Nikon 4100, will not power on

Reaction score
Hi,

My first posting here, on receommendation from Gabriella; been reviewing the forum, and it's a good forum to be a part of

I posted the follwong problem eslewhere, and though there is a lot of expertise there as well, this problem has not been resolved, there or anywhere ele yet; here is hoping this is the place with an answer:

" I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4100 digital camera on my last visit out of Africa, in the 3rd quarter of last year. The camera is out of (standard) warranty, which I think was 60 days or so. I purchased the camera from Comp Usa in the USA.

I can't have taken more than a handful of images, certainly never using more than a quarter of the 250mb SD card I purchased with it.

Last time I used the camera, batteries died on me in the filed. I changed the batteries the next day, and the camera will not power up any longer ...

I have tried brand new alkalines, I have tried re-chargeables, nothing. The power button is dead as a door-knob. I have cleaned the battery contacts in the battery compartment-lid, still nothing. Camera was working perfectly fine till this happened.

Let me ask the following, please:

1) Can anyone think of what may have caused this?

2) Has anyone read of a similar experience, with a posted solution, on another forum?

3) Assuming, and I am hoping that this is not the case, that I cannot solve this from the suggestions I am hoping to receive from this excellent forum, then I will have to wait till my next visit to the States (or England ) to have this fixed; anyone know a good digital camera repairer that could fix this???

Much obliged with any help, "

Just to add: I have cleaned the contacts, but it still doesn't work.

Thank you

Reaction score
Not sure if you got an earlier answer to your problem, but are you using the correct battery settings in the set-up menu? Check on page 96 of the manual which came with the camera for info, but the battery type setting may have reverted to the default setting.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I guess I missed out on this thread. Anyway, what scotson says makes sensbe no harm in checking that out.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Same as you Quad i missed out on this thread also....

And let me say while i'm here seeing as you are a super moderator that this has been happening for a little while now sometimes new posts just do not show up, when i first log on to the forum some posts do and yet some don't....

I don't know why its a bit of a mystery, could you please pass on this info to Ian as i know he is on holiday at the moment.....

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sometimes I too wonder and spend time manually checking each section (which is not possible all the time).

I did however subscribed to each section on the forum, you can also do the same thing and that may help.

Reaction score
Hi Scotson,

Since the camera won't power on, wonder how I can check the battery settings in the Menu ...?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Pastor41,

scotson says to check page 96 of the manual, I guess there must be a way. How about a manual switch or something in the battery compartment?

Reaction score
I have checked page 96 of the manual, it only mentions going to the menu, battery, etc., and shows you how to change the battery type, which I can't do because I can't power-on to go to Menu in the first place ...

No, there is nothing I can find either in the manual, or that I can see physically on the camera to reset.

Reaction score
Hi! Pastor41

Have read the manual regarding your camera, I do believe that the problem is that at some point during use it malfunctioned, if that is the case in all probability it has burnt the battery adaptor connection [inside] and rendered it useless, therefore I see no alternative other than having it checked by a qualified Nikon technician.

Sorry I could not rectify the matter.

As you say it is impossible to set the battery source due to the fact it does not turn on so I fear the aforesaid applies.

:(

Ask a Question