Newbie: Light-weight database for a C# client app? MSDE?

Jackie Goldstein

You may want to check out (the upcoming) SQL Server 2005 Express, which is the next generation replacement for MSDE. Besides the SQL 2005 engine, it address the main shortcomings/complications of MSDE.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx

Take Care,

Jackie Goldstein

Microsoft Regional Director - http://www.microsoft.com/rd/

Author of "Database Access with Visual Basic .NET" - http://tinyurl.com/6bna

Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/jackieg

http://www.renaissance.co.il

From:Ed Sutton [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:34 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
Conversation: Newbie: Light-weight database for a C# client app? MSDE?
Subject: Newbie: Light-weight database for a C# client app? MSDE?

nntp://news.microsoft.COM/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet/<#[email protected]>

Do all database solutions require a database server to be installed on
the client?

My goal is to reduce installer complications and bloat and an evolution
path to a smart-client version where the database is located on a
centralized Internet server.

The options in "The MSDE Deployment Toolkit (RC) in Action" sound like
they are going to complicate my install and result in more tech support
calls.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmsde/html/msdedepl.asp

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

Ed Sutton

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of "SQL Server 2005 Express". I
will keep this in mind for future development.

-Ed