Best Sound Card for Best Quality of Music

Reaction score
I have a yamaha RXA1050 AV and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the best sound card and best physical connection to get best out of the music from my PC to my Amp please?

many thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice AV receiver you've got there :). What's your PC specs?

Personally, I'd aim to use HDMI audio passthrough rather than going down the HDMI video / Optical Audio route. If you've got a modern PC, you may find you can already get great audio passthough from your system over the existing HDMI.

My old HTPC system could output great 5.1 audio over HDMI to our Sony 1040 AV receiver (not Atmos like yours) and the quality was fantastic, better than optical out from other solutions.

Reaction score
Hi thank you for your reply.
I'm using a standard HDMI cable connected into my graphics card which is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640.
Looking in Device Manager under sound,video and game controllers it says NVIDIA High Definition Audio device as well as High Definition Audio Device.

My PC otherwise is old the Graphics Card I purchased 3 years ago.

Does this mean I shouldn't need to worry about changing anything and I'm already getting the best quality I can get for music when playing on my PC to the AV over HDMI?
Is there a recommendation as well for HDMI lead? I'm just using a standard £12 one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suspect your £12 HDMI cable is just fine :). Only the really cheap HDMI cables are problematic.

You probably are already getting the best sound on your amp - does it show you any audio information on the amp LCD or diagnostics page? On my Sony one, it'll let me know if it's playing DD5.1, PCM, etc... so I know if it's playing back as expected.

Ask a Question