Newsreader recommendations

Jay

Hi, I used to NNTP quite a bit a while back. I am back!
Specifically to post/learn about Vista. I used to access using Outlook
Express newsreader and all was well. However my ISP no longer carries
NNTP citing lack of demand :(

Currently I'm using Google Groups and although not bad (not bad at all
for a web interface). I'd like a more devoted app. Despite the group
name it will be for an XP Pro desktop. My Vista interest is on my
laptop

Mac

I use the latest MS app - Windows Live Mail - which includes a newsreader -
very similar to the old OE.

It is the future for mail/news for MS - you can try it here
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas.

All you need to do is configure your account(s), add the MS Community
newsgroups at the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP server that you want and you're
off...

Synapse Syndrome

Jay said:
Hi, I used to NNTP quite a bit a while back. I am back!
Specifically to post/learn about Vista. I used to access using Outlook
Express newsreader and all was well. However my ISP no longer carries
NNTP citing lack of demand :(

Currently I'm using Google Groups and although not bad (not bad at all
for a web interface). I'd like a more devoted app. Despite the group
name it will be for an XP Pro desktop. My Vista interest is on my
laptop

What the hell? If you are still going to post from XP, Outlook Express is
still there.

If you post from Vista you can use Windows Mail, which is basically OE7.

But isn't what you really are asking about is alternative NNTP newsserver
access??

ss.

Jay

What the hell? If you are still going to post from XP, Outlook Express is
still there.

If you post from Vista you can use Windows Mail, which is basically OE7.

But isn't what you really are asking about is alternative NNTP newsserver
access??

ss.

It is! My brain is still on the pillow.
Thanks

Jay

You can still use OE in XP to access these groups directly.

Tools, Accounts, add news server msnews.microsoft.com

KB

"Jay" wrote in message

Thanks and to add insult to embarrasment, I did that many times when I
was an NNTP regular. No idea what I was thinking.

Jay

Jay said:
Thanks and to add insult to embarrasment, I did that many times when I
was an NNTP regular. No idea what I was thinking.

And now I am back in my familiar world of OExpress.
I was worried that remembering a bunch of new stuff would make the old
knowledge fall out :)
Now all I have to remember is over-riding OE's top posting ways.

Jay

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jay said:
Hi, I used to NNTP quite a bit a while back. I am back!
Specifically to post/learn about Vista. I used to access using Outlook
Express newsreader and all was well. However my ISP no longer carries
NNTP citing lack of demand :(

Currently I'm using Google Groups and although not bad (not bad at all
for a web interface). I'd like a more devoted app. Despite the group
name it will be for an XP Pro desktop. My Vista interest is on my
laptop

If you want to use OE on WinXP, set up a news account for
msnews.microsoft.com
The server is free and does not require you to logon.

Jay

Frank Saunders said:
If you want to use OE on WinXP, set up a news account for
msnews.microsoft.com
The server is free and does not require you to logon.

Tis done!