No Such INterface Supported

Mark McCasland

I can't believe Outlook has not improved in this respect. I have uninstalled
Office 2000, did some cleanup [eveidently not enough], cleaned the registry
[also apparently not enough], and Outlook still sucks. I have finally got
OUtlook to recognize an address book, but when I select an address for the
"TO" textbox, then click the OK button, I get an error that says "No Such
Interface Supported" with a title of "Microsoft Office Word" and the address
I selected is not inserted in the "TO" of the message. This is beyond crazy,
and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark McCasland

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I can't make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.

Mark McCasland

This is a "fresh" install of Outlook 2003 [Office 2003]. I uninstalled
Office 2002, cleaned out the registry, all folders and files in Local
Settings, App Files, etc. Running fully patched Win2k Pro. My goal was to
have a non-polluted installation of Outlook with no accounts, address books,
messages, and any and all other files/settings. THe previous install was
Outlook 2002 [Office 2002]

All I am doing is clicking on the Contacts in Outlook and adding 1 contact
record. I then click the Mail item, click new for a new message. Click the
"TO" button, select the contact so it shows in the "TO" textbox of the
dialogue box. When I click OK, I get the error message, "No Such Interface
Supported".

I did a full install of Office 2003 from my set MSDN DVDs.

Russ Valentine said:
We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I can't make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark McCasland said:
I can't believe Outlook has not improved in this respect. I have uninstalled
Office 2000, did some cleanup [eveidently not enough], cleaned the registry
[also apparently not enough], and Outlook still sucks. I have finally got
OUtlook to recognize an address book, but when I select an address for the
"TO" textbox, then click the OK button, I get an error that says "No Such
Interface Supported" with a title of "Microsoft Office Word" and the address
I selected is not inserted in the "TO" of the message. This is beyond crazy,
and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark McCasland

Mark McCasland

FWIW, fixing this problem will be a moot point since when I click the
Send/Receive button or send a message, I get the error "The operation
failed. An
object can not be found." I have uninstalled and cleaned twice now, and all
these still fail.

Russ Valentine said:
We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I can't make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark McCasland said:
I can't believe Outlook has not improved in this respect. I have uninstalled
Office 2000, did some cleanup [eveidently not enough], cleaned the registry
[also apparently not enough], and Outlook still sucks. I have finally got
OUtlook to recognize an address book, but when I select an address for the
"TO" textbox, then click the OK button, I get an error that says "No Such
Interface Supported" with a title of "Microsoft Office Word" and the address
I selected is not inserted in the "TO" of the message. This is beyond crazy,
and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark McCasland

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

In your first post you said you uninstalled Office 2000. In your second you
said Office XP.
Which is it?
How did you migrate your Outlook Data?
How did you recreate your mail accounts and what type of accounts are they?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine said:
We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I can't make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark McCasland said:
I can't believe Outlook has not improved in this respect. I have uninstalled
Office 2000, did some cleanup [eveidently not enough], cleaned the registry
[also apparently not enough], and Outlook still sucks. I have finally got
OUtlook to recognize an address book, but when I select an address for the
"TO" textbox, then click the OK button, I get an error that says "No Such
Interface Supported" with a title of "Microsoft Office Word" and the address
I selected is not inserted in the "TO" of the message. This is beyond crazy,
and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark McCasland

Mark McCasland

Office XP. I exported all my data because I wanted to start with a fresh
install of Offices, especialy Outlook because it was giving me such
problems. Once I installed Office XP, I deleted all Office and Outlook
folders from Program Files and Local Settings. I also deleted Office and
Outlook registry keys, and ran a registry cleanup utility to remove invalid
registry entries. In short, my goal was to have ZERO lingering info anywhere
regarding the previous Office installations, data, and settings. I would
deal with importing my contacts and messages once 2003 was installed and
running properly. So much for that idea.

Russ Valentine said:
We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I can't make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mark McCasland" <mmccaslaATairmailDOTnet> wrote in message
[...]

