New window opens blank

Gregg Hill

Hello!

I have two systems, 98SE and NT4, that cannot open pages in new windows. The
new window opens, but nothing loads. If I hit Stop, then Refresh, the page
loads in the new window. I have read a bunch of articles that refer to the
steps outlined below, but these two machines do not even have the
"URL:hypertext transfer protocol" entry in File Types. I cannot ADD the file
type, since it asks for a default extension, and on a working computer,
there is no default extension. I have re-registered files, also, as noted
below.

***************
Edit the File Association
Edit the "URL:hypertext transfer protocol" file association to associate
this type of file with Internet Explorer:

Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
On the View menu, click Folder Options (or Options).
Click the File Types tab, click URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol in the
Registered File Types box, and then click Edit.
In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit.
Click Browse, navigate to the \Program Files\Internet Explorer folder, click
the Iexplore.exe file, click Open, click OK, click Close, and then click
Close.

NOTE: You may also need to repeat these steps for the following file
associations:
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
URL:File Transfer Protocol
URL:Gopher Protocol
***********************

Re-registered files:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll (only applicable to Windows ME, Windows 2000 and XP -
if using an earlier operating system, run regsvr32 shdoc401.dll)

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

***********************

Hotfix for urlmon.dll, article 823386, fails to make any difference either.

How can I make the "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol" entry in the Registered
File Types box when it does not exist?

Thanks for helping!

Gregg Hill

DVarnau

In my File Types list (WinME) URL:hypertext transfer protocol is listed
under

N/A URL:hypertext transfer protocol

Could that be making it hard for you to find? It threw me the first time.

Don

Gregg Hill

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked again and it does not appear anywhere
in the list on either machine.

Anybody else? Please???

Gregg Hill

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

Gregg Hill said:
[...]

Additional information for this problem.

When attempting to open any link in a new window, the new window opens, but
there is nothing in the address bar. If I hit Stop, the address appears in
the address bar, and hitting Enter results in the page opening.

As far as the NT4 machine is concerned, it has no URL:HyperText Transfer
Protocol entry in the File Types, but neither does another NT4 computer that
is working properly. Microsoft has a new Urlmon.dll file that I called to
get (article 823386), but it makes no difference in the operation of the
blank window opening on the NT4 computer. I have not had a chance to try it
on the 98 computer.

Can anyone PLEASE help with this problem?

Thank you!

Gregg Hill

Gregg Hill

Don,

On Saturday, I went back to my client and on the Win98 computer, I tried all
the steps in the first link you gave me, only to end up at the line stating
"It has been noted that replacing OLEAUT32.dll will work when all else has
failed."

I then used SFC to restore oleaut32.dll and it is now working just fine,
thank you very much! The version of oleaut32.dll was 3.5xxx, while the
original is 2.7 something. Next thing is replacing it on the server, but I
am not sure if using mcrepair.exe is safe, since this is NT4 and not 95/98.
I'll probably just use "inuse.exe" to replace only the oleaut32.dll file on
the server.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Gregg Hill