No system sounds

G

All help appreciated: I have no system sounds using XP.

All sounds work thru Media Player and external speakers when selected.
No volume control on tray, select or deselect in control panel makes no difference.
No device conflicts apparent in Hardware.
Sound related tweaks at www.kellys-corner run. No help.
Intel MB update, "Integrated audio driver for Intel desktop boards", installed. No help.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

G

I don't know what kind of sound hardware you are using but when I reinstalled windows I had to reinstall the drivers for my soundcard before it would work and since you have already tried that I would recomend that you would try to find a driver made specificaly for your soundcard, but if worst comes to worst I would recomend that you (if you are using XP) would put the windows Cd in the drive select reinstall windows - select from the drop down list complete instalation and click next- if your version is like mine it should then reboot and ask you if you are sure you want to do this or if you would rather attempt to repair windows select the later option and after it is done repairing it should start up normaly with no files lost.

G

Thanks for your reply. I'm concerned that XP won't ask for confirmation and just proceed with the reinstall. Need to do some backing up.

G

-----Original Message-----
All help appreciated: I have no system sounds using XP.

All sounds work thru Media Player and external speakers when selected.
No volume control on tray, select or deselect in control panel makes no difference.
No device conflicts apparent in Hardware.
Sound related tweaks at www.kellys-corner run. No help.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Same problem. using Sound Blaster live! 5.1

G

After a week of struggling with this (knowing there was no problem with my sound card or drivers) I finally figured out with a hint from another user that it was indeed my Windows Profile was corrupt in some way. I created a new profile and all of my sounds work fine when I log in with that profile. So I had to transfer my desktop Icons and favorites over to that new profile and re-configure most of my microsoft programs and then everything is fine. Thinking my profile was corrupt was about the last thing that I would have thought of.

H

Haggis

thanks for posting back

It's the profile said:
After a week of struggling with this (knowing there was no problem with my
sound card or drivers) I finally figured out with a hint from another user
that it was indeed my Windows Profile was corrupt in some way. I created a
new profile and all of my sounds work fine when I log in with that profile.
So I had to transfer my desktop Icons and favorites over to that new profile
and re-configure most of my microsoft programs and then everything is fine.
Thinking my profile was corrupt was about the last thing that I would have
thought of.

Ask a Question