Well I've never seen this problem reported so far with upgrades from Office
XP, but then I've never seen anyone attempt a "clean" install the way you
did. That was really only necessary with Office 2000 (which did have an
eraser utility so that one could actually approximate a clean install). We
all know there are no such things as clean installs with Office. The only
supported upgrade scenario from Office XP I've seen is an in place upgrade.
The only problems I've seen with in place upgrades from Office XP have been
solved by creating a new profile. Your installation appears far too corrupt
for that. If your previous installation was giving you trouble, it is likely
you've simply compounded them now.

Have you tried running Detect and Repair from Office 2003?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark McCasland said:
FWIW, fixing this problem will be a moot point since when I click the
Send/Receive button or send a message, I get the error "The operation
failed. An
object can not be found." I have uninstalled and cleaned twice now,
and
all
these still fail.

We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information. I
can't
make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide a more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
[...]

Just did. Same results. This should not have been considered an upgrade. I
have MSDN Universal and am installing it from one of the DVDs. I guess I
could uninstall again, re-install Office XP and work from there. < sigh >

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
[...]

Uninstalled everything. Installed Office 2000. Brought up Outlook, it
configured properly, I added my accounts and contacts, all works perfectly,
I am able to select contacts for emails, and send/receive.

I install Office 2003 - complete install - which first uninstalled 2000 for
me. Fire up Outlook, at least the Send/Receive now works. However, I still
get the No Such Interface Supported error with "Microsoft Word" in the title
bar when trying to select a contact in a new e-mail message.

FWIW, when Outlook 2003 first fired up this time, it wanted information on
some LDAP Server. All this is is a laptop for gosh sakes. I canceled that,
then went into Tools, E-Mail Accounts, and deleted that from my Addresss
Book list. All that is left is the Outlook Address Book [MAPI].

OS: Win 2KPro, SP4
Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop, 512MB RAM

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that error
message.
--
[...]

Remove the Outlook Address Book from your profile. Restart Outlook. Add it
back and make sure it points correctly to your default Contacts Folder.
Restart Outlook again.
Also make sure that Outlook is designated as your default Mail program.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark McCasland said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that
error
message.
--
[...]

I think I have found part of the problem. It seems that if I designate Word
as my e-mail editor, I get this error. If I change it to the Outlook editor,
all works as expected. However, I have ALWAYS installed the same version of
Word along with Outlook and all the other Office apps. The way I caught this
was clicking the Message to Contact button when adding an entry in my
address book.

I have removed and readded address books add nauseum, rebooted PC, deleted,
exited, relaunched added back, exited, relaunched, etc., etc. I have at
least narrowed down the cause, but the reason makes no sense. Thanks for
hanging with me.

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that
error
message.
--
[...]

This is absolute insanity. I imported my contacts list, and I now get Object
Can Not be Found when I click the Send/Receive button. Good bye Office 2003,
you piece of crap.

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that
error
message.
--
[...]

Sorry I couldn't help, but this is too large a snarl to untangle from a
distance. I doubt the problem is actually with Office 2003. In my
experience, if the previous version of Office was experiencing a problem,
upgrading to the next version only compounds the problem to the point it
becomes unsolvable, as you have unfortunately now confirmed.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark McCasland said:
[...]

Provide
more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce that
error
message.
--
[...]

Outlook is just wound too tight with the OS, the registry, Word, the Address
book, etc. Too paraphrase, Balmer -- Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Mark McCasland said:
[...]

List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce
that
error
message.
--
[...]

Couldn't agree more. It has gotten to the point that I will not even install
a new Office version until I have a clean platform. Not practical for the
real world, of course, but it sure keeps me out of trouble.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Mark McCasland said:
[...]

settings.
[...]

message
We'll be happy to help if you could provide some information.
can't
make
heads or tails out of your post, what you did or why. Provide
more
accurate version and mail support mode.
List the steps you used precisely and the steps that produce
that