Newbie: Question regarding printing photos

Rich

I have an Olympus Digital camera and I'd like to print borderless 4x6
prints. Using the default high quality setting on the camera to take
pictures I end up with a huge file, probably about 11x14. When I try to
print this to 4x6 photo paper the wider edge shows a margin on either side
of the photo. I'm not even sure what question to ask. I would like the
photo to print on the whole paper rather than leaving the borders on the
edges. Does anyone have any suggestions as to tutorials or methods to use
to get the image to the right size without cropping parts of the photo?

Printer is a Canon i950 BTW.

Thanks much,
Rich

Michael A. Covington

What image processing software are you using?

In general, the thing to do is go to "image size" and choose a higher
resolution (larger number of pixels per inch) without resampling the image.

Either that, or choose "fit to page" and make sure the software knows you
are printing on 4x6 paper.

Rich

I'm using PhotoShop and PhotoDeluxe's EasyPhoto. I'll check to see if they
have that 'fit to page' option.
Thanks,
Rich

Charlie

I have an Olympus Digital camera and I'd like to print borderless 4x6
prints. Using the default high quality setting on the camera to take
pictures I end up with a huge file, probably about 11x14. When I try to
print this to 4x6 photo paper the wider edge shows a margin on either side
of the photo. I'm not even sure what question to ask. I would like the
photo to print on the whole paper rather than leaving the borders on the
edges. Does anyone have any suggestions as to tutorials or methods to use
to get the image to the right size without cropping parts of the photo?

Printer is a Canon i950 BTW.

Thanks much,
Rich

Rich, Basically, you can't do it. To print 4 x 6 photos, you MUST crop
your image. I don't know of any digital camera that produces an image
in the ration of 4 to 6.

In Photoshop, set the cropping tool to the ration of 4 x 6, and then
move it around to get the best composition. Then print htat cropped
image.

Charlie Hoffpauir
[STOP THE GRAND PARKWAY]
http://members.manvel.net/charlieh/

xNokia3390x

Charlie said:
Rich, Basically, you can't do it. To print 4 x 6 photos, you MUST crop
your image. I don't know of any digital camera that produces an image
in the ration of 4 to 6.

I just bought an Olympus D-560 and I always use the WindowsXP built in tool
to print 4x6's. I've always done that. Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't like
dealing with PS or any of the other photo programs. All I do is enhance the
photo the way I want, leave it at whatever size it was at before and let
WinXP make the appropriate changes.

FredBillie

<< From: "Rich" (e-mail address removed)
Date: Sun, Nov 23, 2003 7:20 PM

I have an Olympus Digital camera and I'd like to print borderless 4x6
prints. Using the default high quality setting on the camera to take
pictures I end up with a huge file, probably about 11x14. When I try to
print this to 4x6 photo paper the wider edge shows a margin on either side
of the photo. I'm not even sure what question to ask. I would like the
photo to print on the whole paper rather than leaving the borders on the
edges. Does anyone have any suggestions as to tutorials or methods to use
to get the image to the right size without cropping parts of the photo?

Printer is a Canon i950 BTW.

Thanks much,
RichUse the software that came with your i950. It can print borderless 4X6 prints
BUT, it does it by overscanning the photo to get your 4X3 camera ratio to fit
on a 4X^ print. You can’t otherwise get a photo that is not a 6/4 ratio to
fit on a 6X4 sheet without losing a portion of the picture. However, having
said that, if your picture does not have important visual elements right up to
its edge, you won’t notice and probably should not mind. Remember, a 4X3
ratio picture (I believe your camera has that ratio) is going to be 6X4.5 when
enlarged and you will loose some material on the short side. If you take a shot
with a head very close to the top of the frame and take it to a photo processor
for 4X6 prints, you are probably going to loose part of the top of the head.

Even if you crop your pictures to a 3/2 (6/4) ratio with your computer before
hand, many programs won’t print full bleeds but the software that came with
your Canon should be able to do this.

The software is called “Image Browser “ on a Mac and something similar on
PCs.

Rich

So, basically I can do it by resizing and losing some of the image along the
shorter edge or keep the entire shot but have the borders. I wonder why I
bought that pack of 'Canon Photo Paper for borderless' printing in a 4x6
size then. I guess I'll have to be careful when taking photos to allow for
the loss of a part of the image.

Thanks everyone.
Rich

Charlie said:
[...]

Joe Hayes

Well you should always assume a tad bit of loss whenever you take a picture.
Even the developed prints you get from traditional film are cropped a
bit--just look at the negatives.

Rich said:
So, basically I can do it by resizing and losing some of the image along the
shorter edge or keep the entire shot but have the borders. I wonder why I
bought that pack of 'Canon Photo Paper for borderless' printing in a 4x6
size then. I guess I'll have to be careful when taking photos to allow for
the loss of a part of the image.

That's right. 4x6 corresponds to the shape of a 35-mm film negative, which
is 1 x 1.5 inches (a ratio of 2 to 3).

Digital cameras are like a TV camera, with a ratio of 3 to 4.

So a little will be lost off the edges, one way or another.

Mike S.

Rich, Basically, you can't do it. To print 4 x 6 photos, you MUST crop
your image. I don't know of any digital camera that produces an image
in the ration of 4 to 6.

My Olympus C5050 has resolutions with 2:3 aspect ratio, for the specific
purpose of shooting for printing in standard photo papewr sizes.

Timothy Lee

Charlie said:
Rich, Basically, you can't do it. To print 4 x 6 photos, you MUST crop
your image. I don't know of any digital camera that produces an image
in the ration of 4 to 6.
Um, Kodak? Mine does 2448 x 1632