorer folder, which holds
IEXPLORE.EXE and reinstall it from the XP Pro disc?

Thanks Jan and Frank

It still may be spyware. Did you try the rest of my post?
Also, From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Frank and Jan. I just wanted to post a message thanking you both for your
help. It turned out to be spyware ... very bad spyware on my friend's system.
I downloaded Microsoft's Anti Spyware (Beta) and that fixed the problem. It
detected 7 Trojan bots with "severe" threat levels. After Anti Spyware
finished, she was able to get online and hasn't had problems since. Thanks!!!