no sound

Reaction score
i am having trouble with my sound card. i have had to do a complete destructive system restore due to a serious crash,since then i have not been able to get sound card to work,some software i tried said that the multimedia audio controller drivers are not installed this is a problem due to i only have a system restore disc. i have a EI system laptop4416 using windows xp sp2 all updates have been downloaded,unable to use driver updates because the search comes back has no drivers installed. it would helpful if somebody could help me.thanks

Reaction score
i have belarc on my computer it is showing no multimedia device in the list.
device manager says manufacturer unknown. drivers for this device are not installed. code28. device instance id-PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_86401071&REV_AO13&61AAA01&1&17

this is all info available.

Reaction score
How long have you had the Laptop?
What was the reason for having to do a complete system restore?
What was the cause of it??

Reaction score
i have had laptop 2.5yrs
system crash /caused by internet explorer misteriously dissapearing causing complete system collapse,restore not worked.
no virus of anykind found at time.had to use manufactures help.to complete system restore. no drivers on system restore disc.may be able to get new discs sometime.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK have a look at the following:
Right click on My Computer, scroll down and click Properties, click on hardware and then device manager, look at "sound, video & games controllers" what is listed?

Reaction score
thankyou for your reply,i have been able to sort this problem out late last night. the items that where missing was audio codecs and realtek ac97, i did not know this at the time and i struggled for 2weeks trying everything i could i even downloaded driver genius pro to update my drivers that did not help,i then went to the techguy website and saw a link to download realtek ac97 drivers i took a chance that this could be what i was looking for. the link worked and i have got my sound back. so to recap what was needed to get sound back was the realtek ac97 software which contains audio codecs.for what i can remember the pieces missing were,media control devices,realtekAC97 audio,audio codecs,all these were reinstalled when i installed the realtek drivers. thankyou for your help which was appreciated.may be the resolution to my problem may help you help others with there sound problems. once again thankyou for your help.

Ask a Question