New users in AD do not show in GAL on some Outlook Clients?

Scott Townsend

When we add new users/groups to AD and give them a Mailbox, what is the
Process for Propagating that new entry to the User's Outlook?

We have the Following:
Exchange 2003 Server - Win2003- HQ
AD DC1 Win2003 - HQ
AD DC2 Win2003 - HQ
AD DC3 Win2000 - HQ
AD DC4 Win2003 - Location 2
AD DC5 Win2003 - Location 3

All the DCs replicate with AD DC1 & AD DC2, Forced Manual Replication

Outlook 2003 Clients

New User Added to AD was at 9:30AM PST

I'm at HQ and my Outlook Client (Cached Mode) has had the update for Several
Hours.
Outlook Client on Terminal Server (Not Cached Mode) has the Update
Outlook Client (Cached Mode) at Location 2 have the Update.
Outlook Client (Cached Mode) at Location 3 Does not have the Update.
I've had them force a Send Receive of the GAL.

How is this all supposed to work?

Thank you,
Scott<

neo [mvp outlook]

Couple of thoughts since Outlook is in cached mode...

1) Offline address book needs to be rebuilt (assuming done since location 2
picked up the change)

2) Public folder replication (assuming replication delays if there are
multiple public folder servers in exchange site)

Just remember that Outlook 2K3 and newer clients can see a delay of 24 hours
before seeing entry changes due to the default configuration of Exchange 2K3
rebuild of the oab once a day @ 4/5am & Outlook's pulling of the OAB once
every 24 hours.

Scott Townsend

Anyway to force the Polling or rebuild? I've added a new Address List, they
can see the new list with the new users, though the GAL still does not have
the new user.

Hmmm...

Thanks!
\

neo [mvp outlook]

Yes on OAB rebuild at the server. Open Exchange System Manager > expand
Recipients > expand Offline Address Lists > r-click on Default Offline
Address Book and select rebuild. Don't forget that you can change the
schedule of the rebuild by r-clicking here and select properties (option is
at the bottom).

Outlook's design is kind of ugly here... best thing is to configure a
send/receive group to pull the OAB more often, but it won't do any good
unless the site is rebuilding the OAB multiple times a day.

Scott Townsend

So on the server I've done the Update/Rebuild of the lists

On the Client I've had them do the Download Address Book. int he
Send/Receieve
My New Address List Shows up in the Drop Down, If they Download both, the
GAL still does not show the new user. The new Address List does.

Hmmm...

Thanks!

neo [mvp outlook]

How big is your GAL? (The rebuild isn't fast)

Did you know that you can browse to the hidden system folder that contains
the offline address book to see if the new copy is available?

Scott Townsend

300 Users maybe? Not real big.

Its in the GAL, I'm sure of it as Its on my client and other in the Office.
Just not a few users in the office.

I've had them reboot and all sorts of things with no luck. )-;

Thank you for your assistance.

neo [mvp outlook]

Tried deleting the *.oab files off one of problematic end user workstations.
Path is:

Documents and Settings\<userid>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

chace zhang

Hi Scott,

Thank you for posting here!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our outlook newsgroup,
to which I have already responded. Please check my answer there, and if
you need any further assistance on this particular issue please reply to me
in that thread so I can follow up with you. In the future, please don't
cross-post the same question in multiple newsgroups. This will help our
engineers work on your question more efficiently. Your understanding and
cooperation is appreciated.

For your convenience, I have included my reply as follows:

------------------
Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

I appreciate Neo' input, and I agree with his solution. In general, outlook
uses Offline Address Book in Cached Exchange Mode which will update every
24-48 hours. Let me have a further explanation as below.

Cached Exchange Mode is the new feature in Outlook 2003. When you are
running in cached mode, your Exchange mailbox is synchronized to a local
file (an .ost file), and the offline address list from your Exchange
computer is synchronized to a collection of files (.oab files) on your
client computer. Outlook directly accesses the .ost file and the .oab files
on your hard disk instead of communicating directly with your server or
servers. When compose a mail in OWA and write the SMTP address as
recipient, the OWA will query GC directly. However Outlook in Cached
Exchange Mode will query local oab file.

You can follow the instruction in the article below to force Outlook
connecting GC for GAL instead of downloading OAB when Outlook is in Cached
Exchange Mode.

Administering the Offline Address Book in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841273

Let's perform the following steps on this issue:

Step 1.

Log on these users' mailbox via OWA, can you find the New Users in GAL?

Step 2.

On the problematic client, create another profile for user at location 3,
do not use cache mode, can you see the new users or groups in GAL?
To do so:
How to create new Outlook profile
======================
1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.

2. Click Switch to Classic View, and then click the Mail icon.

3. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click the Show Profiles button.

4. On the General tab, click to select the "Prompt for a profile to be
used" check
box and then click Add.

5. In the Profile Name box, type a descriptive name for the new profile,
and then
click OK.

6. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and
then
click Next.

7. Select the appropriate server type for your new e-mail account, and then
click
Next.

8. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click "Next
and
Finish" as needed.

9. In the Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box, click on the Advanced tab.
Do not put checkmarks in the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox.

10. Click OK. Restart Outlook, then select the new profile when the "Choose
Profile" dialog prompts and click OK.

If you need more information, please follow the article below:

829918 OL2003: How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;829918

Hope this helps, if you have any other concerns on this issue, please feel
free to let me know.

------------------

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

| From: "neo [mvp outlook]" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: New users in AD do not show in GAL on some Outlook Clients?
| Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:33:02 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin,microsoft.public.outlook.general