No sound

Reaction score
Alright, so this is a big, long and involved story. Which is going to probally end up in me needing to reformat.

I couldn't play a game because it has a anithacking sheild on. But I didn't have anything running so I restarted with a Diagnostic start up. Then everything went haywire. My internet no longer worked. Nothing. So....I reinstalled windows. Not reformatted and reinstalled. Just reinstalled to replace the old windows files.

Now everything is working but my sound. I can get on the game...but I have no sound.

I have checked all over the internet for a response, everyone's usual respones that I've seen is "reinstall the drivers." Well I did and that didn't work...I went out and bout a new sound card incase it was a problem with the actual card...and that didn't work.

When I try to play anything on Windows Media Player, it gives me error code

• Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
  • Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
  • You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000

I've even reinstalled the sound Codec. When I go into Control Panel and click Audio/Sound nothing pops up. It just sits there.

Is there any ideas. Possible virus? Any help would be appreciated.

I have windows XP Home edition, if you need anymore specs, just ask and I'll give them to you.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Open WMP, go to Tools, Options, Devices and wait till the window populates. Then highlight Speakers and click the Properties button.

Where it says, "Audio Device to Use", try changing to "Default Direct Sound Device". If that is already chosen, choose your soundcard from the dropdown list.

HTH

user.gif

Ask a Question