Next upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all, i just upgraded my 2000xp to a 3.0Eghz pentium based computer. I have never built or used a pentium system before but my first impressions are hot and noisy. Upon inspection my processor is running cooler than mu old one hoowever the board is hotter and it just well.. feels physically hotter (mainly the air inside the case. The only fan i have is the one on the processor and psu( bad idea?).

Anyway whats the next upgrade path 4 me?
around £100 - 125
water cooling (more quiet, less heat?)
my ram is pathetic 256mb of pc 2100, i cud get 1 gig of 3200
or a 9800 pro

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well you dont need to go water cooling to keep the temprature down and the noise level down, you could get a Thermalrite SP-94 heatsink, a bargain at £25, paired with a silent fan. That will keep the processor nice and cool. Then you could get a couple of those cheapy LED extractor fans, have them sucking air from the front and blowing out the back. That will keep your comp cool on the inside.

All that should be under £50 , now you got loads of dough left to buy better memory ;).

Reaction score
Radeon 9800pro £119.99 Delivered

or

1 Gb (2x 512Mb for Dual Channeling) Corsair PC3200 is £109.00 inc VAT

You don't say what temperature your CPU is at... You shouldn't be worried unless it goes above about 62 degrees C.

Reaction score
My cpu runs at 43 celcius.. which is 9 cooler than my 2000xp lol. I recon ill get £15 worth of extracting fans.. the air is way to hot and 1gig of ram , Cheers guys:):D :cool:

Reaction score
i wouldnt even bother with that!!

get a couple of 80mm case fans (2.64 each inc VAT, AKASA LED ones) and have them blowing the hot air out.

You would probably get the best performance out of 512Mb RAM and a 9800pro - i see in your sig you want to play games...

new graphics will definatly boost game performance more than memory BUT, and its a big one, i see you are running an 800MHz processor with 266MHz RAM (reccomeded is 400MHz RAM) so RAM is a priority.

Reaction score
One of these...

This

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of these (Cheapest on the net) Free delivery...

This

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of these too...

This

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris, what you're suggesting, although good, adds up to £243 plus shipping on some parts.

His budget is around £125.00.

I'd say what Consoles_Suck has chosen, extractor fans & memory, is by far the best option.

It's running cool enough at 43C, so imo no better cooler required.

Perhaps later a better video card can be added, when funds allow ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Dude, why didnt you say you were running at 43c, thats bloody excellent with a 3.0Ghz P4! My friend has a AMD 3000XP "Barton" , and a coolermaster Aero 7 pro cooler and is running at around 62c constantly, and it hasnt effected his comp, he can still play far cry and doom 3 with no probs. Just dot get too worried about heat, these things are built to take it ;).

Just get a 9800pro at £120 delivered and be done with it. Then maybe later on upgrade to 512 PC3200 memory, 256 PC2100 with hinder your gaming experience alot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
in my opinion, you are getting too worked up about the temps. I think things are fine as they are - just get the 9800pro (link now posted twice!!) and when you can afford it, get 2x 256mb sticks of corsair PC3200 RAM

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good grief Gentlemen, a difference of opinion ;)

This is only my opinion, but I still think lowering the case temps with the 2 fans and adding good memory will sort out the base machine and have it running sweet.

An FX5200 will still play a fair number of games, just not the latest titles.

Would you all not think it would be better to get the 'base system' as it were, running stable and on max, then consider upgrading video card? And the latest games cost a fair bit of money too.

At least with the groundwork done, Games that are around a year or two old will run fine.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
An FX5200 will still play a fair number of games, just not the latest titles.
I have one of those, and I find it pretty good :)

I can run Medal of Honour, Red Alert Generals, Sims 2, and various other stuff... depends what you want it for really; If you're looking to play Doom 3 it may not be up to the job, but it's fine for everything else.

The only thing I really want to upgrade with my PC is getting a DVD re-writer (only got a CD writer and DVD rom at the mo)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KGB/Comradeski: Crucial prices are about the same as Corsair Value. Both good brands.

Sexy Bexy (gawd, I love typing that, hehe): Pioneer A108 dual layer DVDRW is £55.00 for the next 6 days at Dabs, which is a pretty good deal.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Why thank you Mr. Bootstomp! ;)

I'll check out that DVDRW, thanks for the tip

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
The only thing I really want to upgrade with my PC is getting a DVD re-writer (only got a CD writer and DVD rom at the mo)
That is because you got the new digital camera! More pictures means more space and what better way to go than to get one of those nice DVD writers. Plextor 708a or 712A are two of the best writers on the market and not sure how much they will be in comparision to the Pioneer Mr Bootstomp suggested (and a good one). If they are not too expensive do keep them in your list if possible.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Wow ReefSmoka, your freinds computer runs at 62c? i have a Barton as well and i run at 45c on a full load! Hey Flops your right. I had a BFG tech Geforce 5200FX (AGP) never really had a problem with it, i could play Max Payne 2, that was good.

Reaction score
if ur worried about the temp - have a look at these -
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/products.aspx?cat=0&subcat=22&brand=101
but a 42 c - that great - my cpu is 52C right now and mobo is 30C - i can't fell any heat coming out my case (cold air)

I would recommend you get atleast 512 mb of ddr400(pc3200) - but would be better off with 1 gb - get the memory first !!

then get urself a radeon 9800 pro - would NOT run very fast with 256 mb - as i've tried it a few days ago in my old pc - 11 frame per sec on JO TR with 256, and 54 frame per sec with 1 gb !

what speed is the FSB on that mobo ?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
GONNA-GET-U said:
what speed is the FSB on that mobo ?
Should be 800Mhz, as seen here. So PC 3200 memory would really do justice to that lovely board and processor ;).

Ask a Question